• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    But i think Anthony was expressing his preference for the concert arrangement.

No matter how hard you try to polish it a turd is still a turd.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    But i think Anthony was expressing his preference for the concert arrangement.

No matter how hard you try to polish it a turd is still a turd.

-Erik-

I'll agree with you there wink I thought that the concert arrangements was an extension of the same pile of doo-doo.

GEOF ZANELLI - Outlander

The BlackHawk Down rips in trakcs like "Gunnar's Raid" made me LOL biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    GEOF ZANELLI - Outlander

The BlackHawk Down rips in trakcs like "Gunnar's Raid" made me LOL biggrin

The reasons for not listening to Black Hawk Down just get longer and longer! wink

As you may recall, I've never been able to understand why Black Hawk Down is repeatedly cited as being one of Zimmer's best.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, BHD is far better than this. Have you watched the movie btw, BHD?

This here, Outlander, sounds a like an Atli Orvarson's BABYLON A.D. / Zimmer's King Arthur ("Gods Be With You" also made me LOL wink ) & BlackHawk Down wannabe. It's not bad - if you exclude the horrendous amounts of chaotic reverb and bass with the added electronics and all, but it's not good either. How many scores like that are out there actually? Has anyone counted them? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Black Hawk Down is one of the rare Zimmer scores where there seems to have been a real thought process put into its creation. I hated the film, but the score is excellent.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Black Hawk Down is one of the rare Zimmer scores where there seems to have been a real thought process put into its creation. I hated the film, but the score is excellent.

I liked the film, made me wanna holiday in Somalia.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within - Elliot Goldenthal

This score never fails to wow.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Michael Collins - Elliot Goldenthal

Probably my favorite Goldenthal score.

-Erik-

WHAT AN EXCELLENT IDEA! punk Going to play that now, too! Pff, the talks about him being overrated! wink punk

Who said Goldenthal was overrated?

Marselus. I say we burn him on the stake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

WHAT AN EXCELLENT IDEA! punk Going to play that now, too! Pff, the talks about him being overrated! wink punk

No, Tim wouldn´t do that....I´m his bhangra partner!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

He's my bhangra buddy so no burning him.

Perhaps a sentence of a few hours worth of Rza & Tyler Bates until his only salvation is Goldenthal? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

He's my bhangra buddy so no burning him.

Perhaps a sentence of a few hours worth of Rza & Tyler Bates until his only salvation is Goldenthal? wink

RZA.....Tyler Bates.....Steven, burn me on the stake. NOW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

I want to ask you something, James...

Yesterday I was listening Star Trek IV and I thought : why Southall blames Zimmer for make Da Vinci code a more stupid film with his music? and Not Goldsmith scoring a so embrassing moment like "an angry God" ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Yesterday I was listening Star Trek IV and I thought : why Southall blames Zimmer for make Da Vinci code a more stupid film with his music? and Not Goldsmith scoring a so embrassing moment like "an angry God" ?

Goldsmith had a knack of making mediocre films better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

This is not a valid argumen for my question dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Lovely country indeed.

Off to some casual drink, but before I played some tracks of The Darjeeling Limited. Hilariously cool and catchy! Idnian music (Bollywood?) is awesome! (songs mixed with score, with some odd twinklings here and there). Basically, its score comes from the movie The Householder (some Indian composer wrote it). Amusing, since it really brings back that odd atmosphere from the film!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Goldsmith made a mediocre film better - Zimmer made one worse. It's all to do with talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Loved both the film, and score. Top Zimmer work. Versatile and inspired, uniquely influential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote

Listen, think of a beautiful woman who doesn't need anything more than her gorgeous charm in order to captivate you with her presence.

Now think of a not great, decent chick with Insanely large doses of make up that looks great on the outside but leaves you running for the exit next morning when you see her plain. That's an RC score.

Classic! I don't think ANY comment on ANY film score forum can better this! punk

http://i9.tinypic.com/6ss24qe.gif
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Goldsmith made a mediocre film better - Zimmer made one worse. It's all to do with talent.

Oh, this's argument is much better rolleyes ok! Southall dixit tongue

NP:Mr Baseball (Goldsmith)

Yes, yes...it's true! biggrin

Now seriously...

NP:Ghost and the Darkness

That's more like it. That is more what Southall meant.

I love this score! I love the total recall rythms mixed with african vocals, it's a very dramatic use wich makes this score much more original than other African inspired scores.

beer beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Oh, this's argument is much better rolleyes ok! Southall dixit tongue

beer

All film composers sometimes have to work on films that are not very good. You either write what you know will make it better, through trying to give the film what the rest of the filmmaking team singularly failed to do (ie Goldsmith) or you simply accentuate the ridiculousness of it all (ie Zimmer). You either know when to dial it up and when to dial it down (ie Goldsmith) or you treat every single frame of the shite film as if it's a piece of art worthy of hanging in the National Gallery next to Botticelli's Venus and Mars (ie Zimmer). You either know what you're doing (ie Goldsmith) or...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't entirely agree on the particulars, but that was very funny nevertheless biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2009
    Dragonball: Evolution Brian Tyler

Second listen. Nothing amazingly spectacular or original and I doubt I'll listen to it regularly after this initial first few listens phase, but hell I'm enjoying it now. Decent recording too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Second listen. Nothing amazingly spectacular or original and I doubt I'll listen to it regularly after this initial first few listens phase, but hell I'm enjoying it now. Decent recording too!

As always with Tyler smile Same here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm a little more forgiving with Tyler than some people on this forum are. See, I don't get my knickers all in a twist if I hear the same chords from another score, as blasphemous as that obviously is. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    christopher wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Spirited Away - Joe Hisaishi

One of his most orchestral works for Miyazaki, and much better than Howl (both score and film). Also here are many beautiful and memorable themes, as always. And his PIANO! smile

I liked Howl more (the film). As for the score, I don't have either one, but they kind of sounded similar while watching the films. All of his piano stuff sounds the same to me.

Some (many?) of Hisaishi's scores, especially piano pieces, sound similar. I agree. Some say that's lack of originality and others say it's his genius voice... Well, I'm one of the latter group. His melodies simply touch my heart. But I've been listening/playing/singing his music since I was four, so I'm totally brainwashed. biggrin

But some of his piano pieces, for example Madness ~ Flight or jazz piano from Porco Rosso, do not sound like Howl and Spirited Away. smile

NP: PIANO STORIES II THE WIND OF LIFE - Joe Hisaishi

Some pieces are from TV ads/programs, one is an arrangement of his film score, and others are original music.

It's called piano stories but in many tracks other instruments (strings, woodwinds, guitars) take main parts. I love the orchestration around Hisaishi's piano.

Asian Dream Song (Nagano Winter Paralympics theme) is a little disappointment. It's not as impressive as his later work Oriental Wind.

Rain Garden is somehow unpleasant... maybe intentional?

Other than that, all tracks are great! I especially love Sunday (relaxing guitar & piano), an acoustic version of Kids Return theme (really cool theme), and Highlander.

And on top of all... Les Aventuriers is awesome! Its style is similar to Madness, but has more variety. Its five-time measure (Is it a proper English translation of the music term?) is rocking! punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Quantum of Solace (Arnold)

I find this score pretty, pretty interesting.

the whole score has some king of dramatic sense all the time that really makes me be unconfortable (in a good sense of the word).

"perla de las lunas" with the electronic touch and the Barry homenages is irresistible.

And How I said hundreds of time "night of the opera" is one of the most original and one of the greatest pieces from Arnold ever! Anyone with me?

Odd, Jordi, that you quote Night At The Opera as one of Arnold's most "original" pieces as the piece sounds like a mash of John Barry and Craig Armstrong to me. Still, I do agree with you that it's a fantastic track.

havent answered why its so original Jordi?

NP : QUANTUM OF SOLACE - David Arnold

Damn food late night listen cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote

Yes I'm enjoying this score too.
    Perhaps the best new score I've heard this week. wink
    There's some catchy (though far from original) themes here.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Kung Fu Panda (Zimmer and Powel)

One of the most underrated ( yes, I said underrated ) scores in a long time.

Come on guys (reviewers) this is a increible score! It fits perfect in the movie, it incredibly entertaning outside the movie ( well devoloped and edited album )

THE CHINESE ORCHESTRATIONS AND THEMES ARE AWESOME!

i really can't understand how people can't be amazed with this score...it is beyond me tongue

I'm amazed by the score. I listen to it all the time. Definitely one of my favorites for 2008. A sequel is planned for 2011. I sure hope the same composers return... and Tai Lun since I love his theme. cheesy
    Miya wrote
    NP: Spirited Away - Joe Hisaishi

One of his most orchestral works for Miyazaki, and much better than Howl (both score and film). Also here are many beautiful and memorable themes, as always. And his PIANO! smile

I love both scores, but I don't know, I can't easily choose a favorite. Maybe Howl's Moving Castle since I've seen it more often? I think I'm slightly biased towards Howl's Moving Castle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I'm a little more forgiving with Tyler than some people on this forum are. See, I don't get my knickers all in a twist if I hear the same chords from another score, as blasphemous as that obviously is. shocked

I don't mind either. I enjoy Tyler's music a lot, but it doesn't last for long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Antony and Cleopatra (John Scott)

Can´t get enough of this great, great score. As someone would say, a rare beauty wink Too bad Scott never had the chance to score high profile films. Still, his music is fantastic, as is the man himself.