• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009 edited
    Yes Im starting a new thread get over it, Jerry would have been 80 today he was taken from us too soon, I miss my idol.

Long Live The King!

a toast to the thread police beer
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    punk

Today will be filled with Goldsmith music!! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not just because of Jerry's music but because I want to, and like with Barry, Williams etc it doesn't take much to influence me into playing some Goldsmith cool

A toast to Jerry Goldsmith, IMO the greatest composer for film ever beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Listening to Eriks show now , then at 4 pm switch to the XM Varese show, WOW I love it!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  1. So sad he died sad But well, it's not as he didn't see it coming (he had cancer after all) and it's not as if he died young! But damn, people like him should a) never retire and b) grow to be one-hundred. shame

I happened to be at his last birthday concert in the Barbican Hall in London. He was already too ill at that time to attend in person (normally he would attend and conduct) but Dirk Brossé stepped in at the last moment and saved the gig. He did a great job. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote
    So sad he died sad But well, it's not as he didn't see it coming (he had cancer after all) and it's not as if he died young! But damn, people like him should a) never retire and b) grow to be one-hundred. shame

I happened to be at his last birthday concert in the Barbican Hall in London. He was already too ill at that time to attend in person (normally he would attend and conduct) but Dirk Brossé stepped in at the last moment and saved the gig. He did a great job. smile

I was there too! I went with my brother and my dad. That was my last chance to see the great man himself, and I missed it. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moonie wrote
    Listening to Eriks show now , then at 4 pm switch to the XM Varese show, WOW I love it!!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote
    So sad he died sad But well, it's not as he didn't see it coming (he had cancer after all) and it's not as if he died young! But damn, people like him should a) never retire and b) grow to be one-hundred. shame

I was there too! I went with my brother and my dad. That was my last chance to see the great man himself, and I missed it. sad

Sad to hear that sad

The last time I saw him was in 2001 on the 28th June....two days before my birthday, what a great early present, at the Royal Albert Hall with a bunch of people ( including our own Jim Ware ) from the Peter K's Movie Music board.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote

I was there too. I think I saw Mikael there, and I was part of a Moviemusic UK gathering.

The 75th birthday concert was still good, but a bittersweet experience for me since I knew he wasn't going to make 76. It was a pleasure to see Jerry conduct concerts on at least 5 or 6 occasions - memories I will always be able to treasure.
  2. Southall wrote
    I was there too. I think I saw Mikael there, and I was part of a Moviemusic UK gathering.

The 75th birthday concert was still good, but a bittersweet experience for me since I knew he wasn't going to make 76. It was a pleasure to see Jerry conduct concerts on at least 5 or 6 occasions - memories I will always be able to treasure.

Wow, what an amazing gift to get to see him in person. I wish I could have.
  3. RIP Jerrald. You live on in your brilliant music. You are one of the greatest composers the world has ever known and you will always remain a favourite of mine.

I will never forget the amazing Goldsmith concert (my first film music concert ever) in 2004 in Ghent. My god has it been that long? I wish I could rewatch that one again and again, it featured truly stellar renditions of all his classic material. Me and my bro had a wonderful time...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    THX Jerry for all the GREAT music you left us to enjoy ...

You'll never be forgotten !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    RIP Jerrald. You live on in your brilliant music. You are one of the greatest composers the world has ever known ....

Well, I wouldn't put it quite as euphorical as that. Goldsmith was great film composer, one of the best that ever came out of Hollywood. But he tends to be slightly overrated in film music circles.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think he's overrated. Then again, I'm a Goldsmith fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

I don't either. How can one of the all time greatest film composers be overrated?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't either. How can one of the all time greatest film composers be overrated?

-Erik-

When people make him out to be an infallible God or entity that is immune to criticism, that's when. More prevalent on the FSM board than here, perhaps, but still. It's actually possible to think he's a great film composer while also acknowledging his faults and misses, and not at least put his presence in context with other great composers of our time and before.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

Me neither but I'd like to know why Thor thinks he's overrated!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

When people make him out to be an infallible God or entity that is immune to criticism, that's when. More prevalent on the FSM board than here, perhaps, but still. It's actually possible to think he's a great film composer while also acknowledging his faults and misses, and not at least put his presence in context with other great composers of our time and before.

You can say the same about all composers and their "hardcore" fans.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

You can say the same about all composers and their "hardcore" fans.

-Erik-

Not necessarily. You can be a hardcore fan with perspective.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I don't think he was an infallible god immune to criticism. And I acknowledge his faults and misses (of which there were a few). But I think when a composer like Goldsmith who produced so many unique and influential scores during his long career, then that's what the fans are going to focus on.

I can understand why many don't really like Goldsmith that much, or at least don't understand the passion Goldsmith fans tend to have. He was an extremely unique composer with an extremely unique sound that will certainly not 'click' for everyone. I can definitely see why people don't like many of his synth effects in his scores! (Even if I love them.)
  4. Thank you Jerry for all your wonderful music. May it inspire every upcoming composer shame

You were the Master punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Not necessarily. You can be a hardcore fan with perspective.

Well, I'm talking about those without perspective. Those who want to start Williams vs. Goldsmith threads all the time. Yeah, those guys! Every composer has a group of those people. However, I wouldn't put all Goldsmith fans in that group.

IMHO, Goldsmith throughout his career earned the right to be classified as one of the all time best and if there are some that want to put him at the top of the list who am I to argue. Just look at his filmography and the pile of great scores the man pumped out over and over and over and over again. He was simply brilliant, inventive and could churn out one great melody after another while at the same time reinventing himself and film music all together.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, I don't necessarily disagree with that, but there are really just a handful of his scores that stand as cornerstones in our popular culture and film history today. Beyond that, he was an excellent "craftsman" who usually delivered what the film - usually mainstream, Hollywood fare of varying quality - demanded, but was fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you see it) to compose the music for many films and franchises that became CULT PHENOMENA.

Of course, if you go to the jwfan.net board (and perhaps any other "fan board"), you'll find a similar "Deification", but there's something about Goldsmith that - if you DARE to utter something critical about any aspects of his output - people take that as personal insults. The tolerance level seems lower somehow. Perhaps this defensiveness happens because the hardcore fans always thought Goldsmith never got his due and respect in the general public, and so they have to OVER-COMPENSATE by heightening him to something he never was. I don't know.

Or perhaps I've been around FSM too long! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

And there is your answer right there!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Which becons a whole other debate...why is it that FSM is so Goldsmith-worshipping? But let's not go there now. At least not in a Goldsmith birthday thread. smile

For the record, I own more than 60 Goldsmith CD's, which is more than any other in my collection, except for Williams and Elfman. I am a fan!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Usually when someone replies "blasphemy" or some such as I have here to some slight against Goldsmith it's mostly with tongue firmly in cheek, at FSM it can cause WWIII wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    but was fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you see it) to compose the music for many films and franchises that became CULT PHENOMENA.

I think that's totally false. For me, the most impressive think about Goldsmith is that he achieved what he did WITHOUT the benefit of having met a Spielberg or Leone, or having a Bond-type franchise. I know he did Star Trek in his later years, but apart from the first one they all came towards the end of his career. Achieving the kind of success he did without having been as "lucky" (I use inverted commas because they are all so brilliant) as Williams was to meet Spielberg, or Barry was to get James Bond, or Morricone was to meet Leone, or Bernstein was to do all the John Wayne films, etc... well, I think it's pretty remarkable to be honest.

I do know what you mean about Goldsmith fans... and I'm one myself. It's easy to get defensive when somebody criticises something or someone you love, even if deep down you understand that there's certainly an element of truth in the criticism.

But I think there's a pretty simple explanation for why so many forums are dominated by Goldsmith fans. He was the best.
  5. How about a Tyler Bates vs Reinhold Heil & Johnny Klimek thread! beer haha
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote
    How about a Tyler Bates vs Reinhold Heil & Johnny Klimek thread! beer haha

Good Lord. What a thought!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think that's totally false. For me, the most impressive think about Goldsmith is that he achieved what he did WITHOUT the benefit of having met a Spielberg or Leone, or having a Bond-type franchise. I know he did Star Trek in his later years, but apart from the first one they all came towards the end of his career. Achieving the kind of success he did without having been as "lucky" (I use inverted commas because they are all so brilliant) as Williams was to meet Spielberg, or Barry was to get James Bond, or Morricone was to meet Leone, or Bernstein was to do all the John Wayne films, etc... well, I think it's pretty remarkable to be honest.

Well, he DID have his regular collaborators, albeit on a smaller, less influential level (Schaffner, Dante etc.). However, I don't think there's a qualitative judgement to be found in who he worked or didn't work with. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. And Goldsmith managed to put his mark in film history with a select few classics and being part of the experimentation that took place in film music during the 60's, in particular. He has a completely original musical voice, but in the end, the majority of his output is very "craftsman-like". That may sound like a putdown, but it really isn't. He was the excellent craftsman who knew every single nook and cranny of classical narrative Hollywood storytelling. And the few times that the film allowed room for something MORE than that; when it strived for something ARTISTICALLY higher, well then he delivered that too (PLANET, ALIEN, OMEN, PATTON, arguably STAR TREK). But he was never the infallible auteur who saved film music.

I do know what you mean about Goldsmith fans... and I'm one myself. It's easy to get defensive when somebody criticises something or someone you love, even if deep down you understand that there's certainly an element of truth in the criticism.

That depends on how the critic expresses himself. I would welcome criticism of any my own favourites with open arms, as long as it was said rationally, to-the-point and with a constructive debate in mind (and acknowledging the subjectivity of the evaluation in the first place).

But I think there's a pretty simple explanation for why so many forums are dominated by Goldsmith fans. He was the best.

Says you. smile Personally, I've never really understood the desire to look upon film music as a sporting event.
    I am extremely serious.