• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
    Mine is:

Star Wars trilogy
    Amistad
    The Terminal
    Jaws
    Jurassic Park
    Hook
    Harry Potter 1,2,3
    Memoirs of a Geisha

What's yours?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    A stone appears very big when you keep very close to your eyes, but when keep it away a same stone looks a very small. Do you get it?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    AKA You can't say "What's your all time favourite John Williams score?" and list like 12 of them yourself. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Anthony wrote
    AKA You can't say "What's your all time favourite John Williams score?" and list like 12 of them yourself. dizzy

Why not, my friend? In fact, i have more favorite scores of his. But i could recollect only some of them. So, tell me, What's your all time favorite John Williams Score? lick
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

*silence*

Yes, just one, like your question asked. Your OP went against your question. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

*silence*

Yes, just one, like your question asked. Your OP went against your question. spin

Just one. OK! i change my question, "What is your favorite John Williams scores?" beer
    Please tell me, what do you mean by OP? kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Southall wrote
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue.

Why? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Welcome to the forum and everything, but these kinds of threads... sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Welcome to the forum and everything, but these kinds of threads... sleep

Exactly... especially since we already have a John Williams thread where something similar was posted.

sleep

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Mine is:

Star Wars trilogy
    Amistad
    The Terminal
    Jaws
    Jurassic Park
    Hook
    Harry Potter 1,2,3
    Memoirs of a Geisha

What's yours?

I would be more interested in knowing why they're your favourites?

Personally I have so many favourites but if I had to pick just one it would have to be Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind, this incredible celestial score never ceases to amaze and thrill me with it's complexities and moments of heavenly beauty, a score that easily makes my all time top 10.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Hmmm. Personally I have so many favourites but if I had to pick just one it would have to be Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind, this incredible celestial score never ceases to amaze and thrill me with it's complexities and moments of heavenly beauty, a score that easily makes my all time top 10.
    Oh hang on. Thats exactly what Tim said! And I totally agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009 edited
    OP=original post...or is it opening post?

I'd have to say the original Star Wars trilogy contains my favorite music by John Williams. Great, great stuff. I watched those films a bajillion times growing up, so the music brings back fond memories.

After that: Schindler's List (nearly 100% heartbreaking gorgeousness), Hook, and Angela's Ashes.
  1. christopher wrote
    OP=original post...or is it opening post?

I'd have to say the original Star Wars trilogy contains my favorite music by John Williams. Great, great stuff. I watched those films a bajillion times growing up, so the music brings back fond memories.

After that: Schindler's List (nearly 100% heartbreaking gorgeousness), Hook, and Angela's Ashes.

Oh I totally agree. The original trilogy remains the epitome of film music for me. It features all the elements that made me fall in love with the genre.

But if I would have to give a top 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Close Encounters and Superman are the ones that do it for me each time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Hmmm. Personally I have so many favourites but if I had to pick just one it would have to be Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind, this incredible celestial score never ceases to amaze and thrill me with it's complexities and moments of heavenly beauty, a score that easily makes my all time top 10.
    Oh hang on. Thats exactly what Tim said! And I totally agree!

smile beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. HOOK easily

Because it has everything, simply everything punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Does it have monkeys with bowler hats though?
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I usually respond Minority Report to this question, which I believe to be the best score of the century so far. It has a highly ambitous take on musical structure that is unprecedented in film, as is the originality of the orchestrations. It is music that sounds fresh and unique, but at the very same time it retains Williams' brilliantly refined and accurate craftmanship. The thematic material is as radiant as ever, and Williams seems to have worked harder at developing these themes than he did in the entire Star Wars saga put together. As a composer scrutinizing the works of other composers, I can't believe how he managed to display such bravery on the creative side without clouding the dramatic relationship between the music and its accompanying images. It is beyond any doubt one of the composer's most distinguished musical achievements, yet sadly it lacks acknowledgement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Talk about over rated! It's pretty good but not the best thing Williams has ever written. And original? Hardly. Hearing "March of the Villains" during the eye ball sequence and "Ludlow's Demise" from The Lost World during the chase sequence were very distracting! A few nice themes but better than the Star Wars saga... shocked Wow! Just wow!

Now, there are two stand out cues however that I think display some of that originality and greatness you were talking about; "Pre-Crime to the Rescue" That scene doesn't work without Williams music and the best action cue in the score "Everybody Runs," which is far more interesting due to its subtle nature unlike "Anderton's Great Escape" which is so in your face and doesn't fit with the rest of the scores tone. The rest is rather average Williams material.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I guess some people really don't like material being re-used!? I very rarely have a problem with it, and in fact sometime I relish the use of re-used material. If it's done in a particularly clever way and used well, like Williams always does if he ever revisits a certain technique/style/motif/theme, then I find it interesting to see it put to use in a different film. Whatever Williams may have re-used in Minority Report, all I can say is it was put to excellent use.
    • CommentAuthorantonios
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009
    Home Alone

AI Artificial Inteligence

simple as that nothing else to sayy , two amazing scores from an amazing composer
  3. If I had to pick one score it would have to be Star Wars.

This one does have a special place in my collection as it's the one I consider that set me on my way to an appreciation of film/TV music. But even with this affection removed it's a score that is definitely able to stand on it's own as the crowning achievement in Williams' career.

There's so many great aspects to this score: emotional highs and lows, great themes, brilliant action scoring (that are great stand-alone pieces) & poignant passages, some great source cues as well! What more could you ask of a score? And I really like how this score seems to be "clean", with orchestrations that do the job without cluttering the soundscape with excess.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Cue for cue, "Jaws". With a preference on the MCA re-recording (which is a rare thing for me).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Mine is:

Star Wars trilogy
    Amistad
    The Terminal
    Jaws
    Jurassic Park
    Hook
    Harry Potter 1,2,3
    Memoirs of a Geisha

What's yours?

I would be more interested in knowing why they're your favourites?

Personally I have so many favourites but if I had to pick just one it would have to be Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind, this incredible celestial score never ceases to amaze and thrill me with it's complexities and moments of heavenly beauty, a score that easily makes my all time top 10.

Each scores based on different genre. I like that variations. In fact, John is a versatile composer. He can compose for action, adventure, sci-fi, comedy, war, drama etc. That's the reason why those scores are my favorites. To be honest, even there are lot more. But unfortunately, i couldn't recollect all those.

Cheers! beer
  5. justin boggan wrote
    Cue for cue, "Jaws". With a preference on the MCA re-recording (which is a rare thing for me).

I definitely prefer the re-recording over the original (though I haven't heard the more recent McNeely(?) re-recording.

I've always assumed that a big part of me enjoying the re-recording more than the original was the fact that the re-recording was the disc I was brought up on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Schindler's List.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Schindler's List.

I have to say that as well. WAR OF THE WORLDS, MINORITY REPORT and A.I come next.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    75% post-millennium scores? Blimey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know. Closer to my tastes though wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    IMO John Williams has only done a handful of misfires, it would be far easier to list all the scores of his I don't care for and that would be mostly his 1960's comedy fluff.

I prefer late 70's - 90's Williams but looking at everyone elses choices there isn't a bad one amongst them.