• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    New generation directors who have obviously not grown up with orchestral material primarily, who are forming and following trends that are aiming their pop-corn flicks to similarly oriented, younger audiences who won't appreciate an orchestral quality in their fast-food cinematic products. Think about that.

I´ll send the bhangra man to these directors and producers. Maybe a little dance on their heads make them change their seriously damaged brains.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not about grandness nor volume. Is about the musical character in the core. Added to my points made above, is my strong belief that most of them youngsters don't have what it takes in terms of knowledge and musical education in order to do what they should do. It's far easier to approach an orchestra the "loud" and "rock" way, where no particularly advanced arrangements or orchestrations are demanded, just guitar riff-like takes on the orchestra. Something which Zimmer did first i suppose.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's far easier to approach an orchestra the "loud" and "rock" way, where no particularly advanced arrangements or orchestrations are demanded

Brian Tyler would be the exception to this (despite the fact that his repertoire is far more varied than action and loudness IMO).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote
    I thought exactly the same, but then I watched this:

http://www.vimeo.com/2931602

vomit

No matter how you perform it... it is still terrible! i couldn't imagine sitting through 12 and half minutes of that crap during a concert.

vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    12 and a half minutes? Perhaps you should have included it in your show Erik? wink

Listening to your celebration show, and it's a great set of pieces (all between 12 and 13 minutes!). On to Hour 2 now, with LOTR: ROTK and its end piece! cool

Congrats with the 12 years! That's long, half my age actually. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

vomit

No matter how you perform it... it is still terrible! i couldn't imagine sitting through 12 and half minutes of that crap during a concert.

vomit

-Erik-

That´s your opinion and I obviously respect it. But I didn´t mean que quality of this particular suite or their general works. What I meant is they ARE ABLE write purely orchestral music, that you may or may not like, but they don´t HAVE TO enhance it using all kind of tricks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    That´s your opinion and I obviously respect it. But I didn´t mean que quality of this particular suite or their general works. What I meant is they ARE ABLE write purely orchestral music, that you may or may not like, but they don´t HAVE TO enhance it using all kind of tricks.

Sure... they don't have to but I think Demetris explained earlier that without the electronics, overlays, reverb, etc, a purely symphonic score from these guys exposes their weaknesses.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Last Starfighter - Craig Safan

Marvelous! Simply marvelous! Brings back a lot of memories!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    12 and a half minutes? Perhaps you should have included it in your show Erik? wink

biggrin

Bregt wrote
    Listening to your celebration show, and it's a great set of pieces (all between 12 and 13 minutes!). On to Hour 2 now, with LOTR: ROTK and its end piece! cool

Congrats with the 12 years! That's long, half my age actually. smile

Thanks for listening! 12 years is indeed a long time but I can still remember my first show as if it were yesterday! Lots of great memories over the years and thanks to my show I've met and talked to a lot of fascinating people!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

Sure... they don't have to but I think Demetris explained earlier that without the electronics, overlays, reverb, etc, a purely symphonic score from these guys exposes their weaknesses.

-Erik-

Exactly.

Listen, think of a beautiful woman who doesn't need anything more than her gorgeous charm in order to captivate you with her presence.

Now think of a not great, decent chick with Insanely large doses of make up that looks great on the outside but leaves you running for the exit next morning when you see her plain. That's an RC score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Listen, think of a beautiful woman who doesn't need anything more than her gorgeous charm in order to captivate you with her presence.

Now think of a not great, decent chick with Insanely large doses of make up that looks great on the outside but leaves you running for the exit next morning when you see her plain. That's an RC score.

Good one D! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Marselus wrote

I mean it proves it can be done without all the reverb and electronic enhancement you mention, and make it sound purely orchestral. That´s why I really don´t understand.

The music on CD sounds very close to this version in term of orchestral arrangement. Close as in it's pretty much the same arrangement, as in I really doubt that it was ever rearranged for a concert setting.

I have no problem with either though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Exactly.

I'll take both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Exactly.

I'll take both.

Actually Steven is right. The only thing you have to do is leave while it´s still dark tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Quantum of Solace (Arnold)

I find this score pretty, pretty interesting.

the whole score has some king of dramatic sense all the time that really makes me be unconfortable (in a good sense of the word).

"perla de las lunas" with the electronic touch and the Barry homenages is irresistible.

And How I said hundreds of time "night of the opera" is one of the most original and one of the greatest pieces from Arnold ever! Anyone with me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

the whole score has some king of dramatic sense all the time that really makes me be unconfortable (in a good sense of the word).

"perla de las lunas" with the electronic touch and the Barry homenages is irresistible.

And How I said hundreds of time "night of the opera" is one of the most original and one of the greatest pieces from Arnold ever! Anyone with me?

Yes, but I'm waiting for the part where you pick it apart and find something terribly wrong with it.
  1. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (John Debney)

I haven't even heard Edelman's take on this franchise, nor do I need to. And I'll be damned if I'll ever be stupid enough to watch the obviously obnoxious film. Debney's music sounds fun enough outside of it, maybe the best aspect about the whole thing. It's no classic but it provides for a good half hour of music that is more thrilling than a lot of recent scores I have heard.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (John Debney)

I haven't even heard Edelman's take on this franchise, nor do I need to. And I'll be damned if I'll ever be stupid enough to watch the obviously obnoxious film. Debney's music sounds fun enough outside of it, maybe the best aspect about the whole thing. It's no classic but it provides for a good half hour of music that is more thrilling than a lot of recent scores I have heard.

Edelman's score stinks and thank God Debney came in to save the score in the picture. The film is bad but I really, REALLY enjoyed the first half which actually was ten thousand time more exciting and thrilling than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I would have loved to see the rapid fire crossbow booby trap in an Indy film. The entire unearthing of the Dragon Emperor's tomb was quite thrilling!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Predator - Alan Silvestri

To quote Timmer... cool

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

Odd, Jordi, that you quote Night At The Opera as one of Arnold's most "original" pieces as the piece sounds like a mash of John Barry and Craig Armstrong to me. Still, I do agree with you that it's a fantastic track.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

To quote Timmer... cool

-Erik-

cool beer

NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - John Williams

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Michael Collins - Elliot Goldenthal

Probably my favorite Goldenthal score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

WHAT AN EXCELLENT IDEA! punk Going to play that now, too! Pff, the talks about him being overrated! wink punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

WHAT AN EXCELLENT IDEA! punk Going to play that now, too! Pff, the talks about him being overrated! wink punk

Who said Goldenthal was overrated?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

To quote Timmer... cool

-Erik-

cool beer

NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - John Williams

cool

NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL - John Williams

The weakest of the four scores but fooking eck it's still bloody good! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL - John Williams

The weakest of the four scores but fooking eck it's still bloody good! punk

The only Indy album where I skip tracks. Such a shame... but there are some excellent cues. "The Adventures of Mutt" is one hell of a stand alone concert work!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - Michael Collins

Spectacular choral work (you don't hear stuff like "Civil War" or the amazing finale "Funeral - Coda" any more), grand arrangements with bold themes (the tender melancholic piano waltz that first appears on "Train Station Farewell" and the bold main theme), properly crafted and carefully woven Irish music elements without overdoing it nor tiring the listener and an orchestral sound that is fuller than most stuff you'll hear around. Perfect.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

vomit

vomit

-Erik-

Call me crazy, but I thought that was excellent. Why the hell wasn't it like that in the movie?! rolleyes dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

vomit

vomit

-Erik-

Call me crazy, but I thought that was excellent. Why the hell wasn't it like that in the movie?! rolleyes dizzy

Ooooh... oooohh... excuse me! vomit

Iron Man was one of those rare films where I was hoping that the sound effects would drown out the music!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Iron Man, the score, is one of the most hideous and childish excuses for a score i've ever heard. Srsly But i think Anthony was expressing his preference for the concert arrangement.