• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I entirely agree that JERUSALEM should the the British anthem. Much more stirring than the dirge we share with Liechtenstein.

WORD! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't think it will change in my lifetime Martijn, perhaps you. There are certain things that would be difficult and this is one of them.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    VIVA ESPAÑAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I doubt England will change
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009 edited
    You'd be surprised: its current anthem is losing its status rapidly (it never having been declared THE national anthem by law or Royal proclamation. It rather having grown into its status through custom).

"God Save the Queen" is the national anthem of the United Kingdom. Like many aspects of British constitutional life, its official status derives from custom and use, not from Royal Proclamation or Act of Parliament. In general only one or two verses are sung, but on rare occasions three. The variation in the United Kingdom of the lyrics to "God Save the Queen" is the oldest amongst those currently used, and forms the basis on which all other versions used throughout the Commonwealth are formed; though, again, the words have varied throughout the years.

When only England, rather than all four nations of the United Kingdom, is represented (usually at a team sporting event) "God Save the Queen" is still treated as the English national anthem, though there are exceptions to this rule. There is a movement to establish a distinctively English national anthem, with Blake's "Jerusalem" and Elgar's "Land of Hope and Glory" among the top contenders. Scotland and Wales have their own anthems for political and national events and for use at international Rugby, Football and other sports in which those nations compete independently. On all occasions Wales' national anthem is "Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" (Land of my Fathers) whilst Scotland's anthem changes according to circumstance, "Flower of Scotland" being used the majority of the time, whilst "Scotland the Brave" is occasionally substituted. In Northern Ireland, "God Save the Queen" is still used as the official anthem.

Since 2003, God Save the Queen, considered an all inclusive Anthem for Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as well as other countries within the Commonwealth, has been dropped from the Commonwealth Games. Northern Irish athletes receive their gold medals to the tune of the "Londonderry Air", popularly known as "Danny Boy", whilst English winners hear Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March Number 1, usually known as Land of Hope and Glory. In sports in which England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland compete as one nation, most notably in the Olympic Games "God Save the Queen" is used to represent anyone or any team that comes from the United Kingdom.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Impressive. Can someone give more info on the said piece / composer? I am unfamiliar with it (Hubert Parry's - Jerusalem).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    REALLY? shocked

It's as famous as the other "national anthems" of the UK.
    I think its prevalence as an alternate to God Save The Queen came when George V, upon hearing a full orchestral version by Sir Elgar, commented that he really prefered this one!

It's famously used in the film Chariots Of Fire.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The lyrics, incidentally, are based on the William "Tiger, tiger burning bright" Blake poem And Did Those Feet.
    I think the words are pretty much copied verbatim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've always thought that "Jerusalem" has a kinda Christmassy feel.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    Me too Thor
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Fantastic!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven

Dammit, you're right.

*Wipes away patriotic tear*

*Also waits for Martijn to make an anti-British comment*
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Dammit, you're right.

An instant replay of that will blow away any piffling comment he could make.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Our national anthem. Beautiful piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5zJ_ymYEk

---
    Miya aka Pridelander

tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. Kimigayo is indeed wonderful.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Dammit, you're right.

Me?
    Anti-British? shocked

Whatever gave you THAT idea, dear boy? confused

Incidentally, I would propose this little ditty for a new UK anthem. It certainly speaks to me of a gentler, grander age without the stench of appeasement in the air.

Miya wrote

I'm not sure the Emperor would approve, Miya (though I guess it would make a spectacular image on CNN having a monkey lift Tennō Heika up on a rock to have some animals cheer him...) wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Miya wrote

I'm not sure the Emperor would approve, Miya (though I guess it would make a spectacular image on CNN having a monkey lift Tennō Heika up on a rock to have some animals cheer him...) wink

*spews Japanese tea on keyboard* LOL!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Okey, seriously, this is the real national anthem of Japan, Kimi ga yo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L4C4b0RitY

The lyrics was originally taken from a poem written by an anonymous person more than 1000 years ago (actually I didn't know that until I read about it today!) shocked

This song always stirs up controversy... nationalism, militarism, imperialism, democracy, and, freedom of speech (or rather, freedom of sing).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimi_ga_Yo
    (hope this page is written in a neutral position)

Even though things like nationalism and militarism usually give me the creeps, I think this song itself is simply beautiful, and it's amazing that the lyrics has such a long history. But I also think we have to think about people (in China, Korea, etc) who had been forced to sing it by Japanese imperial army during WWII.

And I truly despise those who still force reluctant people to sing it.

This is just my opinion. The national anthem/flag issue is still a delicate subject in my country...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    This is the national anthem of Hungary: the text is a poem by one of our very famous poets and the music was written for it in the 19th century:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dU_q6lmGM
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    It's interesting that you should mention the flag issue, Miya. I was having a conversation with my wife about this recently.

In the United States, love for the 'Stars 'n' Stripes' is almost all encompassing; there's a special set of rules for how you handle, fold, and dispose of ANY flag, and you see it flown absolutely EVERYWHERE.

Now, the English flag (NOT the British flag) is the Cross of St. George - a red cross on a white background - and in the last 25 years or so it has become more than a little controversial to fly it because of it's connotations with far-right racist political parties, with whom it became associated in the 1980s following the Falklands War. The only time it is acceptable - even encouraged - to fly the English flag is in relation to sporting events - the England football team, English Rugby etc etc. Any time you see it elsewhere, there is a little bit of a subconcious urge to wonder at the motives of the people flying the flag.

Personally, as a bit of an amateur vexillologist, I think it's sad that a national symbol can become corrupted in this way, especially when it happens without people really realizing it, and it ends up ingrained in the national psyche.

Do people from other countries have any experiences like this with their national flags?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    It's interesting that you should mention the flag issue, Miya. I was having a conversation with my wife about this recently.

In the United States, love for the 'Stars 'n' Stripes' is almost all encompassing; there's a special set of rules for how you handle, fold, and dispose of ANY flag, and you see it flown absolutely EVERYWHERE.

Now, the English flag (NOT the British flag) is the Cross of St. George - a red cross on a white background - and in the last 25 years or so it has become more than a little controversial to fly it because of it's connotations with far-right racist political parties, with whom it became associated in the 1980s following the Falklands War. The only time it is acceptable - even encouraged - to fly the English flag is in relation to sporting events - the England football team, English Rugby etc etc. Any time you see it elsewhere, there is a little bit of a subconcious urge to wonder at the motives of the people flying the flag.

Personally, as a bit of an amateur vexillologist, I think it's sad that a national symbol can become corrupted in this way, especially when it happens without people really realizing it, and it ends up ingrained in the national psyche.

Do people from other countries have any experiences like this with their national flags?

An interesting point I'd like to hear more of too?

Regarding the cross of St. George it has to be said that the likes of sporting events, Brit Pop etc has gone a long looooonnnnnng way in reclaiming it from odious far right extremists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Especially in countries without much historic coherency (like The Netherlands) or coming to terms with a changing global set of values and influx of other cultures (Scandinavia, the UK), or a tainted recent past (Germany, Italy) ANY type of nationalism has been quite actively discouraged during the "politically diverse and sensitive" late seventies and eighties. The very idea of being proud of one's country would lead to endless debates on slavery,misdeeds ranging back to before the Crusades and of course the allpowerful nomer of "fascism".

Nationalism, in its purest and least offensive form of singing the national anthem or waving a flag, was regarded at best as hopelessly old-fashioned or dangerously extremist. For better or worse it's just a sign of the times.
    The only (European) country having been saved from that social farce was the country were national pride is pretty much part of the school curriculum and mandated by law: France.

While the dynamics leading up to this non-nationalist sentiment (obviously) make me retch, I'm not sure if at the end of the day it's a bad thing.
    In this rapidly changing political and social climate, a European -if not global- mindset seems far more relevant than -say- a Dutch or a Liechtensteinian one. Europe STILL very much is a work in progress, lead by a couple of powerful national interests, but it is the way of the future (though we will not live to see it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    Instrumental version of our national anthem -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MhYP8nmxx4

JAI HIND!