• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009 edited
    Inspired by moonie's thread about "Star-Spangled Banner", I thought we'd do a thread on national anthems (I felt it was kinda rude to post my own anthem in a thread about another country's). It's silly to ask for favourites, perhaps, since your own country's national anthem will most likely win in most cases, but it's also a question of HOW it is performed.

After having read moonie's post, I went over to youtube to search for Norway's national anthem, and found this version, which almost choked me up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUtiIMZIVOU

There's something about those harmonies, and the simplicity of just the a cappella, choral version that is immensely powerful, whatever the images are (in this case they happened to be pretty powerful and nationalistic, too, but that's another story...it's the annual New Year's TV montage thingie).

Is it at all possible to judge national anthems according to their musical value alone?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009
    no
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    no

OK!

I guess that's settled, then! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Seriously, it is really special to each person who lives in that particular country. Canada is special to Erik etc. This country, especially this debaucle called Super Bowl, the ultimate advertising medium, has taken the Star Spangled Banner to heights I'd never imagine.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Is it at all possible to judge national anthems according to their musical value alone?

Why not?
    EVEN when your own anthem would mean something to you in the sense of national pride or emotional attachment, you could rate every other anthem in the world on the same scale, as they're basically only pices of music if they have no additional value to you.

I always find it interesting to listen to other anthems, and gauge the emotional content. So many little African dictatorships opening up with dime-a-dozen marches. The absolutely martial tones of France. The very odd and almost unsingable American anthem. Makes for an intereseting foray into a nation's "hive mind" (so to speak).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Go talk to Koko. He needs it more.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    I think all anthems strike a note with their country members
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote

Ours isn't very popular with Britons. I quite like it but would rather have something more stirring. Timmer mentioned Jerusalem in the other thread about this, and indeed that would be wonderful.

And did those feet...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009 edited
    Our previous prime minister hummed the anthem of France when he was asked to hum our anthem (Belgium, not Flanders). I think that says enough (I don't know it very well either, perhaps the first three sentences?)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote

Ours isn't very popular with Britons. I quite like it but would rather have something more stirring. Timmer mentioned Jerusalem in the other thread about this, and indeed that would be wonderful.

Bah!
    Land Of Hope And Glory all the way!
    Jerusalem hasn't been part of the Empire since 1946.

Bregt wrote
    Our previous prime minister hummed the anthem of France when he was asked to hum our anthem (Belgium, not Flanders).

Can't honestly say I blame him.
    The Marseillaise is about 1138% more stirring than the Brabançonne.

(Quite a bit more bloodthirsty too...)

That said, I would champion its change to Delerue's Hymne Á La Liberté in a heartbeat.
    In fact, I would champion that as anthem for the world .
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote

Bah!
    Land Of Hope And Glory all the way!
    Jerusalem hasn't been part of the Empire since 1946.

Britain hasn't exactly been a land of hope and glory of late, either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wait 'till you hear the Greek power anthem wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Elgar's Pomp And Circumstances March No.4 is Britain's real national anthem anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No. 4?
    Why no. 4? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I always remember that one from my childhood more than the others. More a personal national anthem. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Greek (and Cyprus') national anthem, choral version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwbnx-8alfI

orchestral version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSMFojTA2h8

choir and orchestra:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDTVFbTH … re=related
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    God, it doesn't sound half like a Russian-Orthodox hymn. shocked

I'm in a mood to put on Hunt For Red October now. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, Poledouris has Greek roots, didn't he? wink His greek name was Βασίλης Πολεδούρης.

It's an ode to Freedom btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is very likely that none of the anthems will ever be changed in our lifetime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    It is very likely that none of the anthems will ever be changed in our lifetime.

We've seen the USSR one change as well the German one.

Belgium may soon follow. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Can you see America changing?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Elgar's Pomp And Circumstances March No.4 is Britain's real national anthem anyway.

It would without doubt blow ALL other National Anthems away....absolutely no doubt about it!!

I remember hearing that Elgar stipulated that it should NEVER be the National Anthem? Anyone know more info on that???

I would still personally prefer JERUSALEM though, and still one of THE most beautiful melodies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Can you see America changing?

Oh yes!
    Even as we speak, the majority of Americans (including members of congress) are convinced that "God Bless America" is the official AMerican anthem, and I can see it becoming so within our lifetime (if only because it's actually easier to sing than The Star Spangled Banner ... I happen to think it's a horrid and insepid anthem myself, but that's a matter of taste. I'd vote for Newman's How The West Was Won, but hey, that's just me. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I remember hearing that Elgar stipulated that it should NEVER be the National Anthem? Anyone know more info on that???

I think that was Land Of Hope And Glory (March no. 1)?
    Can't find any corroboration though.
  1. Yes, it indeed was March 1
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I think that was Land Of Hope And Glory (March no. 1)?
    Can't find any corroboration though.

It is!

Did Steven mean this one? #4 is very good too.

I'm starting to doubt my Elgar statement, I can't find anything on the web so far that backs me up!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    India's national anthem "Jana Gana Mana" got a lavish treatment for the 50th anniversary of independence-

Instrumental version-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufHI2W9KTPA

The vocal version-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3TtgYuaVFk

There's a cd release of various Indian classical (vocal and instrumental) music legends performing the anthem-
    http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/p … lbum.1052/
  2. I entirely agree that JERUSALEM should the the British anthem. Much more stirring than the dirge we share with Liechtenstein.