• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Exactly how much in Ibs / Kilos do you have in weights? Dumb bells or single bar?

Dumbbells of about 10kg each at the moment. Nothing overkill, but they seem heavy enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Too many people over-train they're biceps, it's such a small muscle but in the past I've seen people concentrate on curling for half an hour plus while only spending 15 minutes on legs rolleyes

People is usually very lazy regarding legs training, simply because it´s one of the hardest muscular groups to look big so they concentrate on the easier ones (biceps, chest, triceps).

Tuesday is my legs training day btw smile

Indeed; only people who have big, large upper body and chest and tiny legs look ridiculously funny biggrin

That´s true. There´s a guy at the gym where I go that has a huge chest, stunning biceps/triceps and a big shoulder, but has tiny, tiny legs. It is funny, indeed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Exactly how much in Ibs / Kilos do you have in weights? Dumb bells or single bar?

Dumbbells of about 10kg each at the moment. Nothing overkill, but they seem heavy enough.

Nowhere near enough for leg or back training.....do you have a gym at Uni?

The problem with certain types of excercise...particularly Squats and bench press is that you should never perform them alone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Legs require lots and lots of kilos on specific machines from what i remember. something around 100-150 kgs or something?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm just running a couple of miles every day still. I suppose it's working as lots of my jeans are getting too big for me!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Too many people over-train they're biceps, it's such a small muscle but in the past I've seen people concentrate on curling for half an hour plus while only spending 15 minutes on legs rolleyes

People is usually very lazy regarding legs training, simply because it´s one of the hardest muscular groups to look big so they concentrate on the easier ones (biceps, chest, triceps).

Only when you cry tears of blood will your legs finally grow! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    The problem with certain types of excercise...particularly Squats and bench press is that you should never perform them alone.

Absolutely. Squats is one of the most dangerous exercises to perform. You have to do them very precisely and with the correct technique if you don´t want to hurt your back.

As for bench press, not as dangerous as squats, but it is very useful to have somebody neraby to help you if needed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Absolutely. Squats is one of the most dangerous exercises to perform. You have to do them very precisely and with the correct technique if you don´t want to hurt your back.

As for bench press, not as dangerous as squats, but it is very useful to have somebody neraby to help you if needed.

I would say benching is very dangerous, tou don't want to use big weights and lose control and be all by yourself. When training by myself I'll use dumbells for benching or if I use the bar I don't secure the weights with butterfly clips and I'll always train lighter than what I'm capable of.

But yes Marcel, without right technique squatting can be a disaster zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Indeed; only people who have big, large upper body and chest and tiny legs look ridiculously funny biggrin

That´s true. There´s a guy at the gym where I go that has a huge chest, stunning biceps/triceps and a big shoulder, but has tiny, tiny legs. It is funny, indeed.

I found that this commercial was within subject wink
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuV5HUuvjw

Please ignore the quality and the guy laughing at the end...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Just an idea Steven, have you looked in charity shops or 'trade it' papers? You can quite often find sets of weights for reasonable prices ( sometimes almost a giveaway ), also, a set of chest expanders can have multiple uses ( including a black eye which I once gave myself for not being careful uhm ) and are particularly excellent for triceps and shoulders, an item I often see going for between £5 - £10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Trade it papers? Wassat?

Hmm, I might try the chest expander. I just wish it did what it implies in the name.. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009 edited
    OOOHH, trade it papers. Sorry, the penny just this second dropped. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Trade it papers? Wassat?

Hmm, I might try the chest expander. I just wish it did what it implies in the name.. dizzy

Keira Knightly should check em out wink

Trade-It? I guess this is just a Bristol paper but almost everywhere has it's own paper like this, you know, full of adverts from people buying and selling everything from Stereos to funiture to whatever and they're own Granny if skint enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    OOOHH, trade it papers. Sorry, the penny just this second dropped. shame

That was my bad shame wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'll be jogging 6 km in an hour or so, when my dinner is properly digested. One thing is weight training....another is actually getting your stamina up! I hope you think about that too, Tim? You can have all the muscles in the world, but what's the point if you can't even walk 100 meters without gasping for air? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I'll be jogging 6 km in an hour or so, when my dinner is properly digested. One thing is weight training....another is actually getting your stamina up! I hope you think about that too, Tim? You can have all the muscles in the world, but what's the point if you can't even walk 100 meters without gasping for air? wink

Very true Thor. I'm doing some aerobic work and cycling as much as I can. Hopefully I'll be able to get out somewhere for hillwalking on weekends now that the weather is so good....I didn't get half way up Mt Everest without having stamina wink and yet it's one of the easiest things to lose.

p.s. These days I'm looking more for a pleasing physical shape than huge muscles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I didn't get half way up Mt Everest without having stamina wink .

So now stamina consists of making it only halfway is it?
    Come on you slacker!
    And ONE and two and UP and two!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You got me! applause biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Speaking of Everest, there has been much hooplah in Norwegian media recently as a guy named Jarle Trå tried to climb the top without any help and without any extra oxygen. He allegedly made it to the top (his memory is fussy due to the low amount of oxygen to the brain), but got trouble on the way down. He was picked up by two sherpas, but almost lost his life. He now recovers in Katmandu. The really eerie part of the story, however, is that he found the corpse of his German friend Frank on his way down....he had tried to do the same thing as Jarle just before, but wasn't so lucky. Incredible to think that there are some 200 corpses up in that mountain that have never been recovered and just lie there. On the other hand, you can't get a more majestic burial ground.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fascinating story Thor, he's a lucky man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Very true Thor. I'm doing some aerobic work and cycling as much as I can. Hopefully I'll be able to get out somewhere for hillwalking on weekends now that the weather is so good....I didn't get half way up Mt Everest without having stamina wink and yet it's one of the easiest things to lose.

p.s. These days I'm looking more for a pleasing physical shape than huge muscles.

Indeed; glad you all pointed that out; the only way to get your stamina and general physical condition up to greater levels is good nutrition, a healthy lifestyle overall (controlled drinking and sleep, etc) and lots of AEROBIC exercises. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Indeed; glad you all pointed that out; the only way to get your stamina and general physical condition up to greater levels is good nutrition, a healthy lifestyle overall (controlled drinking and sleep, etc) and lots of AEROBIC exercises. smile

Controlled drinking....pfft! slant
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes.
    No more than one beverage at a time!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Yes.
    No more than one beverage at a time!

beer
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol

You don't want to admit it, but truth bites smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    lol

I drink the truth beer biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    lol

I drink the truth beer biggrin

But can you handle it?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Started going to the gym to lose some weight. An hour a day of cycling, running, rowing and whatever you call the thing where your arms and legs move at the same time on the machine. After six weeks, net weight loss = nil.

Then I was rather ill last week and didn't eat much. Net weight loss in a week = 10kg.

There's a moral somewhere in that story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't wash your hands after going to the loo?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall