• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Well, that's always better than the tiger following Timmer's fresh tracks!

shocked shocked shocked

Imagine how I might have felt if after 10 minutes I noticed the tracks were forming a circle!!!?

biggrin

So, what did you find at the end of the trail?

A Rhino shocked

We stayed very quiet and carefully backed off.

As for the Tiger we never got to see it, quite rightly they are wary of humans.....or the Rhino scared it off!??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009
    Sounds very cool, I see no reason why I can't go see it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. What a coincidence, I just ran into one of the producers of this series earlier this afternoon. I had no idea about the concert, I'm definitely up for it, it would be good to meet you guys and maybe grab a beer or two before or after. Should we perhaps do a group booking?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    A review of the concert in Bristol:
    http://thebeekblog.blogspot.com/2009/09 … vents.html

Did any of you go Tim or James?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    ...and me! shame
  2. Maybe not one of THE greatest of nature's events, but my experience today (my apologies to those who have already read this over at Facebook) shows that amazing natural events are happening all around us:

Drama in the garden! I was about to fill the garden feeders this afternoon and had just opened the door leading out to the back garden. I noticed that there was a lot of noise coming from the house sparrows' favourite place in the garden - the pyrocanthus bush. Nothing unusual in that I thought as they usually make a commotion, then fly off, when we fill the feeders.

But today the calls were particularly alarmed. Then sparrows began emerging from the bush. Not just in their usual alarmed state. This time they were exiting the bush like bullets from a gun - I'd never seen them emerge so fast before. One sparrow flew straight into a conifer...not voluntarily but just flew straight into it because it was flying so fast. I heard another sparrow crash into our wooden fence as it made its escape from the bush.

There was a momentary lull in the bush and then there emerged a sparrowhawk; it just popped out the side of the bush about a foot above the ground. It was sat on the lawn for a moment looking at me. I thought that it had been dazed as a result of its encounter with the bush. But it was just composing itself for, after 5-10 seconds, it flew off - holding a house sparrow in its talons.

I've seen a sparrowhawk trying it's luck before in the garden but only as it swooped through the garden, chancing that it would force a bird to take flight so it could snatch it on the way through. But this is the first time I have seen anything like this - and all happening about six feet away.

It was a good 30 minutes before anything came back into the garden.

Nature can be spectacular, even in your back garden.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    One sparrow flew straight into a conifer...not voluntarily but just flew straight into it because it was flying so fast. I heard another sparrow crash into our wooden fence as it made its escape from the bush.

That's funny! biggrin

What was the look on your face Alan? wink

I had to look up what exactly a sparrowhawk is and the first Google hit was a page on the site of RSPB, a abbreviation I'm now familiar with since you first mentioned it some time ago. Not as big as I expected, but I can understand why it caused a stir! smile
    Kazoo
  3. An animal giving birth:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Qeh6KA6H8#t=0m30s
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There was a momentary lull in the bush and then there emerged a sparrowhawk; it just popped out the side of the bush about a foot above the ground. It was sat on the lawn for a moment looking at me. I thought that it had been dazed as a result of its encounter with the bush. But it was just composing itself for, after 5-10 seconds, it flew off - holding a house sparrow in its talons.

And that is why I want a garden.

Peter smile
  4. A garden is great to have - our is pretty small by comparison to many people I know (ours must be about 30 ft x 10 ft). But having a garden doesn't stop nature from impressing.

You have windows? (I am not trying to be a smart-ass) You may be lucky enough to see something in the street, in any greenery you can see, in the sky, even on the buildings.

There's always something about. For years I just assumed that, because our garden was so small, nothing was happening. But encouraging things into the garden (or into any environment) makes things happen.

With birding for example, if you have no garden and are in a flat that's not on the ground floor, putting out some seed on a window ledge may attract birds to feed right in front of the window. You can get seed trays that stick to windows. And it you attract birds to your windows you may just attract predators that would like a small bird for a meal.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, it doesn't have to be huge. It might be a surprise to most people, but bird-wise areas with gardens are among the most densely populated areas in "nature", since there is so much food and good hiding places and breeding places for the birds.

I frequently fantasize about having a huge garden and making it a miniature nature reserve, with as much biodiversity as possible. A big compost pile for beetles, flowers that attact a lot of butterflies and hoverflies and trees and bushes with fruit and berries that will satisfy as many different bird species as possible. I think with the right research, one can attract all kinds of unique birds and critters.

Good advice, Alan. I do actually have a balcony, where I've fed birds before. It took some days for them to find it, but after they did, it became very popular. Started with a blue tit, then a great tit, and within long I had about 10 tree sparrows and a house sparrow having a party on my balcony. It's a bit different with balconies though, because all that bird crap has to be cleaned up sooner or later.

I always keep an eye out for what's going on out there, even though it's not exactly a wild area I live in. I saw some migrating honey buzzards from my balcony last year for instance, which was very cool.

Peter smile
  5. Tree sparrows!! I keep scanning the house sparrows that like to sit in/on our pyrocanthus bush (we regularly have 25-30 house sparrows in there - though there's one less now) to see if any are tree sparrows. But no luck yet.

At the weekend here in the UK we had the RSPB-organised Big Garden Bird Watch. This involves watching your garden for an hour and monitoring the number of different species of bird that visits over the hour as well as counting the total number of each species seen at any one time.

We had 13 species of bird visit in the hour: great tit, blue tit, coal tit, house sparrow, dunnock, goldfinch, chaffinch, robin, nuthatch, wren, starling, collared dove & blackbird.

There were also 5-6 other species that we could have expected to see over that time, but they didn't show up until after the hour was up.

The RSPB then collates all the submitted data and gets an idea of how garden birds are doing in the UK.
  6. BTW Peter, if your interested, I've started doing a year list (the first time that I have done this) - keeping tabs on the number of different species of birds seen over the year. Currently my tally stands at 75 different species, with my garden list standing at 21 different species!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ahh, that's funny. Around here tree sparrows are rather more common than house sparrows. In fact they are steadily increasing in numbers all over Denmark while house sparrows are decreasing, making some people fear that the tree sparrow will one day completely have taken over. I kinda prefer house sparrows though, because of their sexual dimorphism, which means that there's twice as much to look at. wink

Interesting event, that Big Garden Watch. Something I also would enjoy participating in had I been in your shoes.

Do you otherwise have any places to report your findings? There's a couple of huge databases here in Denmark where people report all their observations. It's very clever, that I can go and check out every day which birds have been observed and where. It's a very good way to find interesting birds, to use other people's findings. If you know of any such english sites, I'd be very interested, since I'm in England from time to time.

Yes, I'm very interested in your year list. Perhaps we should have a competition going. wink My tally so far is only 45, so you're way ahead. I had my last exam this morning though, so I plan to do some intensive birding the following days.

Peter smile
  7. Not sure about a competition! I just like keeping a tally of what's new for the year. I know of some people who NEED to keep increasing their year list and will set off for far-flung places to add another "tick" to their list.

There are some organisations where you can submit sightings that go into a database. The main one I suppose is the BTO's (British Trust For Ornithology) which has a whole number of volunteer surveys you can do. The main one is Birdtrack which records sightings across the UK. I have the Birdtrack app on my phone so I can see what's been logged locally, but I haven't registered with the survey and so I don't log any of my sightings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013 edited
    Just a friendly and harmless "competition" of course. It's fun to see how we're both progressing over the year.

I like seeing new species, both to get my precious tick when I see new species and to get photos. I have a collecting spirit about both of these, though I'm far from a fanatic. The birds are what really matters of course, and I feel joy from the most common birds as well.

Thanks for the two links. The bto server seems to be down for the moment, but I'll try later.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017
    hope everyone in the hurricane's way is safe sad
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.