• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmmm...everybody's going gaga over that Joker theme.
    I should give it a shot, maybe.

Is that the Why So Serious? track?

Yes. There's also the film version on the second disc which I quite like.

It may not be to everyone's taste on CD, but it's brilliant film music in my not-so-humble opinion.

If you listen carefully to Tyler Bates' The Devil's Rejects (quite hard to do though), you'll notice it's not that far away from Joker's sound.

And I'm ready to bet that movie didn't ask for it the way TDK did. wink

Actually it did. If you think The Joker is a crazy character, you should meet "The Devil´s Rejects"ones. Great film, btw.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, ok. smile

I still say the Joker's music is spot-on for the film though. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    My 11 years old dog has died while in my home i was playing the last samurai.. sad
  1. Steven wrote
    Dead Space (game) Jason Graves

Only into the first couple of tracks so far, but this is sounds like a very good sci-fi/horror score!

rolleyes

BTW bought the game and I try to check how the 'music' functions in the game. It should disappear nicely into the background while slaying monstrosities I hope.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

Only into the first couple of tracks so far, but this is sounds like a very good sci-fi/horror score!

rolleyes

BTW bought the game and I try to check how the 'music' functions in the game. It should disappear nicely into the background while slaying monstrosities I hope.

You should understand that the reason you clearly don't like this kind of music is the reason I do. It's more about the raw feeling it creates than trying to listen to any melodies. This is why I love all sorts of music, because it suits all kinds of needs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    My 11 years old dog has died while in my home i was playing the last samurai.. sad

I'm really sorry Jordi! That feels terrible shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh crap.
    Sorry to hear that, Jordi. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - Jesper Kyd

One of the best game scores ever. 47 Makes A Decision gives me chills everytime I listen to it, so powerful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009 edited
    First of all, R.I.P. Canine of Nautilus. Feel bad for you. Always tough when man's best friend leaves us.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

rolleyes

You should understand that the reason you clearly don't like this kind of music is the reason I do. It's more about the raw feeling it creates than trying to listen to any melodies. This is why I love all sorts of music, because it suits all kinds of needs!

Fair enough, but to call it music is just WRONG... There's maybe one track with a slight hint of a theme that I don't think reappears anywhere else. It's with the rest I have a problem, it justs doesn't do anything to me musically. I'll shut up about it now... Seems I made my point clear that this will never get into my personal playlist.

But that doesn't mean that as a collection of ambient background tracks it doesn't have its function within the game.

NP: Les Misérables complete (Basil Poledouris)

Oddly enough there was a time I gave this a meagre 3 stars out of five, I just couldn't get into this darker Poledouris, I preferred his big thematic scores, now I see its beauty and its power so I'll add one star to it, that's totally justified I think after all this time. Playing it like a set of separate tracks, unlike the official album, helps a lot to enjoy it more. Was it you Martijn that sent this to me? Anyway, thanks again.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Was it you Martijn that sent this to me? Anyway, thanks again.

Ahem.
    That would be illegal, wouldn't it?
    Would I do anything illegal?
    Would I?

Exactly.
    Thank you.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

Fair enough, but to call it music is just WRONG... There's maybe one track with a slight hint of a theme that I don't think reappears anywhere else. It's with the rest I have a problem, it justs doesn't do anything to me musically. I'll shut up about it now... Seems I made my point clear that this will never get into my personal playlist.

But it very much is music I'm afraid. It has clear rhythm, texture and tonality. It just happens to be particularly unpleasant to your ears. And strangely enough I too think it's unpleasant - but that's exactly why I like it. Music is so much more to me than sounding 'pretty', I like being challenged as a listener. I like listening to 'unpleasant' music like this because it evokes a certain feeling - and that is after all the main reason I love film [and game] music. The feelings it can evoke. Shame you feel so opposed to anything that doesn't sound 'pleasing'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    NO THANK YOU !!!! (to Martijn's post)

wink
  2. Steven wrote
    Shame you feel so opposed to anything that doesn't sound 'pleasing'.

I call it being stuck in one's own ideas for too long, that new things are becoming too difficult to appreciate.
    I blame my brain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I find that rather unfortunate. sad There's so much to enjoy in so many types of music. It's a language after all and there's much to be said! wink
  3. We'll see how you react in 10-15 years time to the music coming out in that time...

Even more electronics and ambience than now? crazy vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not that keen on electronic ambient scores because they're usually very boring musically. But that doesn't mean I dislike all electronic ambient scores. But then that's not really my point here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Alexandra - Andrey Sigle

This is gorgeous!

EDIT - Top 10 of the year candidate right here folks! Simplicity at it's finest!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

I'm really sorry to hear that Jordi. sad

11 is a good age for dogs, not that that will be much consolation.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DRAGON : THE BRUCE LEE STORY - Randy Edelman

Good stuff but it's a shame the fantastic 'Dragon' theme doesn't appear more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    From now on I'm copying all of Jordi's NP posts and pasting them HERE!

biggrin

-Erik-

I just did it. This is awesome! biggrin biggrin

Jordi has a voice!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LOST - Michael Giacchino

Excellent scoring for mediochre over hyped TV series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

biggrin

Waiting for the HATE to burst loose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wonder who will be the first to bite?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My money's on Anthony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Okay, I'll take Jordi. How much, £10? Or perhaps dinner and a movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well alright. But it's only fair you should know I don't put out on a first date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Duplicity - James Newton Howard

sad

More synth-o-rama. Some tracks have a bit of staccato strings but that's hardly enough. I'm halfwaay though and so far it's not impressed me. Perhaps this is what the film requires but it's not a very good listening experience on CD. I'm waiting for when JNH will deliver a nice orchestral score again... maybe in Last Airbender?

There aren't that much synth in the score. And the track "The Formula" is a really good one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Okay, I'll take Jordi. How much, £10? Or perhaps dinner and a movie?

Minus my cut of 25% which buys me a beer.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LOST - Michael Giacchino

Totally agree with you.

Now death to you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    My money's on Anthony.

Give d' man is money Steven angry