• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    CONSTANTINE REJECTED, Sir. Have you heard that?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhhhh.
    No.
    shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. My first reaction when I think of Darkness Falls is that it consistently good throughout. Then I remember that it's only really "Evil Rises" and "End Titles" that hits the mark!

And if you don't like those cues from Darkness Falls then you're not going to like Timeline! Unlike, Darkness Falls there are numerous outstanding tracks in Timeline - and it's a much better listen than Goldsmith's rejected score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To be honest I found neither effort on Timeline - Tyler's OR Goldsmith's - much to write home about.
    But hey-ho. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Angelo Badalementi? I've only heard his "Twin Peaks" and it drives me crazy..

Dario Marianelli? But that's only because I'm only familiar with The Brothers Grimm, I'm sure once I get familiar with some of his more romantically-inclined stuff I'll understand.

David Newman? Thomas Newman? They seem to have WAY too much boring underscore.

Elliot Goldenthal? But only because I lack patience.

Eric Serra? Because he's never done anything notable...

Jerry Goldsmith? (my blasphemous choice) I have over 10 of his scores now...and while I think his sense of melody is PURE GENIOUS, the rest of his scores leave me cold for the most part. Total Recall, for example, I don't understand the attraction, given that it lacks the gorgeous melodies of similar actions scores like Air Force One, First Contact, etc.

John Ottman...do I have to explain?

Michael Giacchino...this one is more iffy because i LOVE some of his stuff...but his more jazz-influenced stuff tends to turn me off. Too many saxophones and such for me. But MoH and Lost!!!!!!

Michael Kamen...I've only heard Three Mustketeers and X-Men and they both bore me to death

Tyler Bates...because he's a thief!!!! lol...just kidding...but only sort of wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    It seems to me that williamsians are rarely morriconians and vice-versa. Not surprisingly considering how different their styles are. Perhaps I'm an exception though since I dig both.

Oh, I think things have mellowed down considerably as far as that's concerned.
    I love a lot of what Williams has done.
    Some material though leaves me stone cold.

I love (in no mean part thanks to some suggestions made by an eminent Morricone expert on this board wink ) a lot of what Morricone has done.
    Some material though leaves me stone cold.

What's very special though is that when either composer is good, I mean really good, like brilliant, it evokes the same emotional response from me. So for me both composers, in an emotional quality, are completely comparable. Equal even. punk

Well said, couldn't agree more.

In fact it applies to every composer I can think of?!....at least, every composer I care about.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    IF you haven't heard at least those people, please don't be mistaken, The Greatest game ever played is NOT a good sample, not representative of his work at all.

Maybe not, but is a fun listen. Even if it's full of temp track I can't help to like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHansP
    Mikael,

you are sadly mistaken, I am afraid.... wink
    We'll always have Paris...
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    This is hard... there are a couple of composers I have had trouble with in the past, like Franz Waxman and Thomas Newman (some of you old timers may or may not remember some heated discussions between me and Christian (former forum member) over a certain Shawshank Redemption score...) but mainly, this has passed and especially Waxman I enjoy quite much nowadays. Newman is still... well, let's say that some of his work can play totally unnoted by me.

Then there is a couple of composers which I think I need to listen to more to fully appreciate, like Alexandre Desplat and Michael Giacchino, but I have only heard a couple of scores each, and I think it is too early to really judge yet. But what I have heard have not moved me very much, I must admit.

And I guess the most problematic composer "relationship" of mine is that with Jerry Goldsmith. His music can be so intelligent, so impressive in many ways, but in over half of the cases, the music just fails to move. And I want to be moved, so we have a problem. I still collect his scores, since most of them are rewarding on close listen, but I find that in many cases I need much concentration to get through a Goldsmith score.

But one can't like everything of course. smile
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Manwe wrote
    (some of you old timers may or may not remember some heated discussions between me and Christian (former forum member) over a certain Shawshank Redemption score...)

What ever happened to him? He used to be a very avid poster.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    I think he decided that since he sometimes got so emotionally involved in the discussions here it was best that he did not participate. And I think he wanted more time to work on his book as well (now published). Long time since I heard from him, though. Hope he is allright.
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Me too. Yes, I remember he was quite passionate.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What is it about Steiner that you can't connect with? Gone With the Wind, Now Voyager, Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Caine Mutiny. I'm confused confused
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Most of Steiner's music I've heard (which isn't a lot admittedly) just sounds too "old" for my modern ears. I don't not like it because it's old (I'm a classical music fan remember!), but because it's so in tune with the times it was written for, it just doesn't do much for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Ahhhhh.
    No.
    shame

CONSTANTINE REJECTED (VIDEO FROM THE RECORDING SESSIONS)

http://briantyler.com/video/constantine.html

Here kind Sir, turn the volume up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven, have you ever listened to Treasure of the Sierra Madre? I don't think it sounds old at all, in fact one heck of a lot better than The Unforgiven, a more modern western.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If I may butt in for a second:

TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE is quite good, I agree, and I actually have several Steiners in my collection. However, MY big problem with him is twofold: one is the predisposition towards utilizing excerpts from all kinds of traditional songs in his scores, the other is the emphasis on mickey-mousing. Both of these aspects make the listening experience quite "schizophrenic". But obviously, they usually work in their respective movies, and it's not undeserved that he is considered the "father" of modern film music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of the few I've listened to, yes. And I would agree that it doesn't have that "old" sound I'm referring to (for the most part), but it's still not a score I particularly enjoy.
  2. sdtom wrote
    What is it about Steiner that you can't connect with? Gone With the Wind, Now Voyager, Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Caine Mutiny. I'm confused confused

As you know Tom, I am familiar with a fair bit of scores from Golden Agers, but there's something about Steiner's writing that doesn't seem to click with me. Sometimes he seems to just try too hard when he composes for film. A bit over the top, forcing emotions out of you rather than coaxing them out.

Does that make any sense?

His scores such as King Kong, She, Johnny Belinda and Helen of Troy I enjoy (as well as a lot of Gone With The Wind) but they all have that forcefulness to a greater or lesser degree.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    BRIAN TYLER

DARKNESS FALLS
    FRAILTY
    CHILDREN OF DUNE
    CONSTANTINE
    TIMELINE
    THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT

IF you haven't heard at least those people, please don't be mistaken, The Greatest game ever played is NOT a good sample, not representative of his work at all.

DARKNESS FALLS - haven't heard it
    FRAILTY - neither
    CHILDREN OF DUNE - pretty good score, but nothing groundbreaking and includes a Now We Are Free wannabe, that doesn't make me gain respect to a composer. My favorite cue (Summon the Worms) has Goldsmith written all over it.
    CONSTANTINE - heard parts of it - the original album. I turned it off in half I think, but I remember actually liking Badelt's material more than the Tyler cues left on album
    TIMELINE - heard it once. I prefer the Goldsmith score myself
    THe Fast and the Furious 3 - I decided to seriously avoid that score after hearing parts of Paparazzi, which was an MV wannabe.

WAR - decent score, but I could see many others doing that one better.

My experience with this man doesn't make me really believe much in him. In fact hearing him being assigned for Rambo IV made me decide to pass on the movie, even if I didn't really anticipate it. Sorry, D, I don't think this is a composer for me...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    My favorite cue (Summon the Worms) has Goldsmith written all over it.

Rather it has Mancini written all over it. It's basically a revamped version of his Lifeforce theme. Though still changed enough that the pieces can be enjoyed individually.

Nothing too original that score, perhaps temp tracked to bits. But overall it still remains a fantastic listen, to my ears at least.

Peter cow
  4. That's the problem I have with Tyler. He seems to love temp-track. His scores seem to show me that he not only doesn't protest about using temp-tracks but even likes revamping it...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I can imagine that composers often have little say in the matter. If a director has his mind set, then there isn't much to do about it, unless he wants to suffer the consequences.

That said, I don't really mind temp tracked compositions. I can enjoy the "Lifeforce" theme and "Summon the worms" as individual compositions, and that's all that matters to me. I don't want to look down on a composer because he has had the misfortune of some director breathing down his neck.

Peter smile
  5. I have to say, I've never been able to get into Michael Kamen. All his scores are just mediocre to me. And if I'm supposed to be impressed by a certain score (I remember someone saying First Knight was great), when I've heard it, I don't hear or feel what's so great. I think Kamen and I, we're just not in tune with each other. And I had The Three Musketeers as one of my earlier scores, so I guess we've always kind of had a history of not clicking.
  6. I have tried to like his music though - really. I didn't leave it at one score, I just haven't gone beyond 5 or so...*sigh*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I have to say, I've never been able to get into Michael Kamen. All his scores are just mediocre to me. And if I'm supposed to be impressed by a certain score (I remember someone saying First Knight was great), when I've heard it, I don't hear or feel what's so great. I think Kamen and I, we're just not in tune with each other. And I had The Three Musketeers as one of my earlier scores, so I guess we've always kind of had a history of not clicking.

what scores did you try so far?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I have to say, I've never been able to get into Michael Kamen. All his scores are just mediocre to me. And if I'm supposed to be impressed by a certain score (I remember someone saying First Knight was great), when I've heard it, I don't hear or feel what's so great. I think Kamen and I, we're just not in tune with each other. And I had The Three Musketeers as one of my earlier scores, so I guess we've always kind of had a history of not clicking.

First Knight is Jerry Goldsmith, not Kamen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Oh, oops, you're right. Haha :D I didn't mean to say First Knight, I meant to say Robin Hood. Was thinking one thing and typing another.

Michael Kamen scores I have/tried:

Don Juan DeMarco
    Mr. Holland's Opus
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
    The Three Musketeers
    101 Dalmations

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok, listen to BAND OF BROTHERS and OPEN RANGE and then we'll talk again. Trust me on this one smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love the way Demetris says "...and we'll talk again." biggrin (But you're right, certainly for the former. shocked )