• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011
    Thank you my friend, really appreciated! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011
    Congratulations again honey! You are both gorgeous! I absolutely love the look of happiness on your faces! May it always remain so! kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    Awesome pics D! punk

A lovely couple you both make! Handsomeness and beauty overfloweth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011 edited
    Ow, I hadn't seen this yet! shocked

That's very cool Demetris. Great to see so many happy and beautiful people on these pictures. Congratulations again, and I'm looking forward to the announcement of the party. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank you so much my friends smile It's really appreciated, coming from you. Thus why i created the maintitles account smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011 edited
    uote]Thor wrote
    Very nice. I like the fact that you can BUY the pictures! smile

You have a very lovely girl and family. Is it common in Greece to throw special parties with families for engagements as well? In Norway, the big parties are usually reserved for the weddings, while the engagement is usually something very private between the man and woman (at a restaurant or something).

Update from my girl; wink

1. Man proposes to woman in private and usually offers the one stupidly expensive one-diamond ring (i don't know how you call it shame). Woman usually says "yes", cries etc etc and that's called the proposal and in Greece, something that basically translates to "giving your word that you'll take the woman and all".

2. Then, a (usually small, between the families) formal dinner is arranged, called the engagement. In this occasion, the man goes with his family (parents and bros and sis) to the babe's house carrying a shitload of expensive presents, flowers and the 2 wedding rings, and do a thing like "formally asking the girl" from her family. Then we eat a shitload of food and drink a lot and there's also some standard expensive cake that the man must buy and other expensive traditions as well wink

3. Then, the wedding. Difference from the majority of the western world as i understand it, is that whilst most people get the wedding rings at stage 3, we get them earlier (stage 2) and carry the same rings all the time whilst you're engaged and also use those very same rings at the wedding too, whenever that takes places.

We did it much simpler but basically the general outline is the same smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the extra info. smile

We don't really do stage 2 here in Norway, which is why I was curious about it. It's usually straight from 1 to 3. However, rings are exchanged for the engagement as well. I'm not sure about the details here, though. Something about the type of ring (a special engagement ring?) or wearing on a different finger while you're engaged or something. I'm not sure. Married people, please inform!

I've heard a lot about Greek weddings (isn't that the one where the groom smashes a glass with his foot or something?), but not so much about Greek engagements.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011
    Well, not really anymore, at least most modern couples don't do that stuff; there's a hell of traditions ranging inside the country, from place to place, village to village, it's up to the couple and the family what to choose. Most modern weddings i've been and worked at (video, audio) were fairly calm, standard and uninteresting wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for the fingers yeah, i am all learning about this now too. You wear it on the left hand if you're engaged and then switch to the right when married.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    The breaking of the glass is in Jewish weddings not Greek ones. Most couples here now don't go through stage 2. I mean there is a combination of stage 1 and 2 with the girl wearing a diamond ring and the man usually not wearing a ring until the wedding when the get their wedding rings. Demetris is right about the left and the right hand though! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, most couples do not do 2 anymore, but it's mostly for the parents, all the joy and celebrations and stuff smile
  1. hope you have a long and lovely life together. I thought such a charming only existed in the movies, but now you have proven me wrong

all the best of luck to both of you, she's a real keeper. wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. In Belgium it is generally the tradition to buy 'the diamant ring' or something very ostentacious as an engagemnt ring, and then a simple gold band as a wedding ring, that can be worn behind the engagement ring.

However, some of the more younegr generation are deviating from that tradition now.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011
    Thomas thank you so much, very nice words! kiss
  3. Someone I'm following on Twitter retweeted a tweet from someone whose brother is in Norway and caught the recent Northern Lights. One of the best photos I've seen on the subject.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2011
    Fantastic. What an odd but awesome sight.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Someone I'm following on Twitter retweeted a tweet from someone whose brother is in Norway and caught the recent Northern Lights. One of the best photos I've seen on the subject.

An AWESOME sight, something I hope to see one day.

Apparantly there should be some good Aurora activity in Scotland due to recent huge solar flares.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. The weather's not being terribly helpful in the UK at the moment. I was out last night in the vain hope that there might be something visible even at my latitude. But the moon's almost full at the moment (as seen in the photo above) so viewing conditions are not too good.

But it's been quite misty here over the last couple of days and that hasn't helped.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Apparantly there should be some good Aurora activity in Scotland due to recent huge solar flares.

Really? Cool! But very rare then?

Have you seen them before Alan?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2011 edited
    A friend of mine lived in the north of Norway for a few years and saw the Borealis on a number of occassions and yet he said the best display he ever saw was on the Island of Scoraig in the North West of Scotland.

Have you ever seen it Alan?

EDIT: Me and Bregt obviously think alike wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. No I haven't seen them. One of the great "wants" of life.

I have this expectation that they are going to look like what you see in photos and time-lapse footage (the intensity, not the movement) but I imagine it's not going to be as impressive a light show as that. However, I have been told that it is entirely dependent on a variety of factors - including storm intensity - that defines how bright it all gets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2011 edited
    This has to be one of the best photos I have seen of the sun:

http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_p … oater.html

Just look at that detail!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2011
    Stunningly terrifying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The sun.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011 edited
    I uploaded some photos of animals (including my study bird, Hwamei) on Picasa.

Chinese Hwamei (an introduced avian species in Japan)
    Wild birds
    Frogs/toads
    Other wild and not-so-wild animals (including cat)

I'll upload some recent photos later. I took pics of spring flowers smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  6. Nice photos Miya.
  7. Beautiful, beautiful smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2011
    I uploaded some photos I took some weeks ago.
    The blossom season in Tokyo! smile

https://picasaweb.google.com/1043681394 … directlink

There are also some pics of outside of Ghibli Museum biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011
    The blossoms are beautiful!