• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. For Immediate Release

WATCHMEN SOUNDTRACK AND ORIGINAL SCORE RELEASED TODAY, MARCH 3RD, ON WARNER SUNSET/REPRISE RECORDS

Highly Anticipated Mystery Adventure Film Watchmen
    Features New Music From My Chemical Romance

Original Score Album Features Music Composed By Tyler Bates

March 3, 2009 — Burbank, CA — Warner Sunset / Reprise Records released both the soundtrack and original score to the feature film Watchmen today, March 3rd. The highly anticipated feature film hits theaters this Friday, March 6th.

Music From The Motion Picture Watchmen, the film's official soundtrack, includes My Chemical Romance's powerful reinterpretation of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row," recorded exclusively for the film. The soundtrack also features a collection of classic songs by such artists as Nat King Cole, Leonard Cohen, and Jimi Hendrix that, once heard in the context of the film, will never be thought of the same way again.

Watchmen Original Motion Picture Score features music by recording artist, composer, and music producer Tyler Bates, who was asked to score the film by Watchmen director Zack Snyder. Tyler, who also scored the Snyder-directed films 300 and Dawn of the Dead, has also scored the soundtracks to The Day the Earth Stood Still, Showtime's Californication, Slither, Rob Zombie's Halloween, and The Devil's Rejects. He is known for his surprising juxtapositions of music styles and flair for delicate, atmospheric touches, as well as stressing emotional vibrancy over traditional formulas of music compositions. Bates has also been chosen to score the Watchmen's DVD added story, "Tales From The Black Freighter."

Music From The Motion Picture Watchmen and Watchmen Original Motion Picture Score are being released in multiple fan-friendly configurations: The physical CD, and a digital album are available on March 3rd, and a vinyl edition of the soundtrack will be released on March 17th.

Watchmen Singles Box Set will be released on March 24th. The box set contains seven 7-inch vinyl picture discs, one for each Watchmen, plus the original Silk Spectre. The picture discs come inside a hardbound book packaged in a special slipcase. Each picture disc has their image and unique saying. The Watchmen Singles Box Set will include My Chemical Romance's cover of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row," plus 13 hand-selected tracks from Tyler Bates' Original Motion Picture Score.

The Watchmen Singles Box Set available exclusively at www.watchmenmusic.com and is now available for pre-order.

A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" — which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union — moves closer to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the outlawed but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion — a disbanded group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers — Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity...but who is watching the Watchmen?

Watchmen is directed by Zack Snyder from a screenplay by David Hayter and Alex Tse, based on the graphic novel co-created by Dave Gibbons, published by DC Comics. The film is produced by Lawrence Gordon, Lloyd Levin, and Deborah Snyder. Herbert W. Gains and Thomas Tull are the executive producers, with Wes Coller serving as co-producer. The film stars Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Carla Gugino, Jackie Earle Haley, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Patrick Wilson.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Paramount Pictures present, in Association with Legendary Pictures, a Lawrence Gordon/Lloyd Levin Production, a Zack Snyder Film, Watchmen. Watchmen will be released nationwide on March 6, 2009. It will be distributed domestically by Warner Bros. Pictures and internationally by Paramount Pictures.

Music From The Motion Picture Watchmen track-listing is as follows:

1. Desolation Row - My Chemical Romance
    2. Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
    3. The Times They Are A-Changin' - Bob Dylan
    4. The Sound Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
    5. Me & Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
    6. I'm Your Boogie Man - KC & The Sunshine Band
    7. You're My Thrill - Billie Holiday
    8. Pruit Igoe & Prophecies – The Philip Glass Ensemble
    9. Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
    10. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
    11. Ride of the Valkyries - Budapest Symphony Orchestra
    12. Pirate Jenny - Nina Simone*

* - used in the end credits of the "Tales From The Black Freighter" DVD.

Watchmen Original Motion Picture Score track-listing is as follows:
    1. Rescue Mission
    2. Don't Get Too Misty Eyed
    3. Tonight The Comedian Died
    4. Silk Spectre
    5. We'll Live Longer
    6. You Quit!
    7. Only Two Names Remain
    8. The American Dream
    9. Edward Blake – The Comedian
    10. The Last Laugh
    11. Prison Fight
    12. Just Look Around You
    13. Dan's Apocalyptic Dream
    14. Who Murdered Hollis Mason?
    15. What About Janie Slater?
    16. I'll Tell You About Rorschach
    17. Countdown
    18. It Was Me
    19. All That Is Good
    20.Requiem (Excerpted from Mozart's Requiem)
    21. I Love You

www.watchmenmovie.com
    www.watchmenmusic.com

###
    For more information contact: cinemediapromo@yahoo.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2009
    "He is known for his surprising juxtapositions of music styles and flair for delicate, atmospheric touches, as well as stressing emotional vibrancy over traditional formulas of music compositions".
    biggrin
    That made my day
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I want to have a drink wit the person who wrote that sentence. Stunning!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    "He is known for his Surprising juxtapositions of music styles and flair for delicate, atmospHeric touches, as well as stressing emotIonal vibrancy over traditional formulas of music composiTions".

See, a hidden message.
  2. bhangra
    moon
    (me kicking bates)

lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SHIT; love it. Srsly, this is full of crap. Bates, the press releases, everything vomit
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I haven't even TRIED to listen to him biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2009 edited
    Apart from Get Carter which I mentioned before and I liked his take on Roy Budd's classic and iconic theme and thought his underscore to ( the extremely poor ) film was pretty good I haven't heard, as far as I can recall, any scores by Bates so I really can't knock him.

Having said all that I'm really tempted right now to watch the cllassic Michael Caine, Roy Budd scored original film, the best British gangster film ever made IMO and right up there with the best of the genre.

p.s. The 'Music From' CD has some fantastic classic tracks from Hendrix to Glass cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    SHIT; love it. Srsly, this is full of crap. Bates, the press releases, everything vomit

Have you listened to Watchmen? I watched the film last night and was fully prepared to hate Bates' score, but I actually (God forbid) enjoyed the music in the film. There is a prominent theme in the score and granted his electronic usage is sloppy, but the actual score isn't that bad when viewed with the film. (And it's a damn sight more listenable than 300.)

The Prestige was a boring drone until I actually watched the movie, and the score fit the movie like a glove.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    I have. An electronically "enhanced" 300 copy-paste with random chords here and there and crappy, loud synths and electronics. I am never prepared to hate or like anything when i step in for the 1st listen.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have. An electronically "enhanced" 300 copy-paste with random chords here and there and crappy, loud synths and electronics. I am never prepared to hate or like anything when i step in for the 1st listen.

Do you prefer Justin?
  4. We have a theory that Justin Boggan is Tyler Bates's mentor biggrin .
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    We have a theory that Justin Boggan is Tyler Bates's mentor biggrin .

No, Bates is Justin's mentor. wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote

I think it's a bit more sophisticated than that. I don't remember hearing any electric guitars or wailing female vocals while experiencing Watchmen.

I'm not going to defend Bates after all (and granted the film could've used a better composer), but I enjoyed the music -- both songs and score. Give me this score over the trashy Zimmer-produced score from two years ago... you know which one it is.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    I have the Cd. smile