• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Marselus wrote
    Shouldn´t take you more than 10 minutes to install the new drive though.

But you need to factor in the 2 weeks preparing myself mentally for the job.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009
    biggrin

Touché.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Audio nuts, I need your help. I'm looking for a decent audio normalizer. Because I sometimes make compilations of different source files, and volume levels are most of the times very far apart. I try to get as closely possible by just using my ears, but volume level is rarely set appropriately on all the tracks. So what's a good (freeware) utility that does that?

Thanks.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    Freeware? Hm, doesn't Audacity do that? it's the best freeware audio software from what i know. If you go for payware, there's 2 ways to go ADOBE AUDITION 3 and SONY SOUND FORGE 10.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've been using MP3gain to great satisfaction.
    Easy, small, intuitive, fast.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik got me involved with Adobe Audition and it will do everything you need it to.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    PCs > Macs

End of discussion.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. Martijn wrote
    I've been using MP3gain to great satisfaction.
    Easy, small, intuitive, fast.

Anything that does that but for WAV files? Because I like to work from the lossless source as much as possible, in case I need to edit anything else in the track.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Audition or Sound Forge are your answer.
  4. Well those are not exactly cheap. sad

Or I do what I wouldn't dare mention here. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, on your 2nd point wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Audition long term is well worth the money
    listen to more classical music!
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Audition or Sound Forge are your answer.

Looks Adobe Audition is the new Cool Edit Pro (which I have). So my next question is how do I normalize tracks that they are equal in volume in relation to each other. Like a certain volume level is used as a reference and each track is increased / decreased according to that level? Can I do that with Cool Edit Pro or do I need something else?

If anyone knows step for step how to do it that'd be great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009
    In Adobe audition, you select and normalize to either -1dB or -3dB. If you apply the same filter to all your waves, you'll get the same normalization rate for all.
  6. The problem I have is that wave spectrum are sometimes vastly different resulting in volume levels that are all over the place. This is because the program looks at the loudest peak and decreases that to -3dB and in doing so the rest of the track as well in relation to that peak.

I've added a pic to demonstrate, the above cue is a more rock like song with very little shifts in volume, where the other one is a calm one with huge differences in volume: both tracks are normalized to -3dB but the above sounds too loud compared to the second.

Up until now I've always used my ears and adjust as I'm listening, but surely a utility or function must exist to facilitate that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009
    Then that's an error in the original sound, or the recording of that sound. What you need is a compressor in the master channel which is a very complex thingy to do if you're not experienced though.
  7. Well let's just say the sources are just MP3 files, which must not have been recorded in the best conditions, both tracks come from the same album btw.

But you get what I'm saying right D? That the program only looks at the highest peak and decreases the volume of the whole track to the level I set. Shouldn't it be looking at the overall sound level, without looking at the peaks? Do I make myself clear at all?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    No, normalize looks at the higher peaks only. A correct recording would have a way more coherent wave-form and not that abrupt and largely different peaks. What you need is compressor.