• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Skipping rope is one of the most intense and excellent aerobic exercises out there. But few non-athletes can do it. I, for one, can't. It's so intense but once you get used to it, there's nothing like that. But overall, if you're not doing your aerobic exercises each and every day in combination with good nutrition, there's nothing you can do with essence but to fool yourself with some weight-lifting, which is what the majority of the money-spending ignorant people do in the gyms and who - obviously, don't see or feel any significant results. It's not always their fault though, many professionals of the area are after making more money than doing their jobs right.

Really!!? dizzy

Not where I'm from! People who spend good money to go to a gym get good advice on training and nutrition, at as far as my experience!?

"fool yourself with some weightlifting?"

Explain?

Maybe i didn't myself clear.

People who go into the gym, lift some weights for a couple of hours and then go home eating whatever they want, in whatever amounts they feel like, whenever they feel like it. And doing that without significant amounts of aerobic exercises to counter-balance.

Look, it's simple. Weightlifting + proper nutrition + aerobic exercises = good health and good physical state.

If you take something out of the equation, it doesn't work. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

Okay, that's better! beer

And yes, I've known a few people in my life who treat excercising like that. If anyone decides to embark on a regime of getting fit it takes planning and discipline.

No one has mentioned swimming yet? I love swimming but unfortunately pools here are full of chlorine slant vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The best thing in this and on which i already congratulated you, is that you WANT to act in the right way and that you're asking for info about it. But don't look at me, if you want to do it perfectly, you can always ask a professional. I don't think he'll tell you much differently, at least this is what my own experience tells me.

But again, CONGRATS on you for wanting to ACT and DO something. Once you find the powers to begin (since the beginning is always the toughest part of everything), you'll get used to the better lifestyle and you'll love it. 30 mins per day of exercise will not only seem not a big deal for you, but you'll eventually crave it, hopefully!

punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    No one has mentioned swimming yet? I love swimming but unfortunately pools here are full of chlorine slant vomit

Clears the sinuses a treat, mate! cool

Seriously though, no, I used to do a LOT of swimming (was very good at it too, could hold my breath for EVER), but it dropped off, mainly due to all the pools in my vicinity closing.

While I've read about it being a "full body" excercise, I've always doubted that: surely the weight loss due to the density of the water impedes any proper work-out (unless you're keep it up for hours on high-end training excercises and speed swimming)?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Swimming is indeed an excellent exercise! Forgot about that, but it's not something all people can do due to many reasons and obviously the importance of..erm, water in the whole thing biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Clears the sinuses a treat, mate! cool

Seriously though, no, I used to do a LOT of swimming (was very good at it too, could hold my breath for EVER), but it dropped off, mainly due to all the pools in my vicinity closing.

While I've read about it being a "full body" excercise, I've always doubted that: surely the weight loss due to the density of the water impedes any proper work-out (unless you're keep it up for hours on high-end training excercises and speed swimming)?

No surprise then that olympic swimmers supplement with lots of weight training etc wink

But man I miss swimming slant sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, I did so enjoy it, even if it apparently isn't the best excercise out there. sad

Interesting conclusion in this -otherwise also very interesting- article on swimming as an excercise (and a weigh loss method) I just found and read:

"If you enjoy swimming, then stick with it. It's more important to be consistent with an exercise program you enjoy than to be inconsistent with one you hate."
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yes, I did so enjoy it, even if it apparently isn't the best excercise out there. sad

Interesting conclusion in this -otherwise also very interesting- article on swimming as an excercise (and a weigh loss method) I just found and read:

"If you enjoy swimming, then stick with it. It's more important to be consistent with an exercise program you enjoy than to be inconsistent with one you hate."

And how very VERY true! beer <--spirulina health drink? wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I usually run about a mile and a half every Sunday and Wednesday (which means I'm going out in a few minutes!), and then do maybe about 30 push ups every so often when I'm waiting for something to download or am watching something on TV that doesn't need my full attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And Steven mentioned that he goes cycling frequently with accompanying music?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    I'm going to see if I can find one of my old training logs / manuals?

It'll be too extreme for anyone wanting to simply get fit but it'll still be interesting ( at least for me anyway? ) to see what I was doing 15-20 years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'd certainly be interested in hearing a little more about them! Especially as I think there are not only tips but also some lessons to be drawn from them (didn't you damage your knees?) That would be very educational! (Sorry, that sounded a bit clinical shame )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I'd certainly be interested in hearing a little more about them! Especially as I think there are not only tips but also some lessons to be drawn from them (didn't you damage your knees?) That would be very educational! (Sorry, that sounded a bit clinical shame )

No prob. smile

I'll see if I can find them tomorrow, they are here but buried away in the loft.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I recently started visiting a gym with friends, otherwise I'd never do that. It's a bit of everything. Running, cycling (which I do anyway), weigh lifting and dying. Since I'm as thin as the paycheck I just got (though printed with generous numbers), I thought I'd add a little more to myself, in order to become carton or so. I guess I'll only see the results in about a year or so, when my money is gone and I feel like a carton.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I so relate to the "dying" bit...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I recently started visiting a gym with friends, otherwise I'd never do that. It's a bit of everything. Running, cycling (which I do anyway), weigh lifting and dying. Since I'm as thin as the paycheck I just got (though printed with generous numbers), I thought I'd add a little more to myself, in order to become carton or so. I guess I'll only see the results in about a year or so, when my money is gone and I feel like a carton.

...a.....a carton!?? dizzy spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    I so relate to the "dying" bit...

The first day after the first day was terrible. I almost couldn't put my coat on. I thought I was gonna break or fall apart.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ...a.....a carton!?? dizzy spin

Sigh...it's the old "eventual" "eventueel" mistranslation again.
    Dutch "karton" isn't "carton" but "cardboard".
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You're eventually right. BedTank!
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote

well well Bregt, I would like to do that too. But I'm low on cash
    It seems you aren't wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I thought you did?

I just got the 250EUR every Flemish citizen gets this year. How cool. cool
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He's not.
    He's springing us a trip to Úbeda, remember?
  2. Bregt wrote
    I thought you did?

I just got the 250EUR every Flemish citizen gets this year. How cool. cool

I did do that until a couple of months ago, man I would love to get back at it
    alas, financially it has been put on hold

The first couple of weeks are murder, but after that you'll do fine wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm not too sure.
    My shoulders are killing me, and I can't stretch my arms without excruciating pains...

Damn. I should probably be drunk next time to dull the pain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I used to work out regularly up untill October last year, meaning gym workout twice to three times a week, pluss the odd jogging trip or football play with buddies (esp. during summer). That didn't make me particularly big or muscular, but decently fit. However, in October, I got a condition which I'm struggling with to this day (and which will seriously diminish the pleasure of my upcoming Thailand trip). I haven't worked out a single minute after that; never lifted anything heavier than a casserole. The closest has been my walk to work (about 15 minutes each way) whenever the weather allowed it. The result is that I've gained LOTS of fat around the waist and lost equally much muscle. Not a good sight or prospect for someone who is genetically quite slim. sad I'm not even sure I want to take my T-shirt off in public when I'm off to warmer climate.

Whenever I have this whole disease thing sorted out (knock on wood), I hope to return to regular workout and a healthier lifestyle.

The danger of being put in my position, however, is that you start to give a damn about nutritious foods as well. I've upped my consumption of chocolate and potatoe chips, for example. It's as if I'm thinking, "Bah, my body is deteriorating anyway, I could just as feel good while it happens". You know, "emotional eating" and all that.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    A shame we can't stay fit and healthy without doing exercise. I'd love nothing more than to be able to watch films all day and eat whatever I wanted without feeling the effects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    1) I need to reinforce my back and shoulder muscles to counteract the loss of power in my spine due to a hernia I got two/three years back. It's no hassle now, but as I get older I will need that additional power to avoid chronic back problems.

Normally I'd recommend deadlifts, which is my own personal favorite, but since you can't use your hips, that is ruled out. Try the pulldown cabel machine, which is good for the back, and perhaps some rows. Shoulder press will be good for the shoulders. You can see various exercises here:

Back
    Shoulders

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

GodDAMN.

That is EXCELLENT.

Thanks, Peter! I owe you one! wine
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    This thread has just inspired me to take a run. Thanks all.

*goes down to run around the lake*

Peter spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You have lakes? And you can run around it?

Sigh. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Happy to help, Martijn. I used those pages frequently, back when I was working out regularly.

Peter wave