• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    My vote goes to the Cimbalom (the piano thing that sounds like a guitar...yeah, you know what I mean). wink

There's certainly some interesting Asian instruments I've heard though, but I've no idea what they are!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What exactly do you mean by a non-traditional instrument?
    Non-traditional for what? Occidental soundtracks?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Kazoos! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I've been listening to Lord of War again today, and I love the sound of the rabeca! (a turkish kind of violin).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    Kazoos! punk

Seconded!
    bounce
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The theremin
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    sdtom wrote
    The theremin

Yes, I was thinking that too!
    Very special sounds.

I also love the sound of the erhu.
    And I loved the Gamelan Orchestra from Danna's Ice Strom.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    He means as in non-standard instruments of the western symphony orchestra.

My vote goes to the Armenian DUDUK, easily the most beautiful, touchingly ethereal instrument in the whole world and very close to the human voice as well; despite the fact that it's been horribly overused in the world of film music since and after Gladiator.

Second vote goes to the ERHU
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    He means as in non-standard instruments of the western symphony orchestra.

Ah, OK.
    In that case I'd like to nominate the recorder.
    the only film composer to make proper use of that instrument is Morricone...and doesn't he do it well!

My vote goes to the Armenian DUDUK,

Now there's a shocker, Duduk Dude! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Some of my fav non-standard instruments or percussion choices are the blast beam from Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Broughton's brilliant tapping bows on instrument cases for Young Sherlock Holmes. Inventive indeed!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Actually, the classical recorder is considered a part of the western symphony orchestra from what i know, despite the fact that is not frequently used, it still is a "formal" western instrument. The most amazing use imo was with JNH's the village.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I like some instrument heard in " to Know My enemy" track. But I don't know the name.And Every instrument from Elioth Goldenthal.

Duduk became a little bit too familiar now, What about " ukelele" ? specially in the island and in Da Vinci Code.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And Giacchino's metallic percussion tricks with the HOLLYWOOD STUDIO SYMPHONY, especially for LOST with the metallic banging stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    I like some instrument heard in " to Know My enemy" track. But I don't know the name.

Do you know at which point exactly?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    My vote goes to the Cimbalom (the piano thing that sounds like a guitar...yeah, you know what I mean). wink

There's certainly some interesting Asian instruments I've heard though, but I've no idea what they are!

I like the Cymbalom, used to greatest effect in John Barry's The Ipcress File.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

I like the Cymbalom, used to greatest effect in John Barry's The Ipcress File.

Yeah, the Cimbalom/Cymbalom is wicked. I've noticed it appear in nearly every Powell score at one point or another. Yesterday I found it in "The Bourne Supremacy". dizzy
  1. Jordi, I think that in 90% you think of the shakuhachi. Is it present in the action stuff?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool
    Bregt wrote
    sdtom wrote
    The theremin

Yes, I was thinking that too!
    Very special sounds.

I also love the sound of the erhu.
    And I loved the Gamelan Orchestra from Danna's Ice Strom.

Gamelan has such incredible resonance, there's nothing quite like it. Basil Poledouris uses it well in his fabulous Farewell To The King
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    This kind of trumpets, Buggle or Horns from PLanet of the apes.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    - erhu
    - duduk
    - dizi flute
    - glass harmonica (Wiseman did a great job incorporating it into Arsene Lupin)
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Please..Anyone Knows scores with Music Box and Organ?

And What about music box?? It's easy to play? Or it's always edited?
  2. TYPEWRITER?

biggrin

Also Viole D'Amore.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Did someone already mention the cell phone. Reference John Ottman's score to CELLULAR.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Did someone already mention the cell phone. Reference John Ottman's score to CELLULAR.

-Erik-

No....But it's used as an instrument or as a sound effect?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's used in the main theme.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

This is not an answer, but you probably know it. I guess the question about Instrument or Sound Effect it's a thin line (but not red) tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

This is not an answer, but you probably know it. I guess the question about Instrument or Sound Effect it's a thin line (but not red) tongue

http://www.lalalandbb.com/MP3/Cellular_01_Opening.mp3

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How about a SAW....the kind that cuts through wood!

As used in Jack Nitzche's One Flew Over THe Cuckoo's Nest cool

Not a fave score to listen to but it sure was inspired cool
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    The Berimbau -a single-string percussion instrument from Brazil.
    It was used in Carter Burwell's Mystery Alaska (if that's what it is.)

Percussionist Nana Vasconcelos who played with the Pat Metheny Group, used to play it quite often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    After fininishing listening to Intrada's Alien and reading the liner notes, I can't help but marvel at all the non-traditional instruments ( or traditional instruments used in non-traditional ways ) JG pulled out in this score.

Example: "the didjeridu"---an Australian aboriginal instrument made of wood hollowed out by fire and termites...