• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Throwing spears, one of the most ancient sports of them all!

ahh, nice
    good for Norway
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    everyone wants to be the best, especially in this competition, but top sporters always want to improve themselves the next day, so why wouldn't he save just a little for another day?

Bolt doesn't need to save a little. This guy is going to continue to smash records for years to come.

And once again I point out the significance of the event. It's the World Track and Field Championships. The World Series, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup Final of all track events... next to the Olympics. THIS is where you shine and try to do your all time best. No holding up here my friend!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    Reminds me of Captain Ahab and the harpoons.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    everyone wants to be the best, especially in this competition, but top sporters always want to improve themselves the next day, so why wouldn't he save just a little for another day?

Bolt doesn't need to save a little. This guy is going to continue to smash records for years to come.

And once again I point out the significance of the event. It's the World Track and Field Championships. The World Series, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup Final of all track events... next to the Olympics. THIS is where you shine and try to do your all time best. No holding up here my friend!

-Erik-

The rest of the world outside the Americas really has little connection to the World Series, Super Bowl or Stanley Cup (except maybe by name), but Track and Field WC IS the third largest sport event in the world after the Olympics and the World Cup in football.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    All things sporty... keeping that in mind I would like to chat a little bit about my "sport"... its actually not a real sport though. But a good excercise nonetheless.

I am now 36... and way back in 1988 I started with Kung Fu. "white eyebrow style". A nice style, relatively no-nonsense. I like(d) it. My teacher was a great man too. Sadly he passed away in 2001. So with no other likeable teacher available I stopped training. During my kung fu days they nicknamed me Hercules. Since then I have become fatter and less active, and now I am just known as the "big 'fat' guy" haha. Have been looking since for an alternative sport...

Ok... fast forward to February 2008... ah, the internet... youtube. Watched some martial art clips, and discovered some weird looking clips about a Russian Martial Art. I have always been interested in Russian related stuff, so I checked it out in more detail. What I saw was something so unlike any traditional martial arts... like Karate, Taekwondo and such. Quite weird, often fake looking too. However having an open mind, and diggin' Bruce Lee's concept of 'no style'... I continued to look into this martial art.

Its name: SYSTEMA or The System.

A fighting System (for special army units) developed in the former Soviet Union. Systema is not a style, you don't need to memorize katas or specific ideal techniques over and over. Instead you will learn the concepts of biomechanics and you start to expiriment with it. Its like they teach you how to paint, but you can make your own painting. You don't have to paint exactly like your master. You don't have to wear a special uniform too, there are no belts either. Just a sturdy t-shirt/trousers will do. Anyway, I can't explain it all here... but for those who have an open mind, and would like to try an interesting martial art without having to learn katas and such... give it a try. (and the best thing is... try to find a Systema school/study group (study groups are often for free) in you area and train a few times. Don't judge it from some weird Youtube clips.

In my experience, I learned a lot more after one or two lessons of Systema, than compared with all my kung fu lessons. Nothing against kungfu or all the other martial arts though. I love them all. But personally Systema fits as a glove for me. Its fun while being practical and non-limiting. Thank you for reading.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The rest of the world outside the Americas really has little connection to the World Series, Super Bowl or Stanley Cup (except maybe by name), but Track and Field WC IS the third largest sport event in the world after the Olympics and the World Cup in football.

Wow! shocked You TOTALLY miss my point! COM-PLETELY!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Wow! shocked You TOTALLY miss my point! COM-PLETELY!!!

-Erik-

Yeah, I must admit that I found your post somewhat ambigous. Were you coming down on "track and field" or were you lifting it up by comparing it to what is - in your part of the world - major sporting events?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, I must admit that I found your post somewhat ambigous. Were you coming down on "track and field" or were you lifting it up by comparing it to what is - in your part of the world - major sporting events?

Major sporting events! The BIG GAME! I love track... I was a triple jumper, high jumper and long track runner in middle school. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those true athletes.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A runner like Bolt seldom comes along. My opinion however is he'll not run the 100 meters in under 8 seconds.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    A runner like Bolt seldom comes along. My opinion however is he'll not run the 100 meters in under 8 seconds.
    Thomas

Probably not but SOMEONE will run under 9 seconds wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And he could very well be the man!!!

8 seconds would be 10% or more faster. It would be the equivalent of 3:10 mile.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Major sporting events! The BIG GAME! I love track... I was a triple jumper, high jumper and long track runner in middle school. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those true athletes.

-Erik-

Gotcha!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    And he could very well be the man!!!

8 seconds would be 10% or more faster. It would be the equivalent of 3:10 mile.
    Thomas

I would never say never but that would be a seriously spectacular achievement. I imagine that someone will do it within my lifetime though.

I wonder who is the greatest sportsman or woman in the world - the person who is furthest ahead of everyone else in his or her field. Perhaps it's Bolt.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mike Tyson had an air of invincibility from the mid 80's until 1990.

In Snooker Ronnie O'Sullivan would be leagues beyond everyone else if his head wasn't so fucked up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was only really thinking about now. Three recent candidates aren't really there any more. Tiger Woods has lost his air of invincibility, Federer dominated tennis for ages but now there's Nadal, Schumacher was light years in front in Formula One but has now gone.
  2. Timmer wrote

In Snooker Ronnie O'Sullivan would be leagues beyond everyone else if his head wasn't so fucked up.

What's wrong with his head?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

This guy is going to continue to smash records for years to come.

-Erik-

I have no doubt this guy will smash the one record after another, but still I think for that reason alone he held in just a little, to make it easier to smash it the next time around

but in the end, only Bolt knows the truth, so what do I know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I wonder who is the greatest sportsman or woman in the world - the person who is furthest ahead of everyone else in his or her field. Perhaps it's Bolt.

In present time... Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps.

Of all time... Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong, Jim Thorpe, etc.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

I'd forgotten about Phelps - good call.

I've never even heard of Wayne Gretzky or Jim Thorpe, but will look them up now!
  4. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

I'd forgotten about Phelps - good call.

I've never even heard of Wayne Gretzky or Jim Thorpe, but will look them up now!

Wayne Gretzky is definitely one of the best hockey players who ever played
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Zinedine Zidane....nuff said.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote

ah, the head basher, superior footballer though
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

What's wrong with his head?

He's a manic depressive. In his field ( snooker ) he is a true genius and I use that word with all the weight that implies, he really is something extemely special, he's also quite a controversial figure.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Absolutely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    How could I forget Phil "The Power" Taylor!?
  6. Did O'Sullivan's condition ever influence his playing, like for example acting out to an umpire (referee) during a game or something like that?
  7. Southall wrote

Which sport is that? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Good point.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Did O'Sullivan's condition ever influence his playing, like for example acting out to an umpire (referee) during a game or something like that?

Sort of. That's where he becomes controversial, in the past he's given up and walked out half way through a match, been disrespectful to his opponents, hit an official and at times be damned odd in his behavior, he was also stripped of one of his titles after being tested possitive for marijuana.

He's a pussycat though compared to the legendary Alex Higgins.