• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    GODDAMMIT ANTHONY. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    :winner: biggrin :top hat: biggrin champagne biggrin :dollar signs: biggrin :loose women: biggrin :copacabana: biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    GODDAMMIT ANTHONY. crazy

TIM-MAD-DOG wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Alexandra - Andrey Sigle

This is gorgeous!

EDIT - Top 10 of the year candidate right here folks! Simplicity at it's finest!

-Erik-

I would never have guessed when I saw this film in a sparely-attended session at the Sydney Film Festival last year that I'd see a post like this a year later. So glad. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

This is gorgeous!

EDIT - Top 10 of the year candidate right here folks! Simplicity at it's finest!

-Erik-

I would never have guessed when I saw this film in a sparely-attended session at the Sydney Film Festival last year that I'd see a post like this a year later. So glad. smile

Dammit... so the film WASN'T released this year? I should have read the PR. Dammit! Anyway, a fine release from MovieScore Media! Bravo!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

This is gorgeous!

-Erik-

Dammit... so the film WASN'T released this year? I should have read the PR. Dammit! Anyway, a fine release from MovieScore Media! Bravo!

-Erik-

The film played at Cannes in May 2007! I was annoyed when I couldn't even fairly call it one of the best films of 2008 (when I saw it!).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lp wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Duplicity - James Newton Howard

sad

More synth-o-rama. Some tracks have a bit of staccato strings but that's hardly enough. I'm halfwaay though and so far it's not impressed me. Perhaps this is what the film requires but it's not a very good listening experience on CD. I'm waiting for when JNH will deliver a nice orchestral score again... maybe in Last Airbender?

There aren't that much synth in the score. And the track "The Formula" is a really good one.

Yeah, but it still sounded sampled to me. Maybe it'll grow on me after another listen wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Speed Racer - Michael Giacchino

Really, really fun! One of the best scores of last year IMO. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    lp wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Duplicity - James Newton Howard

sad

More synth-o-rama. Some tracks have a bit of staccato strings but that's hardly enough. I'm halfwaay though and so far it's not impressed me. Perhaps this is what the film requires but it's not a very good listening experience on CD. I'm waiting for when JNH will deliver a nice orchestral score again... maybe in Last Airbender?

There aren't that much synth in the score. And the track "The Formula" is a really good one.

Yeah, but it still sounded sampled to me. Maybe it'll grow on me after another listen wink

I actually rather like the score. It so desperately wants to be like John Powell, I don't know why the filmmakers didn't just hire John Powell (who is presumably cheaper, and certainly more proficient at sounding like John Powell) but I enjoy it anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'll give it more listens and watch the film too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Medal Of Honor - European Assault - Christopher Lennertz

I find Lennertz' MoH scores as good as Giacchino's. Superb action material and the emotional cues are great too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Balto James Horner

Aaaaahhhh. A musical release! cool (So much work to do... slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Balto James Horner

I love this one! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Medal Of Honor - European Assault - Christopher Lennertz

I find Lennertz' MoH scores as good as Giacchino's. Superb action material and the emotional cues are great too!

I wouldn´t say as good but ALMOST as good. I agree with you though, great action material and superb themes.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote
    Balto James Horner

I love this one! punk

POSSIBLY MAYBE my favourite Horner score. But then he did also composer Star Trek II, Braveheart, Legends of the Fall, The Mask of Zorro, Glory, Apollo XII and The Perfect Storm. So who knows? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Titanic remains my favourite Horner score of all time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah yes, I forgot about that one. Add that to the list too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: GUN - Christopher Lennertz

One of my very favourite video game scores. Just excellent.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009 edited
    NP: Born Free - John Barry

For some reason when I woke up this morning I started humming Barry's brilliant main theme! So, I just had to put this one on. I have both the OST (FSM) and the re-recording (Varese). I decided on the OST because I love the original vocal by Matt Munro which isn't on the re-recording.

A well deserved double Oscar win for Barry.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Complete) - Alan Silvestri

Has some really great material here!
  3. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Patrick Doyle)

Love this ever since I saw the film. Rarely has a horror film been scored in such a romantic and powerfully tragic way. Not only are the action / suspense cues full of unrelenting energy, the score features one of the most beautiful love themes ever written for film. Doyle really hit a homerun with this. I don't think his more recent output can touch his early wondrous works such as this one (and Henry V and A Little Princess).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Born Free - John Barry

For some reason when I woke up this morning I started humming Barry's brilliant main theme! So, I just had to put this one on. I have both the OST (FSM) and the re-recording (Varese). I decided on the OST because I love the original vocal by Matt Munro which isn't on the re-recording.

A well deserved double Oscar win for Barry.

-Erik-

love

NP : THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - John Powell

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MAGIC - Jerry Goldsmith

The title pretty much sums up the mans music really cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Outlander - Geoff Zanelli

As a listening experience, this isn't completely awful, but why they bothered hiring an orchestra only to totally bury it beneath cheap synths playing the same melodies at the same time is a great mystery to me.

And I have to say... when I read the liner notes and saw that this music was written for a Viking epic... well, I almost fell off my chair with laughter. I've gone past the point of being annoyed about what Remote Control has done to film music; laughing is the only way out!
  4. NP: The Deep --- John Barry

Sinister, takeable and eerie, but it doesn't hang in my minds, pity considering it is one of Barry's more unique entries I've heard in a long time

Nice theme though
    duh shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Southall wrote
    Outlander - Geoff Zanelli

As a listening experience, this isn't completely awful, but why they bothered hiring an orchestra only to totally bury it beneath cheap synths playing the same melodies at the same time is a great mystery to me.

And I have to say... when I read the liner notes and saw that this music was written for a Viking epic... well, I almost fell off my chair with laughter. I've gone past the point of being annoyed about what Remote Control has done to film music; laughing is the only way out!

it is not afwul no, but it bored the hell out of me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Deep --- John Barry

Sinister, takeable and eerie, but it doesn't hang in my minds, pity considering it is one of Barry's more unique entries I've heard in a long time

Nice theme though
    duh shocked

Love that score, quite atonal in places and yes....great theme.

Love for this to get an official CD complete CD release.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Nice theme though
    duh shocked

it doesn't hand due to the atonal sinister stuff, but it's interesting considering it is Barry doing something else, more Bond at times
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Nice theme though
    duh shocked

it doesn't hand due to the atonal sinister stuff, but it's interesting considering it is Barry doing something else, more Bond at times

"it doesn't hand due to the atonal sinister stuff"? Either my heads really fecked ( which it IS ) or this is a lost in translation moment!? wink
  7. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Nice theme though
    duh shocked

"it doesn't hand due to the atonal sinister stuff"? Either my heads really fecked ( which it IS ) or this is a lost in translation moment!? wink

that must be hang, it doesn't hang (sticks in my mind), sorry tongue