• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I was flicking around the channels last night and came across (on Eurosport 2) the final stages of 2009 Red Bull Crashed Ice competition that was recently held in Quebec.

Erik, have you come across this?

Anyway, it was really addictive and by the time it finished an hour had passed.

Here's one of the semi-finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3WAZBzMoM
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009
    I'm an active person, but I'm not really into sports. I enjoy the Wimbledon during the Summer as it's a bit of a tradition in our house to have it on, but that's about it.

I find it funny when fat, old men watch football and criticise the players for not performing "as well as they should" while they sit in their chairs drinking their beers. Hilarious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was flicking around the channels last night and came across (on Eurosport 2) the final stages of 2009 Red Bull Crashed Ice competition that was recently held in Quebec.

Erik, have you come across this?

Anyway, it was really addictive and by the time it finished an hour had passed.

Here's one of the semi-finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3WAZBzMoM

Ya, saw this on ESPN Classic last week. It's a mix of Roller Derby meets Fast Track Speed Skating meets Hockey meets Bobsled meets Snowboarding. I can't say I was all that interested.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I'm an active person, but I'm not really into sports. I enjoy the Wimbledon during the Summer as it's a bit of a tradition in our house to have it on, but that's about it.

I find it funny when fat, old men watch football and criticise the players for not performing "as well as they should" while they sit in their chairs drinking their beers. Hilarious.

A bit like people who've never picked up an instrument in their lives sitting at their computer complaining about film composers being rubbish!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

A bit like people who've never picked up an instrument in their lives sitting at their computer complaining about film composers being rubbish!?

I hope that's not aimed at me? confused

But yes, I agree. Same thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    I'm an active person, but I'm not really into sports.

That would describe me too. I love cycling and running though and those can be characterized as sports, although i don't exactly perform them as strictly structured as their formal cousins wink From what i know you Steven like to cycle as well; keep it up!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

Nope. All of us! If you were only allowed to criticse something you are able to do yourself, then this forum would be a quiet place. Only Justin would be able to post anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I like watching beach volley.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I like watching beach volley.

me too cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

Nope. All of us! If you were only allowed to criticse something you are able to do yourself, then this forum would be a quiet place. Only Justin would be able to post anything.

True. But there's something about the way these old guys criticise football players. We might criticise on an intellectual level, they criticise simply because their team didn't win. Apparently that upsets fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I'm just not into sports. Never have been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

If that was the thing, no forums should exist and certainly no debate wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

That would describe me too. I love cycling and running though and those can be characterized as sports, although i don't exactly perform them as strictly structured as their formal cousins wink From what i know you Steven like to cycle as well; keep it up!

Yep. Every day if possible.

Recently bought a new bike, a Specialized Hardrock Comp. A great bike with mid-range components for only £400. A bargain if you use it a lot which I do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet! Photos? I have a peugeot one!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2009
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Yep. Every day if possible.

Recently bought a new bike, a Specialized Hardrock Comp. A great bike with mid-range components for only £400. A bargain if you use it a lot which I do!

Mine costs £50 and is a bugger to ride up hills.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Hills is a luxury we don't get in Portsmouth. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

Hills is a luxury we don't get in Portsmouth. slant

biggrin

My bike is just a good sturdy mountain bike which is great for getting around the city.

A person I know from a pub I go to is seriously into mountain bikes and "used" to have one that cost him over £3000, he used to lock it up outside the pub and one night I suggested to him that he should buy a cheap 'runaround' if he was going to lock it up outside pubs etc and guess what happened within a week of me saying that.................
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    heheh. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    heheh. biggrin

Indeed! I just found it gobsmacking that someone can pay that much for a bike ( somethng I don't feel is justifiable ), and not have it insured, and locking it up outside pubs!!!?....just asking for trouble.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Seriously, that's plain dumb! What did he do afterwards? Hit his head on the wall?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Seriously, that's plain dumb! What did he do afterwards? Hit his head on the wall?

I told him straight that he was an idiot and he agreed! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Th...th...th...three THOUSAND? shocked
    POUNDS?!?!? shocked shocked shocked

Was the frame inlaid with rubies, and the spokes pure silver?
    What the HELL??

I had to laugh about the difference between Timmer's and Steven's bike, Steven getting the flashy mountain bike in a flat area and Timmer running his old sturdy workhorse up and down the Bristolian Alps. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Th...th...th...three THOUSAND? shocked
    POUNDS?!?!? shocked shocked shocked

Was the frame inlaid with rubies, and the spokes pure silver?
    What the HELL??

I had to laugh about the difference between Timmer's and Steven's bike, Steven getting the flashy mountain bike in a flat area and Timmer running his old sturdy workhorse up and down the Bristolian Alps. smile

biggrin

As for that price....well, there's no way I'd pay that. I know nothing about cycles technically but I've seen frames for £2000 +....yes, that's right, the FRAME, no wheels, no brakes, no nothing, just the frame shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I sense a racket... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I mentioned in the thread that led to this one that I'd dig out one of my old training logs, this one, in brief is from 2nd July 1980 when I was 19 years old and boy was I seriously pushing it or what!! shocked

Not much writing with it, just a graph with reps and poundages so I've filled in details where necessary.......

Supersets starting with high reps ( everything is written in Ibs )

Squats

12 x 140 Ibs
    10 x 160 Ibs
    8 x 180 Ibs
    6 x 220 Ibs

From this point the legs are seriously warmed up and ready for heavy....

4 x 280 Ibs

2 x 320 Ibs

From here I did six sets of leg extensions and leg curls but there is no mention of weight, just a code I used for where I'd put the pin in the stack ( still with me? )

Deadlift

12 x 180 Ibs
    10 x 200 Ibs
    8 x 220 Ibs
    6 x 260 Ibs
    4 x 300 Ibs
    2 x 350 Ibs

Calf raises

All it says is six sets with as much weight as possible

A year later at 20 years old I was squatting well over 400 Ibs ( 200 Kilos ) and Deadlifting 500 Ibs.

Looking through these lists my best Bench Press was 380 Ibs ( approx 175 Kilos ) and I was curling 180 Ibs for reps.

Jeebus wept shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What the hell is a deadlift? shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote

http://www.mthotham.com.au/today/snowte … d-lift.jpg
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Bregt wrote

smile beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Bregt wrote

smile beer

So a deadlift is an ugly, 40 year old-ish manly woman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009 edited
    Jesus Timmer...I 'me getting a pain down my back just reading that.
    That is some pretty damn serious lifting!

Checked on the techniques, and unfortunately though, none of it's for me: there's SO much pressure on the lower back I'd do myself an injury. slant (Not that i'd want to compete with a twenty-year old, mind... gramps already has some trouble lifting his glasses... )
    (of port)

Thanks for sharing that, though! Mightily impressive!