• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    I am at a roadblock now and will take a rest from the computer
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I tried to use ROXIO and other alternatives. Nothing's better than nero.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I use Nero to burn data discs, and use Winamp or JetAudio for burning audio CDs as they seem to do it a bit faster without using too much virtual memory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Nero is a good program for me also
  1. I have a question about browsers.

Why does Amazon.co.uk site assume that I'm not from the UK (and therefore can't access buying mp3s) when browsing with Crhome whereas using Opera I am seen as being in the UK?

I've cleared "browsing data" in Chrome.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have a question about browsers.

Why does Amazon.co.uk site assume that I'm not from the UK (and therefore can't access buying mp3s) when browsing with Crhome whereas using Opera I am seen as being in the UK?

I've cleared "browsing data" in Chrome.

Don't you just love them???
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    You might have to change the languages your browser reports to the website. These can be used to redirect you to pages in your own language. It's like - when you send out a request for a webpage - your browser sends along "oh, by the way, I understand this this and that language, so please think of my user".

In Chrome, these settings can be found under options -> under the hood -> [change font and language settings] -> languages. The order of languages is important, meaning that the websites will offer you pages from top to bottom. Most likely, your browser has English US (en-US) at the top. You should change it to en-UK.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  2. Thanks Maxime for the help. But I think that it's more sinister than that. I think that Google may be redirecting me to one of their own servers, monitoring my useage, before redirecting me back to where I want to go.

I'm sure that I set my preferences not to provide information to them when I browse. I'll recheck those settings and make sure they are still set the way I want them. Then, if it still happens it's "goodbye Chrome".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Well, there's also the option to define your default search engine in Chrome, being either Google US or UK, or one of the hundreds of others. But I would find it very very unlikely that this is reported to a website. So, if you visit amazon.co.uk, you're definitely not on the .com version. Perhaps a proxy server is enabled, but definitely not one of your ISP, as that would be inside the UK again...

Have you tried visiting the site using a chrome 'incognito' window? (top right wrench -> new incognito window)
    Of course, this mode doesn't allow you to save cookies of any kind, so I doubt you'll be able to buy things with it.

Really, what you're telling is very bizarre. The most likely cause is that Amazon just isn't yet equipped to offer mp3 downloads to Chrome users.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  3. The issue with Amazon.co.uk and Google Chrome has now appeared in Opera.

It's weird because when I go to the "front page" of the Amazon mp3 section I get the "Amazon.co.uk is for UK users only - go to *.com or *.de, etc") message embedded in this front page. But when I actually go and view a mp3 album I have the option to buy tracks/album (though I haven't bought anything yet to see if I can actually buy the tracks.) So, it seems that when I first go to Amazon it thinks I'm not in the UK but afterwards it does!

So, I don't think that it's just a Chrome-only problem. Maybe some of my settings are now different on my PC (but I can't see anything obvious that has changed), maybe there's something funny going on with ISP (they've been having some problems recently (especially with web-based e-mail)...or some sort of hijack?

I did a complete scan of my PC with Avira AntiVir but that showed up nothing. I'll give a scan with Spybot later - but I'm pretty sure it's not some sort of spyware/malware.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    Rian wrote
    Well, there's also the option to define your default search engine in Chrome, being either Google US or UK, or one of the hundreds of others. But I would find it very very unlikely that this is reported to a website. So, if you visit amazon.co.uk, you're definitely not on the .com version. Perhaps a proxy server is enabled, but definitely not one of your ISP, as that would be inside the UK again...

Have you tried visiting the site using a chrome 'incognito' window? (top right wrench -> new incognito window)
    Of course, this mode doesn't allow you to save cookies of any kind, so I doubt you'll be able to buy things with it.

Really, what you're telling is very bizarre. The most likely cause is that Amazon just isn't yet equipped to offer mp3 downloads to Chrome users.

Google, if your involved with computers, has taken over IMHO. And it goes across the board to Apple and Linux. They are a powerful force and care should be exercised when dealing with them. This is not a conspiracy theory just my opinion.
    Thomas
  4. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of my Amazon issues.

I'm now wondering what you IP address tells you about your PC and it's location. I've checked my IP address location and it's showing up as somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales. Should my IP address show my actual geographical address or is the Yorkshire location related to something within my ISP's organisation?
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm still trying to get to the bottom of my Amazon issues.

I'm now wondering what you IP address tells you about your PC and it's location. I've checked my IP address location and it's showing up as somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales. Should my IP address show my actual geographical address or is the Yorkshire location related to something within my ISP's organisation?

I've been reading around and I think that the answer is "no".
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Depending on the ISP, your IP address can tell something about the location. If your ISP doesn't mask the IPs then you'll be able to traceroute the IP to a location (city). Previously you could also narrow down to a range of latitude/longitude. But many ISPs mask (or whatever the technical term is) the IP so you might only be able to trace only to the provider and not beyond that. And if they use proxy servers then it might show some other location.
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    The issue with Amazon.co.uk and Google Chrome has now appeared in Opera.

Now Opera seems not to be a problem on Amazon - though still Chrome is.

Then I realised that I'm listening to BBC iPlayer at the moment - which I wouldn't be able to do if I was perceived as being non-UK based. This is the case both in Opera and Chrome!!

I've contacted Amazon and they want information on my ISP and IP address as this may have been designated as non-UK based.

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I've contacted Amazon and they want information on my ISP and IP address as this may have been designated as non-UK based.

dizzy

Crazy problems but it looks like it will turn out fine now that Amazon will look into it.
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    So, Alan, amazon.com wants your ip and all eh? Remember that time you talked about some exclusive amazon mp3 release but a day or two before its official release date? Yeah, i am sure it has nothing to do with it. biggrin
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    So, Alan, amazon.com wants your ip and all eh? Remember that time you talked about some exclusive amazon mp3 release but a day or two before its official release date? Yeah, i am sure it has nothing to do with it. biggrin

I'm not sure what you mean. Honest!

Amazon were not really that helpful. Just a standard e-mail response, the wording of which made it clear that they hadn't really read my e-mail properly.

I'm pretty sure that it's an Amazon problem and other sites see me as being UK-based (e.g., BBC iPlayer). And I don't have the problem in Opera.

Anyway, I'm done worrying about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009
    I am kidding you wink
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    I am kidding you wink

My response was obviously from someone with a guilty conscience!
  9. About Windows 7: how is it possible that the dreaded 'Black Screen of Death' appears smack in the middle of installation? No response whatsoever after the files have installed and updated. Simple: from what I read on the web it's monitor or graphics card related. The OS has incorrect default drivers for certain hardware. What's up with M$? They should check this before putting it out no? I shouldn't have bothered in the first place, seeing my WinXP is still good to go. I'll get Windows 7 on my next PC purchase but right now I can do without it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. Apparently, the "BSoD" hasn't been restricted to Windows 7. It's something that's been around in previous versions of Windows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009
    I don't know, i have zero problems with windows 7 and i have installed it on 3 different pc's, one asus eeepc netbook, one hp laptop and my 4x3ghz quad cpu 4gb ram desktop pc.
  11. This isn't to do with operating systems but it is "computer stuff".

I'm having trouble with my DVD-ROM (Liteon LTD163D). I've not used it for a while and when I was trying to install a program from a DVD-ROM it would not load. Nor does it play any movies. My question is: do I need a new DVD drive?

In Windows Explorer there is a drive designated for the DVD-ROM so I think that the computer is recognising that the drive is there. I've looked in device manager and there seems to be no problem with the driver (no exclamation mark by the driver for the DVD-ROM). I've uninstalled the driver and then did a search for changes to devices - which re-installed the driver. Then I uninstalled the driver and just rebooted. The driver re-installed okay with no apparent problems.

But neither the program disc nor a DVD movie would play - no recognition in Windows Explorer and there would be a whirring noise (usual sound) from the drive and a flashing light for a few minutes (as though the drive was trying to recognise something). Eventually the drive would just stop (but there would be no message telling me that things were wrong.)

Also, I'm a bit confused as to whether this drive should be able to play CDs or not. I do read some testing of a Liteon LTD163 that talks about CD speeds for ripping. But CDs don't play in this drive either.

It seems to me that the reading head (?) has gone. I may need to borrow an external DVD drive from work until I get a replacement...

Any opinions would be grateful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009
    You need a new driver. They are very cheap nowadays. And dvd-rw plays both dvd's and cd's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I agree with D. If a firmware update hasn´t solved the problem then it´s time to buy a new DVD drive.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  12. Thanks guys!

It's good to know that there's nothing I can do except buy a new drive!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Fortunately it is not a very expensive device! wink Just make sure it is a DVD-RW drive (although I think nowadays all of them are -RW).
  13. Expense is a secondary issue - it's my fear of actually doing the job that's the barrier. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    it's my fear of actually doing the job that's the barrier. shame

biggrin

Shouldn´t take you more than 10 minutes to install the new drive though.