• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    Christian Bale
    Johnny Depp
    Michael Mann
    Elliot Goldenthal.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal … nemies/hd/

CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool

So the legend goes, John Dillinger was extremely well blessed with his own personal weapon. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm disappointed by that trailer. A lot. The digital camera is, for me, enough to boycot this film: it clashes with the period feel Mann is trying to achieve and it's just downright ugly. Am looking forward to Goldenthals score, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    Well said Bob
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I think the digital choice is audacious for a period setting. It guarantees that the 1920s in the film will not be draped with a nostalgic light that it doubtless did not possess in real life, and will set the film apart from every other attempt at the genre. (Could it look any less like Road to Perdition?) It would be nice to see Mann shooting something in the classical lighting style of HEAT once more, but the energy of this story doesn't seem to call for such elegance.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Loved every bit of it, the camera work is fresh to say the least and i have the absolute trust in Michael Mann.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My opinion is yuk
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    Tons of new stills from the movie. This looks fantastic! cool kill << that's supposed to be a tommy gun
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009 edited
    Yep, it's that time of the year again: I'm in love.

I'm so glad Mann has opted for a digital look. It's refreshing to see a 1930s gangster film in a more gritty, realistic style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Made it, Mann! Top o'the world!"
    slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A footnote perhaps? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    A footnote perhaps? uhm

Whuh?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Footnote*

*an ancillary piece of information printed at the bottom of a page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Footnote*

cheesy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Footnote*

Thank heavens that's cleared up.
    I was getting confused.

(Incidentally: rolleyes to the power of face-palm-mt )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I felt it safe to assume that not all politically and sociologically savvy, well-read and scientifically astute intelligent men grasp the meaning of this rather complex notion. Thankfully I am blessed with an understanding for advanced concepts such as The Footnote far beyond what most can even begin to imagine.*

*i.e. I figured you knew. I just wanted to know what "Made it, Mann! Top o'the world!" meant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Made it, ma. Top of the world!" is a famous quote from the classic gangster picture White Heat, starring perennial gangster James Cagney as public enemy number one, Cody Jarrett. Jarrett is a pretty psycho old-time gangster, with -of course- some seriously unresolved mother issues.

The scene in which he shouts it at the world is his end scene, in which he's surrounded by police in an oil refinery, and the gunfire sets off an exploson in which he perishes.

The two good guys then somberly intone "Cody Jarrett... He finally got to the top of the world... and it blew right up in his face."
  2. I am so glad that there's a Michael Mann film around the corner. I wish Billy Crudup wasn't playing J Edgar Hoover (memories of his performance in The Good Shepherd as coming back), but Mann is - for me - the only real commercial filmmaker whose aesthetic choices make any film, no matter how silly, worth watching. Or you've got to back a long way to find dirt on him. Steven Spielberg and Ridley Scott don't have a track record as good as Mann's since Manhunter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven Spielberg and Ridley Scott don't have a track record as good as Mann's since Manhunter.

Since Manhunter Mann has directed...

Public Enemies (2009)
    Miami Vice (2006)
    Collateral (2004)
    Ali (2001)
    The Insider (1999)
    Heat (1995)
    The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Spielberg's seven films after The Sugarland Express

The Color Purple (1985)
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
    E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    1941 (1979)
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
    Jaws (1975)

Scott's seven films after The Duellists

1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)
    Thelma & Louise (1991)
    Black Rain (1989)
    Someone to Watch Over Me (1987)
    Legend (1985)
    Blade Runner (1982)
    Alien (1979)

Yeah... I think Spileberg's list can hold its own against Mann's.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Well we all look for different things, don't we? wink
    Although to be fair, I put it the wrong way - I meant I didn't find Ridley Scott and Spielberg's films as interesting in the same period since MANHUNTER. I'll give you that Spielberg's 70s run and Scott's first three are very impressive.
    But all these guys make films which are relatively bad from time to time. Mann has his MIAMI VICE, Spielberg has his ALWAYS or his TERMINAL (or his CRYSTAL SKULL), Scott has his GOOD YEARs. With Mann, I find I'll watch the relatively bad films again and again, and STILL get something out of it. For all their flashy technique, a bad film from Spielberg or Scott is worth no more to me than a bad Brett Ratner or Michael Bay film. (And it doesn't help that they only rarely make films which are actually about something of substance.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    "Made it, ma. Top of the world!" is a famous quote from the classic gangster picture White Heat, starring perennial gangster James Cagney as public enemy number one, Cody Jarrett. Jarrett is a pretty psycho old-time gangster, with -of course- some seriously unresolved mother issues.

The scene in which he shouts it at the world is his end scene, in which he's surrounded by police in an oil refinery, and the gunfire sets off an exploson in which he perishes.

The two good guys then somberly intone "Cody Jarrett... He finally got to the top of the world... and it blew right up in his face."

BRILLIANT FILM!

....and such a shame that these classics ( Cagney, Bogart, McMurray, E.G.Robinson etc ) are virtually NEVER shown on terrestrial TV stations anymore angry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt