• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009 edited
    Intrada Announces...

THE WAY WEST
    Music Composed by BRONSILAU KAPER
    Conducted by ANDRE PREVIN
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 92

The 1967 United Artists film The Way West was based on a novel by A. B. Guthrie. Noteworthy for its sensitive prose and attention to detail, Guthrie’s book won wide praise as historical fiction, telling the tale of a wagon train journey from Missouri to Oregon’s Klamath Valley in 1843. In its transition to the big screen, everything grew larger than life. The film is remarkable for presenting the challenges faced by a wagon train in a realistic manner, including competition from cattle drivers, fear of disease, shortages of food and water, and keeping peace with Indian tribes. Frankly speaking, it’s a long, hard slog and anything but glamorous. Kirk Douglas played Sen. William J. Tadlock, the visionary leader of the expedition, determined to make the 1800-mile trek at any cost. Robert Mitchum is veteran guide Dick Summers, who is coaxed out of retirement following the death of his Native-American wife. And Richard Widmark plays farmer Lije Evans, a rough-and-tumble everyman who verbalizes his objections on behalf of the settlers.

For The Way West, Bronislau Kaper wrote a strong, confident orchestral score. Kaper wrote themes for characters, not just mood, and the tuneful basis for his score begins with the first track of the album. As the Liberty Train rolls out of Independence, the narrator intones “On the Sixteenth of April, 1843, the sun rose in the east, and headed west…over Missouri,” which then becomes the lyrics to “The Way West” (featuring The Serendipity Singers). While it was common practice to re-sequence songs so that they appear at the beginning of an LP, there’s more at work here: The motive that emerges in this tune provides the basis for Kaper’s score. From a comical country waltz, to exciting action set pieces, Kaper covers the much ground in his diversely-scored western.

Previous releases of The Way West were not without their flaws. Even the original UA LP had a five second drop-out, which carried over to other releases, until the score showed up on an abbreviated CD, where the producers simply and abruptly edited it out. With access to all the original elements at MGM, Intrada is proud to present the original LP program, complete, in stereo, and flawless as intended!

This release is limited to 1200 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 92
    Retail Price: 19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6099/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009
    Perhaps I'm interested.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Since we're doing separate composer threads here, perhaps it would be appropriate to correct the topic title. It's Bronislau, not Bronsilau. Speaking of which, I believe I've heard that his name was also spelled Bronislaw after a while in the US.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Other way around I think: his name IS Bronislaw, but the US immigration service botched oit up, so he had togo through the rest of his life as BronislaU.

I never noticed the thread title was incorrect! Obviously my brain automatically compensated the typing error smile
    Anyway: fixed!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why? -w = something communist whilst -u = is something Jewish?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Non-american name = komplikayturred.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009 edited
    Yeah, everything except Tom, Jim and 3-syllable stuff like that is a toughy eh? rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Let's just call him Kaper!!!
  1. Martijn wrote
    Non-american name = komplikayturred.

And interestingly, the spelling is BRONISLAV.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    bronislaw is correct
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    working on two of his scores the way west and tobruk
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/t … westkaper/

The Way West is coupled with The Unforgiven
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010
    I also have Tobruk sitting and waiting for another round with a review to follow
  2. I notice that there is a digital release of Kaper's Butterfield 8. Anyone have an opinion on this score?

I notice that this film starred the recently-departed Liz Taylor. And did anyone see that she left instructions for her to turn up to her own funeral late? smile
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    Yikes I just realized how long Tobruk has been sitting. I should have the review done tomorrow
  3. sdtom wrote
    Yikes I just realized how long Tobruk has been sitting. I should have the review done tomorrow

Yep, those reviews won't write themselves! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/tobruk-1967kaper/

done