• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    You have lakes? And you can run around it?

Sigh. sad

Yep. Not the greatest looking lakes though, but they are nice to run around.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Since I'll have to run around it in 4 times, I'll have to bring my tent. Or is there a boat to go back from where you started?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Since I'll have to run around it in 4 times, I'll have to bring my tent. Or is there a boat to go back from where you started?

If there's no boat, perhaps there's a goat?

goat
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    This thread has just inspired me to take a run. Thanks all.

*goes down to run around the lake*

Peter spin

Now?! It's midnight in half an hour!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009
    Thor wrote

Yes, I felt a bit silly at first. But I met 3 other runners down there who were out for a night run. punk

Peter :sweaty smiley:
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregt wrote

Sadly not. One has to go all the way. wink

Of course one could turn around and run the other way, but that would feel like quitting.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes, I felt a bit silly at first. But I met 3 other runners down there who were out for a night run. punk

Peter :sweaty smiley:

Were they all blokes!? shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

1 guy, 1 chick, 1 with unidentified gender.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Peter smile

Was it Bregt?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Peter smile

Was it Bregt?

Betting at Ladbrooks has it at 3/1 it's Bregt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    angry
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote:
    "It's more important to be consistent with an exercise program you enjoy than to be inconsistent with one you hate."

Bregt wrote:
    I recently started visiting a gym with friends, otherwise I'd never do that.

For me these two things would be important. Since I'm not very motivated to do sports, it has to be something I really like, or I have to find a sports buddy to make it more fun and who helps me to go.

A fun thing would be something with dancing, preferably with others. Team sports is good for social exercise too and it gives you a club with side activities as well. I really miss that part of my youth actually.

The hard thing about going to a gym can be the solist part of it, you have to drag yourself to the gym so to speak. And there are no strict times to go. If you would make arrangements you just have to go, but if you can go whenever you want...? I've seen people who had a sports card and didn't go for a year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Seriously though, no, I used to do a LOT of swimming (was very good at it too, could hold my breath for EVER), but it dropped off, mainly due to all the pools in my vicinity closing.

While I've read about it being a "full body" excercise, I've always doubted that: surely the weight loss due to the density of the water impedes any proper work-out (unless you're keep it up for hours on high-end training excercises and speed swimming)?

Did you forget that you have to move your limbs through that density instead of through the air??

This talk about swimming reminds me that I did that for a while too. Can you imagine, as a 15 year old I went to the swimming pool twice a week, before school time?! I got up at 6.00, went swimming for 45 minutes and then I was at school at 8.15.
    dizzy
    Anyway, I swam 40 x 25 metres (= 1 kilometer = 0.65 mile...) in 40 to 45 minutes and that felt kind of intense. I'm sure that if I wasn't in the water I would sweat. This makes me wonder, how long is an English pool?? They use metres at the Olympics as well right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, why the pain? What did you do? If you didn't do something in the wrong way, then you started off with excessive weights, perhaps?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just my muscles not being used to that kind of strain.
    Should be alright after a few times. smile

Bregje wrote
    Did you forget that you have to move your limbs through that density instead of through the air??

True, but does that offset the weight loss?
    Anyway, that article I liked to made some very interesting points about swimming leading to agreater appetite, hence the risk of not actually losing any calories. It was quite an interesting take, adn one I'd never thought about (even though it's true: after swimming I'm positively famished, while after another type of workout I'm sometimes a little peckish.

Can you imagine, as a 15 year old I went to the swimming pool twice a week, before school time?! I got up at 6.00

shocked
    NO! I CANNOT!

sleep
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje, what you did was pretty cool! Only if we could all do that and more importantly, keep doing it in adulthood!

Martijn, it's the beginning, your muscles are not used to that; it'll go away gradually but generally you shouldn't push yourself too much when starting out.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje, I can't remember how long most English pools are? But we do have some Olympic sized ones.

You also made a good point about "a training buddy", having a friend who is motivated to train with makes a world of difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    However, in October, I got a condition which I'm struggling with to this day (and which will seriously diminish the pleasure of my upcoming Thailand trip).

Is it still wise to go?
    Surely your cancellation insurance (provided you have one, of course) will kick in if we're talking debilitating illness/condition here?
    I know you don't want to talk about it, but here are some positive vibes nonetheless: wave ( ( ( ( ( ( ( <scandinavia>

The danger of being put in my position, however, is that you start to give a damn about nutritious foods as well. I've upped my consumption of chocolate and potatoe chips, for example. It's as if I'm thinking, "Bah, my body is deteriorating anyway, I could just as feel good while it happens". You know, "emotional eating" and all that.

Yeah, I can relate to that.
    It's am almost overwhelming urge to flip the whole world the bird: "my body is fucked anyway, so fuck all the rest as well".

It's interesting though that generally and quite against stereotype, the board seems overwhelmingly interested in and active at keeping at least a modicum of a healthy lifestyle. Stereotypically one would think that "geeks" who aren't content to just listen to their weird niche music but also need to go on and on and on about it for hours on end on an internet message board would be sad, chalk-white, obese "comic book shop guys".

It's very gratifying in so many ways to see such conceivable images relegated almost immediately to the trash where they belong. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    It's interesting though that generally and quite against stereotype, the board seems overwhelmingly interested in and active at keeping at least a modicum of a healthy lifestyle. Stereotypically one would think that "geeks" who aren't content to just listen to their weird niche music but also need to go on and on and on about it for hours on end on an internet message board would be sad, chalk-white, obese "comic book shop guys".

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. But then again, this is quite an untypical board in many ways. Most people here seem more....uhm......"normal" somehow. Which is great, of course.

Thanks for the vibes! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. But then again, this is quite an untypical board in many ways. Most people here seem more....uhm......"normal" somehow. Which is great, of course.

I can only presume you're Doc has okay'd you for flying?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

I can only presume you're Doc has okay'd you for flying?

I'll know tomorrow.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In that case, like Martijn, accept my most possitive vibes for tomorrow ol' pal punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Damn. I'm isolated again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    In that case, like Martijn, accept my most possitive vibes for tomorrow ol' pal punk punk punk

From me too! Few things so enrich the soul as travel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

You're British. Sad and chalk-white comes with the territory!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

You're British. Sad and chalk-white comes with the territory!

Why I oughta! slant

To be honest, I'm a geek who doesn't get sun burnt very easily. I know, it's a bit of an oddity really, but I can't get enough of sweet sweet fusion energy. lick
  1. Up until a couple of years ago I was fairly healthy and in-shape - I played football and tennis regularly, etc. I'm genetically predisposed to be "big" (I'm 6'5" tall), but after I suffered my back injury in 2006 it means I tend to be in a lot of pain if I exercise a lot, and as a result I have really put weight on. What bothers me is WHERE I have put it on: my arms aren't fat, my legs aren't fat, I have no backside, and I don't have a double chin: it's ALL around my stomach. Unfortunately, I don't really have a way to get rid of the back pain - my doctor said it's there forever and I just have to deal with it - so doing exercise at the level some of you guys to is out of the question for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Damn Jon. slant

Is there any kind of excercise you can do?
    Or is it just watching your diet now?
  2. That's too bad, Jon.

This thread excites me a little as I just recently started working out in earnest. I've probably been at it for a month or so, now. I go to a gym every morning from 5:30 to 6:00 am. I lift weights Mon., Wed., and Fri., and I run on Tue. and Thur. Running is still the hardest thing. I thought I was going to pass out this morning. Starting in March I'll be adding some kind of stretching routine to Tues. and Thurs. This is all rather out-of-character for me. I've never lifted weights in my life, or been a runner, so I'm starting from rock bottom, basically. I gain weight like Jon Broxton--all around my waist. But since I've started this (and been more careful about eating sweets) I've lost 10 lbs.