• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009 edited
    Shows include:
    The Simpsons
    Futurama
    South Park
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    Robot Chicken
    King of the Hill

I think of all the animated comedy shows out there that The Simpsons (early seasons were great) and Futurama are the strongest, because they rely on character based humour for the most part. Jokes were funny because of it would be in the character's personality to say it. Then the Simpsons went downhill after season 10, when it became a cartoon. Futurama got cancelled unfortunately. South Park has become more deliberate in its use of shock humour to make a point, but early South Park were brilliant because they are satirical commentaries on normal life (as was the Simpsons). Family Guy was funny but when it came back, it sucked something awful. It's just random joke, random joke, bit of story, musical number, random joke, bit of story, etc. American Dad is the same thing. Robot Chicken is amusing but nothing more. King of the Hill has commendably been on for 10 years (without finding an audience), but that being said I never liked it (the characters are totally unlikable). It's like tennis, where you always hear about it being on, but you know no one who follows it.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2009
    Can we put this in the Film/TV section?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All very good. But they're no Tom & Jerry.
  1. Steven wrote
    All very good. But they're no Tom & Jerry.

I think this statement alone brings this thread to a close. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    KevinSmith wrote:
    Family Guy was funny but when it came back, it sucked something awful. It's just random joke, random joke, bit of story, musical number, random joke, bit of story, etc.

That couldn't be further from the truth. The newer Family Guy episodes are positively dripping in satirical wit. McFarlene takes the piss in the most wonderfully perceptive way in the latter seasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SOUTH PARK rules all, with FAMILY GUY closely coming second.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought the earlier years of The Simpsons were extremely witty, though it's now a shadow of its former self. Futurama had its moments.

On the other hand, always thought South Park was just peurile, and I tried (and expected to like) Family Guy but didn't see anything particularly funny about it, so gave up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What did you see from FAMILY GUY?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Can't remember now. I watched three or four of the earlier episodes after people recommended it to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd recommend starting from season 1 episode 1, it makes a lot more sense as the characters and the central situations / relationships with one another are introduced and developed as the season proceeds, instead of watching isolated episodes from latter seasons without really knowing what happens smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd suggest starting from season 5 if you don't like the earlier episodes. That's where it really began to grow into something different. I love where they're taking Stewie's character...

Futurama is God.

(But Tom & Jerry still rules.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stewie is God.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'd suggest starting from season 5 if you don't like the earlier episodes. That's where it really began to grow into something different. I love where they're taking Stewie's character...

Futurama is God.

(But Tom & Jerry still rules.)

Classic Tom & Jerry...hot damn yeah! punk Ruinned by cheap crappy animation in much later years ( i.e. After Fred Quimby ). All the classic WB cartoons as well, Bugs, Syvester & Tweetey Pie, Roadrunner.......

I can barely handle South Park for one simple reason; I can't STAND the style of animation, it seriously iritates.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Although i love your signature, still i have to disagree with you my dear friend. Once you get over the style of animation, you'll quickly get used to that and it will go unnoticed for the sake of the constant, hard laughs you'll be getting from the witty show and the lovable characters!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Although i love your signature, still i have to disagree with you my dear friend. Once you get over the style of animation, you'll quickly get used to that and it will go unnoticed for the sake of the constant, hard laughs you'll be getting from the witty show and the lovable characters!

I'm afraid I can't D. I DO watch the show and it DOES make me laugh out loud but the style I'll NEVER get over.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    South Park = punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

As I said D....I do find it funny.

But asking me to accept the style of animation is like me asking you to appreciate the beautiful octagonal symetry of the spider....it ain't gonna happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Things are black in white in D's world, you have to remember that Tim! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

No, you got it wrong again. crazy When will you learn? Things in my world are round and juicy!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

No, you got it wrong again. crazy When will you learn? Things in my world are round and juicy!

Of course! Greece is full of olives.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2009 edited
    They really do need to stop making The Simpsons. The first nine series were excellent but the new episodes feel diluted. Meanwhile, bring on more Family Guy! It doesn't necessarily have as many gags as The Simpsons used to, but when it does funny, it does funny. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah; olives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    They really do need to stop making The Simpsons. The first nine series were excellent but the new episodes feel diluted. Meanwhile, bring on more Family Guy! It doesn't necessarily have as many gags as The Simpsons used to, but when it does funny, it does funny. cool

I love FAMILY GUY, the latest series. It has greatly matured as a show, along with its humor, the characters and of course the mighty STEWIE.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah; olives.

I prefer South American tongue