• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote
    I tried jogging my regular route today, and thought I was gonna die for every 100 meters. Geezes, how my shape has deteriorated since I came back from the US. Sure, it has been 3 months since my last jog and I've spent that time eating chips and candy and spending a lot of time in the sofa (when I wasn't at work), but still. My God. Half the distance was spent walking, not jogging.

You know what to do.....less p. chips, less candy...and more jogging! wink

Ugh.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012
    Thor wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote
    I tried jogging my regular route today, and thought I was gonna die for every 100 meters. Geezes, how my shape has deteriorated since I came back from the US. Sure, it has been 3 months since my last jog and I've spent that time eating chips and candy and spending a lot of time in the sofa (when I wasn't at work), but still. My God. Half the distance was spent walking, not jogging.

You know what to do.....less p. chips, less candy...and more jogging! wink

Ugh.

I know....I know...
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013
    Today, I had my first trip to the gym in one year. I quickly found out I have the same strength as a geriatric grandmother. Holy crap, how my body has fallen apart! It was quite embarassing to struggle like hell with puny weights, and then a beef boy comes along and lifts about 10 times the weight as if it were cardboard. shame
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol

I shouldn't laugh, I haven't done any fitness of any kind since last November shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. No sports!

wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Thor wrote
    Today, I had my first trip to the gym in one year. I quickly found out I have the same strength as a geriatric grandmother. Holy crap, how my body has fallen apart! It was quite embarassing to struggle like hell with puny weights, and then a beef boy comes along and lifts about 10 times the weight as if it were cardboard. shame

don't quit, in 45 years, you're that beef boy wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

don't quit, in 45 years, you're that beef boy wink

Yeah, top of my game at 80! That would be something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013
    I hate sports. I just try to stay at weight, healthy weight, by not snacking too often and luckily I cycle to work and at work I stand and walk a lot and also climb stairs a lot. So that's all the exercise I get. Oh and a bit of house chores of course. Oh and I do yoga. Good for strengthening the body but it does nothing for...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    ... fitness? Is that the word for how long you can run and things with heartbeat and sweat and stuff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    I hate sports. I just try to stay at weight, healthy weight, by not snacking too often and luckily I cycle to work and at work I stand and walk a lot and also climb stairs a lot. So that's all the exercise I get. Oh and a bit of house chores of course. Oh and I do yoga. Good for strengthening the body but it does nothing for...

Seems like what you do is MORE than enough, Bregje. The best exercise is the one you get in your everyday life!

I hate training myself -- except certain ball sports -- but with my unhealthy eating, I realize it's necessary. Last couple of years have been unhealthy eating combined with lack of physical activity (even in the everyday). So I need to do something about that. It's not so much a weight issue (my weight is fine), but a matter of adding some muscles and getting some of the waist fat away. Maybe that will improve the liver situation too.

But by GOD -- beer and potato chips, two of the greatest inventions of all time....what to do with those?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I know a very relaxed exercize for belly muscles you can do while watching TV. Just lay flat on your back and stretch your legs vertically and keep them that way. To keep them perfectly vertical, put a book or cushion on your feet. Book is best, try to keep it leveled for a couple of minutes. That's it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's nice, but the likelihood of working out in my own apartment is very slim. Too many distractions. But the exercise you mention is a good one when I'm in an actual gym. It's an alternative to regular sit-ups.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    ... fitness? Is that the word for how long you can run and things with heartbeat and sweat and stuff?

Cardiovascular training, that is, I think?
    (Or just "cardio", for lazy people. wink ).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    The best exercise is the one you get in your everyday life!

Yeah, I get that at my IT job!

We do scrum on a daily basis, with a standup in the morning. We do sprints every month and demo it for everyone to test our results.

You'd think I sit in front of a computer all day...
    Kazoo
  3. Bregje wrote

I know I'm being naughty but: The only word I dont like here is "run". shame

Volker tongue
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2013
    I need some advice! (Timmer?) I've recently got back into using weights, and try to workout each day. I've got a pretty decent 45-ish minute routine that I've been doing for a couple of months now, which includes dumbbells. I'm trying to lose weight (not that I'm fat, but just some excess weight around the stomach so any ab workout I do actually shows!), but, mostly, gain a bit of muscle definition.

I'm just wondering if I should be working out every day, if I should repeat the same workout every day, or should I be focusing on particular muscles each day, and do protein shakes/supplements actually work? uhm (And when to take them.)

For fear of sounding like a workout wanker, I should add that I only do this for myself and don't go around "showing off" (not that I have much to show off with!). Nor do I want to look like Arnie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I try to work out every day as well.
    I've been failing this for two years now... dizzy

Seriously though, you probably already know this (and in fact Timmer is probably the fount of knowledge for this), but I was told by my instructor (back during the Napoleontic Wars or so) that you should give any muscle group AT LEAST a day (better two!) to heal, because otherwise the muscles might "sour up" (whatever that means. Doesn't sound good anyway).

That's why a good work-out would be much more varied.
    I.e. one day arms, one day back and cardio, one day legs and cardio... I'm sure there are wonderful technical terms for it, but the bottomline was that variation is key to getting a good definition (and getting in shape as well!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The idea of resting just feels so counter-intuitive, yet I know it's the best thing to do. My reasoning is I feel like I don't do enough work on each muscle 'group' to warrant a rest day, and that a general workout like mine is okay to do each day? I never feel worn out the next day, but then maybe I'm not doing enough? Argh, why does it have to be so difficult!

The actual physical work is not a problem for me; it's the planning and finding the right routine for the best results I always struggle with. As long as I have a plan to follow, I'm good to go
  4. I think that the last thing you want to do is to put all the effort in and not reap as much benefit as possible.

Perhaps there's a build up of metabolites from the exercise that needs to be cleared (e.g., lactic acid, etc?) so that more exercise can be done efficiently. Perhaps this is the sort of "souring" Martijn is talking about.

Allowing the muscles to rest regularly may prepare the muscle groups to work as efficiently as possible the next time that they are given a work out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    maintitles.net has evolved into 'Work-out Inc."!

I tried a couple of weight-lifting sessions before summer (the first in a long time), but then a week later I had some intense pain in the right biceps. Well, a month later I go to the doctor, and he tells me I've torn off a lot of muscle fibers in there, and that it was only pure luck that they didn't have to operate. So I just have to wait untill it repairs itself, which is fine because I find weight-lifting the most boring enterprise in the world.

Meanwhile, I've tried a little bit of jogging once or twice a week (more like fast walking with a few brief jogs), which is also a bit boring, but much, much better.

Anyways, just a personal update. I really can't help in Steven's query this way or that way.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I try to work out every day as well.
    I've been failing this for two years now... dizzy

Seriously though, you probably already know this (and in fact Timmer is probably the fount of knowledge for this), but I was told by my instructor (back during the Napoleontic Wars or so) that you should give any muscle group AT LEAST a day (better two!) to heal, because otherwise the muscles might "sour up" (whatever that means. Doesn't sound good anyway).

That's why a good work-out would be much more varied.
    I.e. one day arms, one day back and cardio, one day legs and cardio... I'm sure there are wonderful technical terms for it, but the bottomline was that variation is key to getting a good definition (and getting in shape as well!)

Martijn is absolutely right about giving the muscles rest days ( train a muscle group every other day ) and I think Alan is correct about the lactic acid build up ( Steven, get your girl to give worked out groups a good massage after training wink ).

You can still work out everyday Steven though you may be limited with just dumbbells, if for example you're working arms split the routine over two days, biceps one day and triceps the next, that way you're working out pulling muscles one day and pushing muscles the next, but forearms can be worked out every-day-of-the-week if you so wanted, like the calves they're used to a lot of continual wear and tear, and besides, you never know when you'll need to grip someones neck and tell them they are wrong wink

Can you give me an idea of what your daily routines are?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep!

4 minutes of planking (probably the hardest part of the routine... Jesus fucking Christ)
    50 press ups (try to push myself off the ground each time)
    50 squats (the second hardest part of the routine: I use a 22kg dumbbell I hold with both hands and curl with each squat, seems to work the pecs)
    50 leg raises (not sure what it's called, but I lay flat on my back, and bring my legs up while reaching my toes with my hands, so they work the abs)
    About a minute of side planking on each side
    50 arm curls on each arm with a 12.5KG dumbbell (the 22kg seems overkill for my biceps)
    30 sit ups (using the 12.5kg dumbbell)
    25 press ups (hands closer together so it works slightly different muscles to normal push ups... I think)
    30 ab crunches (I think that's what they're called)

It generally takes about 45 minutes because I take lots of mini breaks in-between… shame (It certainly works up a sweat, so I definitely feel like I'm doing something beneficial, though I fear I may be doing it the wrong way!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd say that with limited options you're doing pretty good. Press-ups with alternating hand positions is a great idea, if you can raise your legs up ( place your feet up on to a couch, chair or bed? ) it works wonders on the upper pectorals.

The arm curls, I'm presuming you're doing 5 x 10 reps?

I notice no shoulder work. Not enough back work. Doing anything for calves would be near pointless with such tiny weights.

Also, and I hope I'm not preaching to the converted, but no amount of exercise will get rid of fat around your middle, you can't 'spot reduce', only good diet will do that though exercise will make a flabby stomach a bit firmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thanks for the advice Timmer. What kind of back and shoulder exercises could you recommend given my limited equipment?

I do 15 reps, then 10 then 5 for the armcurls. Also, I try to avoid sugary and fatty things, and don't overload my plate during meals. I've managed to cut a bit of fat, if slowly. But it's nice to see results no matter how small! (And I've definitely noticed a more toned physique.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What on earth is 'planking'? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not to be mixed up with the 'meme', or fad of planking, but rather the exercise. You hold that position for as long as you can, and ye gods does it work the lower abs! By doing 3-4 minutes of 'planking' every day for the last two months, I've seen a very noticeable difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If you've not done it before and you manage to reach 2 minutes on your first try, you're doing well. I could only manage a minute when I first started, if that.
  5. I'm a little late to this conversation, but Steven, I highly recommend that you give give this guy's 12 week program a serious look. Even if you don't have access to a gym and you're doing everything with dumbells, the principles he lays out in the opening videos of his program are solid. I just wouldn't recommend taking creatine. A lot of body builders swear by it, but my cousin's husband ended up in the hospital because it had enlarged his heart. Stoppani knows his stuff, though, and this program was great for me last summer until I injured myself (through no fault of the program, I might add).