• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009
    I am currently running WINDOWS SEVEN (the latest beta) and it's SCREAMINGLY FAST! It took me just half the hour needed with xp sp3 or vista ultimate 32bits to format my pc, install the os and all my software back! I am impressed as everything works significantly faster in here!

My setup:

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 3.2 Ghz (overclocked)
    4gb ram
    2xnvidia geforce 8800 gt sLi
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A quad 3.2?? Fuck me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I'm still running XP with SP3 and it still works like a charm ...
    I never felt any need to update to Vista ... in fact I stayed well away from it . wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    A quad 3.2?? Fuck me.

For audio/video editing, that's pretty much required, if you want to retain anything like a proper working speed and environment.

Are you benchmarking against Vista or against XP, D.?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    A quad 3.2?? Fuck me.

For audio/video editing, that's pretty much required, if you want to retain anything like a proper working speed and environment.

This is true. I was using Cubase on my laptop the other day without VST instrument freeze (i.e. all effects applied to the tracks were being processed in real time). I could have made some perfectly fine scrambled egg on it at that point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Eric wrote
    I never felt any need to update to Vista ... in fact I stayed well away from it . wink

VISTA isn't worth it, but the reviews for this new system, WINDOWS 7 are surprisingly generally glorifying and although it's early, it seems they're right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    A quad 3.2?? Fuck me.

I'm sure Justin could confirm this.

Good to hear the update, D. Might try it myself (after all, a top-tier system is clearly required for all the highly-complex tasks I undertake, such as sending emails and browsing this forum).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Eric wrote

VISTA isn't worth it, but the reviews for this new system, WINDOWS 7 are surprisingly generally glorifying and although it's early, it seems they're right!

I MUCH prefer Vista. As long as you've got a good enough system, I can't imagine not using it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, you prefer it over what?

This new system, through the reviews - and the current things i am seeing in front of me, seems to have FINALLY patched the holes of a rushed system like VISTA which didn't take full advantage of the current new hardware OR the latest directx10 and 11 in 7 which make all the difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    btw, here's the just released SP2 for Vista

WINDOWS VISTA SERVICE PACK 2 (64 and 32 BIT VERSIONS)

INFO AND DOWNLOAD LINK:l

http://www.ngohq.com/news/15507-windows … -2-rc.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Are you benchmarking against Vista or against XP, D.?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What do you mean exactly? I had VISTA ULTIMATE 32BITS for 2 years now.

XP is crap for me 'cause it won't recognize my 4gbs of ram, nor will it work with directx10 (goes up to 9), 11 which are CRUCIAL to every video / sound editing procedures and of course, the sim.

VISTA recognizes it all, the 4gb ram but won't take full advantage of my intel core 2 quad processor nor the 2 video cards, nor the directx10 which DOES supports but don't fully utilizes.

7 seems to fix all that with the much, much faster directx11
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You said it was faster.
    I was just wondering what it was faster than.

I have no experience with Vista. As stated before in another thread, I tend to always skip one OS version. XP to Vista yielded no benefits while greatly increasing hardware requirements and compromising user autonomy.

That Windows 7 seems faster seems a good step forwards, but if it's just faster than Vista it doesn't really mean much, especially on an already insanely specced machine like yours. At this point it seems like a good step for an audio or video professionals or people who are seriously moving into high-end home entertainment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

This new system, through the reviews - and the current things i am seeing in front of me, seems to have FINALLY patched the holes of a rushed system like VISTA which didn't take full advantage of the current new hardware OR the latest directx10 and 11 in 7 which make all the difference.

I was just comparing with XP. It's frustrating that Vista can't take full advantage of my PC's power, and that's my biggest problem with it. It's still better than what went before, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, what kind of PC do you have James?

Martijn, the choice of O.S. comes down to 2 things:

1) what kind of pc one has
    2) what do you want to USE it for.

If you have under 3 gb of ram and a graphics card that doesn't support directx10 (i.e. a graphic card bought pre-2006 or so) and you use your pc for OFFICE-like applications, movie viewing, browsing the net and listening to music, then you DON'T NEED ANYTHING ELSE THAN XP SP3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

It's a Core 2 quad 3.0, if I remember right (would need to check at home) with 4Gb RAM.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The biggest pro for someone who IS not into gaming or video / audio editing and stuff, as to change to a newer OS other than the XP SP3 is features. There's a ton of them which i can't really write down here, but which are even more in the new O.S, Windows 7, which ultimately make life easier; the most important being the fact that you don't need to keep tons of cd's and dvd's with device drivers anymore, as long as you're connected to the net (who isn't these days?), vista and 7 find the latest drivers for all your pc's devices and peripherals and installs it automatically without even asking you which is pretty, pretty neat. You just pop the dvd in, format, and let the rest to the o.s.

But other than that, if you're not into this category of users and / or your pc isn't that much up to date, there's no need to upgrade from XP SP3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I was just comparing with XP. It's frustrating that Vista can't take full advantage of my PC's power, and that's my biggest problem with it. It's still better than what went before, though.

It certainly can...if you use the 64-bit version.
    Why anyone but a film editor would want to is another story. wink

Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn, the choice of O.S. comes down to 2 things:

1) what kind of pc one has
    2) what do you want to USE it for.

If you have under 3 gb of ram and a graphics card that doesn't support directx10 (i.e. a graphic card bought pre-2006 or so) and you use your pc for OFFICE-like applications, movie viewing, browsing the net and listening to music, then you DON'T NEED ANYTHING ELSE THAN XP SP3.

I can even do a nice spot of realtime audio editing, and (home quality) movie editing without much of a lag. smile

Most people tend to insanely overspec their machines for absolutely no benefit whatsoever.
    It's mainly gamers and multimedia engineers who benefit.

Interestingly most PCs you buy from in-stock companies already are powerful enough to regulate the ICT needs of the entire Third World without so much as a hiccup.
    It's an odd business.
    It's not unlike buying a car that can go 300 km/h.
    What's the point if you can never ever use it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's a Core 2 quad 3.0, if I remember right (would need to check at home) with 4Gb RAM.

Believe me, if you perform a new install (as in format, not upgrade) and maintain a good level of pc performance via registry cleaning and disk defragment which are absolutely ESSENTIAL to any pc, any O.S., you'll be impressed with that the new 7 can do with your specs. I didn't believe it at first and i am usually anti-ms, but this version i am running here - despite the fact that it's a beta, it really shows they've done their homework.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, i can't work with 64bit O.S 'cause of comp ability issues. Despite the fact that until now (i don't know if the new 7 platform will fix this, it'll probably will, but still vista hasn't) even the drivers for certain peripherals that DO exist aren't stable enough in comparison with the 32bit counterparts, still i have hardware (like my M-AUDIO profire 2626 console) and software (like the DIGIDESIGN PRO-TOOLS 8 which i bought and work onto) that won't work under 64bit environments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    The biggest pro for someone who IS not into gaming or video / audio editing and stuff, as to change to a newer OS other than the XP SP3 is features. There's a ton of them which i can't really write down here, but which are even more in the new O.S, Windows 7, which ultimately make life easier; the most important being the fact that you don't need to keep tons of cd's and dvd's with device drivers anymore, as long as you're connected to the net (who isn't these days?), vista and 7 find the latest drivers for all your pc's devices and peripherals and installs it automatically without even asking you which is pretty, pretty neat. You just pop the dvd in, format, and let the rest to the o.s.

See, that's EXACTLY the kind of semi-useful crap that will trip you up every single time.
    Drivers and updates installed without even WARNING?
    That shit caused a near stand-still on the home PC front when XP SP2 was released (and pretty much destroyed every machine it touched). The same thing happened with the third security update from Vista, which kicked people off the web (and guess how hard it is getting another driver automatically installed if you're not online?)

UGH!

That's the FIRST feature that will be turned off, should I upgrade (which is unlikely I will do unless my PC dies or XP reaches its supportability end of life ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn, i can't work with 64bit O.S 'cause of comp ability issues. Despite the fact that until now (i don't know if the new 7 platform will fix this, it'll probably will, but still vista hasn't) even the drivers for certain peripherals that DO exist aren't stable enough in comparison with the 32bit counterparts, still i have hardware (like my M-AUDIO profire 2626 console) and software (like the DIGIDESIGN PRO-TOOLS 8 which i bought and work onto) that won't work under 64bit environments.

Ouch!
    That's nasty!

So Windows 7 supports >4GB in 32bits modus?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Well you can always change the drivers afterwards, piece of cake. And you can very easily NOT be on the net whilst installing it for the first time so it won't find the drivers. But believe me, i have tons of professional video / audio peripherals around here and i never had problem with the drivers vista loads...it just make my life easier 'cause as a gamer and editor, i continuously tweak my pc and need fast times and convenience.

THere's always the other way around if you don't like the default strategies anyway but not having to install all the drivers for all the goddamn things on my pc every single time, is GOD-esque.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Ouch!
    That's nasty!

So Windows 7 supports >4GB in 32bits modus?

It supports everything, up t o 8gb (2+2+2+2 for sure, maybe 4+4 but i haven't looked it up yet)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    The general question I have is how can I put up an audio clip on this site?????????????????
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    You can't, unless someone is first hosting it for you.

You could ask Bregt if he has space on the site's server, otherwise you'll have to find yourself your own hosting platform.

That could either be a dedicated server (maybe your own ISP provides some hosted space as part of your subscription? Mine does! ), or indirectly by uploading it to a file hosting site (like www.rapidshare.com, www.megaupload.com or www.sendspace.com or on of the many, many other ones) for people to download it from there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I go to this rapidshare and download the clip I've made?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Basically (though the proper term for making the clip available is UPloading it).

It's pretty selfexplanatory (just follow the directions on the screen), but what you do is upload the clip there (this may take a while, depending on its size). When it's finished uploading, the site returns an URL (web address), which you can then make available to anyone you would wish to get ("download") the piece you have uploaded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    So if I want to put up a small audio clip for everyone to guess from what movie I can do it. With the program audition I can make it pretty small. What MP3 size should I use?
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    Just as long as it's recognisable, you should be OK.
    Don't go under 128 kbps, I would recommend.

EDIT: Give any of these file hosting web sites a shot.
    If it doesn't work out for you, give me a holler and I'll host it for you.