• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    MovieScore Media presents

JCVD

Music Composed and Conducted by
    GAST WALTZING

Sound clips and more info:
    http://www.moviescoremedia.com/jcvd.html

CD distributed by Screen Archives Entertainment (pre-order):
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=11696

Download album on iTunes here:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143444

“Gast Waltzing’s horn-heavy score is pleasingly old-school and subtly parodic.” - Variety

“The film actually has a great throwback score, too, with Gast Waltzing providing a vintage 70’s cop movie-vibe to the proceedings.” - Ain’t It Cool News

JCVD, the surprise hit film starring Belgian action star Jean-Claude van Damme as himself, features an infectious big band score that will make fans of the of 1970s action thriller scoring (Don Ellis, Lalo Schifrin, David Shire) smile - and dance!

This is our second album with Luxemburg's most prominent film composer and jazz musician, Gast Waltzing (George and the Dragon), but this score is perhaps the complete opposite of that grand symphonic work. Accompanying the tongue-in-cheek character of the film ("a French-language meta-movie parody par excellence" according to Variety), Gast's score is "horn-heavy score is pleasingly old-school and subtly parodic" (also in the words of Variety).

The strikingly bouncy main theme, which appears in several different versions, is juxtaposed with bleak string suspense, improvised jazz trumpet parts and percussive action scoring.

MMS09002 JCVD - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed and Conducted by GAST WALTZING
    Digital release date: February 24, 2009.
    CD release date: March 10, 2009.

Please visit http://www.moviescoremedia.com/comingsoon.html for information about our other upcoming releases!

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Cool. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Very good movie by the way. A great, great performance from Van Damme. Too much praise for Mickey Rourke´s "The Wrestler", and Van Damme delivers a much stronger and honest performance here. His six minutes long monologue by the end of the film is simply stunning. A pleasant surprise.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. yes we are all very proud of The Muscles from Brussels

Anyway, curious about the score I am
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    Van Damme delivers a much stronger and honest performance here. His six minutes long monologue by the end of the film is simply stunning.

That is SO hard to believe, you have NO idea.
    I haven't seen the film yet, so obviously I can't judge, but from what I have seen from Van Damme, I can only infer that you MUST be speaking with the bitterest of irony!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Van Damme delivers a much stronger and honest performance here. His six minutes long monologue by the end of the film is simply stunning.

I haven't seen the film yet, so obviously I can't judge, but from what I have seen from Van Damme, I can only infer that you MUST be speaking with the bitterest of irony!

No, actually I´m totally serious. Watch it and judge yourself. Or read the film reviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote

No, actually I´m totally serious. Watch it and judge yourself. Or read the film reviews.

I thought you were joking initially? shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote

I thought you were joking initially? shocked

No, totally serious here. Watch the film if you can. It´ll surprise you wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I will. I am VERY surprised to hear "good acting" and "Van Damme" in the same sentence, as he's been one of those dudes that crack me up laughing everytime i catch a glimpse on the telly, like Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Rambo as well.

Oh and the 24 dude tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I will. I am VERY surprised to hear "good acting" and "Van Damme" in the same sentence, as he's been one of those dudes that crack me up laughing everytime i catch a glimpse on the telly, like Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Rambo as well.

Yeah, I can understand your surprise. I couldn´t believe it either until I watched the film.

Christodoulides wrote

crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    I think the review from Variety pretty much sums it up:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117937 … E&cs=1

- - -

Van Damme is back! Combined with recent news that the Muscles from Brussels will soon turn auteur with "Full Love," Gaumont's "JCVD," a French-language meta-movie parody par excellence, constitutes the headiest stretch of the beefy star's career since, well, ever. Playing "himself," i.e., an international action stud whose bruising child custody battle has him literally going postal , exec-producing Jean-Claude Van Damme reveals heretofore hidden third dimension to his monosyllabic persona. Ho-hum hostage crisis mayhem serves to buttress co-scripting helmer Mabrouk El Mechri's more experimental stunts, including a tonally opposite pair of longish takes -- one a wonderfully absurd ode to star's martial-arts moves, the other a tear- and prayer-filled Van Damme monologue that must be seen to be believed. An adventurous U.S. minimajor could reap modest B.O. following a June 4 French release.

Playful from its first moments of a balloon-toting cartoon tot kickboxing in Gaumont logo, "JCVD" pumps up "I'm too-old-for-this-crap" cliches via shrewdly deployed in-jokes. Title character is revered for having "brought" John Woo to Hollywood with "Hard Target" in '93 ("He'd still be shooting pigeons in Hong Kong," an industry player opines), but on-set colleagues find fault with 47-year-old's mark-hitting skills. Worse, prosecuting attorney in hero's L.A. custody case dissects icon's eye-gouging oeuvre by DVD to assert dad's history of violence.

Freshly spurned by preteen daughter, jetlagged from trip back to Belgium, and electronically dissed at the hometown ATM, JCVD loses his cool while seeking a post-office wire transfer of euros, only to find he has stumbled into in-progress heist for which he'll be blamed by cops -- and credited, oddly or not, by hordes of placard-waving fans (e.g., "Free Jean-Claude!").

As before, bulky thesp's acting is as flat as his pecs are sculpted, but here said limitations are more clearly part of joke within hollow mirror world, where JCVD loses key role to Steven Seagal because latter negotiated to topline sans ponytail.

Script's sharpest running gag has the concept of celebrity trumping human life in media coverage if not public estimation; even JCVD's sweet old Maman hints at worries of son's marquee rep while mistakenly urging him to release "his" hostages.

Incalculably superior in tone, attitude, intent, and intellect to bulk of bodybuilder vehicles, shrewdly produced pic limits limber star's acrobatics to first and last scenes without great detriment to whole. Gast Waltzing's horn-heavy score is pleasingly old-school and subtly parodic; Philippe Kohn's sound mix is crisply immersive; Pierre-Yves Bastard's widescreen lensing does the job despite de rigueur color-bleaching and scant closeups with which to flaunt Van Damme's near-Buster Keatonesque deadpan. Exception to that to is aforementioned long take wherein weeping JCVD flexes existential about his status as global-screen limb-snapper with backend points.

No kidding.

- - -

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Dennis Haysbert? I think he's a fine actor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin No. the Bauer dude. 21st century's Rambo wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    moviescore wrote
    I think the review from Variety pretty much sums it up:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117937 … E&cs=1

- - -

Van Damme is back! Combined with recent news that the Muscles from Brussels will soon turn auteur with "Full Love," Gaumont's "JCVD," a French-language meta-movie parody par excellence, constitutes the headiest stretch of the beefy star's career since, well, ever. Playing "himself," i.e., an international action stud whose bruising child custody battle has him literally going postal , exec-producing Jean-Claude Van Damme reveals heretofore hidden third dimension to his monosyllabic persona. Ho-hum hostage crisis mayhem serves to buttress co-scripting helmer Mabrouk El Mechri's more experimental stunts, including a tonally opposite pair of longish takes -- one a wonderfully absurd ode to star's martial-arts moves, the other a tear- and prayer-filled Van Damme monologue that must be seen to be believed. An adventurous U.S. minimajor could reap modest B.O. following a June 4 French release.

Totally agree!
  2. well, I think I'm very interested in seeing this one now, considering I'm from Belgium rolleyes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh