• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE ALAMO - Dimitri Tiomkin

This is the Silva recorded suite and very good it is too cool

Tim, is it a suite included in this set?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 … p;sr=102-8
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. DemonStar wrote
    Saw the latest trailer of the new upcoming HP movie yesterday. The music was standard trailer stuff but the end contained a new brassy statement of Hedwig's theme I liked. Perhaps Hooper's stuff in this one is better after all tongue

But I seriously want JW back for the final movie. If not JW, then JNH!

I didn't like the trailer music at all, I think it is from Two Steps from Hell, they really tried to force the theme in there
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone John Williams

Listening to this one again after such a long time, I'm now not sure which is my favourite Potter score. Overall this has probably got more of that old school Williams magic than any of the other scores, but then again the third score has some amazing new themes!? Ah well, who cares. They're all awesome.

It's my LEAST favorite Williams Potter score. And my God did Williams over score this picture.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone John Williams

Listening to this one again after such a long time, I'm now not sure which is my favourite Potter score. Overall this has probably got more of that old school Williams magic than any of the other scores, but then again the third score has some amazing new themes!? Ah well, who cares. They're all awesome.

It's my LEAST favorite Williams Potter score. And my God did Williams over score this picture.

-Erik-

Agreed on both counts. Sitting in the cinema, I was really irritated by the overbearing music. Prefer it on CD, but I still rank it behind his other two. (But well ahead of the other composers'.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well... um... you're both wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009 edited
    Re: The Missing

franz_conrad wrote
    I love the album myself.

I have to be in just the right mood for it. Of all Horner's super-long albums, it's the one which would most benefit from pruning in my eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

When Erik and myself agree on something, it's a really special day. You, sir, are wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NIGHTWING - Henry Mancini

I just had to play it again cool

Where's my bloody CDs!? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

When Erik and myself agree on something, it's a really special day. You, sir, are wrong.

But how can my opinion be wrong? Sorry, this is beyond me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE ALAMO - Dimitri Tiomkin

This is the Silva recorded suite and very good it is too cool

Tim, is it a suite included in this set?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 … p;sr=102-8

That's the one Alan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

But how can my opinion be wrong? Sorry, this is beyond me.

EVERYONE is beyond you tongue biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009 edited
    That's because.... you know... I'm so far ahead I'm actually behind.. time and matter... and sub-space.... shut up. slant
  3. Batman Returns - Danny Elfman

This album is okay, IMO. I always enjoy the Batman theme whenever it pops up, but that's not very often, and there are only a couple time when it's really let loose. This is far less enjoyable for me than the other Elfman CD I just got, Sommersby. That's excellent stuff. This one is not bad, it's just not that good either (IMO, IMO, IMO for all you elfmaniacs out there).
  4. Southall wrote
    Re: The Missing

franz_conrad wrote
    I love the album myself.

I have to be in just the right mood for it. Of all Horner's super-long albums, it's the one which would most benefit from pruning in my eyes.

Maybe I should have said I love the music. You could lose about 15 minutes easily from the album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. NP: Meet Joe Black (Thomas Newman)

Haven't played this in years. Wonderful.

BUT... not having played it in years, there was no way I would have noticed the obvious temp track lift before. 'Yes' and 'Question' were clearly written to fill the void left by a version of Arvo Part's much-temped 'Fratres'. (Probably 'Fratres for woodwinds' or 'Fratres for Eight Cellos'.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009
    NP: A History Of Scotland - Paul Leonard-Morgan

Just began my first listen and so far it's wonderful stuff. There's some lovely string writing in the opening cues. Really enjoying it!

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Batman Returns - Danny Elfman

This album is okay, IMO. I always enjoy the Batman theme whenever it pops up, but that's not very often, and there are only a couple time when it's really let loose. This is far less enjoyable for me than the other Elfman CD I just got, Sommersby. That's excellent stuff. This one is not bad, it's just not that good either (IMO, IMO, IMO for all you elfmaniacs out there).

You aren't alone Christopher.

I can take or leave Elfman's Batman scores, I just don't care for that style of his music ( I believe I'm in the minority here ), SOMMERSBY on the other hand is brilliant and is one of my favourite scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Batman Returns - Danny Elfman

You aren't alone Christopher.

I can take or leave Elfman's Batman scores, I just don't care for that style of his music ( I believe I'm in the minority here ), SOMMERSBY on the other hand is brilliant and is one of my favourite scores.

I like Elfman's Batman scores (especially the first one). But I prefer Shirley Walker's take on it.
    Both for The Animated Series and Mask Of The Phantasm.
    In fact I think Phantasm is a huge and wonderful piece of work!
    I'm quite surprised there aren't more comments from people praising this score here!
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Meet Joe Black (Thomas Newman)

BUT... not having played it in years, there was no way I would have noticed the obvious temp track lift before. 'Yes' and 'Question' were clearly written to fill the void left by a version of Arvo Part's much-temped 'Fratres'. (Probably 'Fratres for woodwinds' or 'Fratres for Eight Cellos'.)

I love that score. On my list of favorites it is currently #12. I was just reading Southall's review for Snow Falling on Cedars. He said that score was also clearly influenced by Avro Part. Who is this guy? I'd never heard of him before, but if his music is like tracks you mentioned I guess I need to check it out!

NP - Silva's Goldsmith compilation (TV themes medley). This is good music...especially for TV...especially for the 60s...especially for TV in the 60s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    LSH wrote

Just began my first listen and so far it's wonderful stuff. There's some lovely string writing in the opening cues. Really enjoying it!

cool

punk Forgot about this one. I remember liking it when it played on SST. I'll have to pick this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Lately I don't have enough time to explore new scores I haven't heard. So I mostly play my "old friend" scores... my absolute favorites. So this is one of them...

NP: Driving Miss Daisy live recording (from The Wings Of A Film) - Hans Zimmer

I bought this album about 4 years ago. I just wanted to get the Lion King tracks (for the collector's sake wink), and wanted to know what this Zimmer guy had written other than his animated works.

And then... wow! I completely fell in love with this track. What a catchy, happy tune! Anytime I feel sad, or just tired, or depressed, this music always make me smile. Throughout the 4 years as an undergraduate student in Tokyo, away from home, this Zimmer score has been playing an important role in my life.

...sorry, I'm a bit too sentimental today! biggrin Anyway, I love this music, so much fun to listen! smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Lately I don't have enough time to explore new scores I haven't heard. So I mostly play my "old friend" scores... my absolute favorites. So this is one of them...

NP: Driving Miss Daisy live recording (from The Wings Of A Film) - Hans Zimmer

I bought this album about 4 years ago. I just wanted to get the Lion King tracks (for the collector's sake wink), and wanted to know what this Zimmer guy had written other than his animated works.

And then... wow! I completely fell in love with this track. What a catchy, happy tune! Anytime I feel sad, or just tired, or depressed, this music always make me smile. Throughout the 4 years as an undergraduate student in Tokyo, away from home, this Zimmer score has been playing an important role in my life.

...sorry, I'm a bit too sentimental today! biggrin Anyway, I love this music, so much fun to listen! smile

I love it, too! smile

NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

Leave No Man Behind from this is an absolute favourite of mine.
  7. christopher wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Meet Joe Black (Thomas Newman)

I love that score. On my list of favorites it is currently #12. I was just reading Southall's review for Snow Falling on Cedars. He said that score was also clearly influenced by Avro Part. Who is this guy? I'd never heard of him before, but if his music is like tracks you mentioned I guess I need to check it out!

Arvo. wink

Yes, 'Evacuation' from SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is also based on 'Fratres', although in that case, it's 'Fratres for strings and percussion'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arvo_Pärt
    This is a video set to 'Fratres for cello and piano', the version of the piece which appeared in THERE WILL BE BLOOD.
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?cli … ;ct=title#
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: LOST VIA DOMUS - Michael Giacchino

A testament to his skill as Giacchino manages to channel the show without using a single theme from it. If you know the show's score well this is quite a good laugh as you can tell what each piece is trying to be. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009 edited
    The Twins Effect II (Tommy Wei)

Who knows this one huh? It came with the score to the first movie and I could've done without it. Because the first one has its moments of gothic splendour and choral beauty, its vastly superior to this one. There's an addictive, but simplistic main theme and here and there a playful secondary theme pops up. That's the good side, the bad side is: the recording is horrible and the orchestra not much better, with too much reverb and flat sounding action / heroic cues. When the choir sets in it's even worse. If they had used the LSO for this this could've turned out rather decent.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. BhelPuri wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

punk Forgot about this one. I remember liking it when it played on SST. I'll have to pick this one.

Glad to hear someone else - at last! - saying some positive things about this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: PoTC: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

I heard Dinner Is Served play on a TV show and felt the urge to listen to this! biggrin

The action stuff is no doubt the best material on the CD, sadly there's a lot of fun stuff unreleasd.
  9. Christopher Young - The Uninvited

Listening to it while reading a Stephen King novel. Quite cool. The theme is great.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

Glad to hear someone else - at last! - saying some positive things about this one.

I wanted to hear this ever since you first announced it so it's purely your recommendation. Thanks Alan. Thalan.

smile
  10. Had to listen to something brilliant to counteract the dreadfulness of my previous listening.

The Secret of NIMH (Jerry The Master)

Finally bought this a little more expensive than usual after having a CDR of it lying around for many years. I'm glad I did because it's worth every penny. I am now enjoying it more than ever before. Or how good music can just get better with time, Jerry made sure his scores would last for decades, if not centuries. This features all the usual tricks from that fantastic period when everything Goldsmith touched turned into gold. First class themes, brutal brass performances, powerful choir and goosebump moments from start to finish.

I'M HAPPY. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.