• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Batman Returns - Danny Elfman

This album is okay, IMO. I always enjoy the Batman theme whenever it pops up, but that's not very often, and there are only a couple time when it's really let loose. This is far less enjoyable for me than the other Elfman CD I just got, Sommersby. That's excellent stuff. This one is not bad, it's just not that good either (IMO, IMO, IMO for all you elfmaniacs out there).

You aren't alone Christopher.

I can take or leave Elfman's Batman scores, I just don't care for that style of his music ( I believe I'm in the minority here ), SOMMERSBY on the other hand is brilliant and is one of my favourite scores.

IMHO, Batman Returns is right up there with the original. It's one of those rare scores that I would love to hear from beginning to end preformed live by a symphony orchestra. It's a score brimming with themes that flow effortlessly from one to another. It's one of Elfman's very best works!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

Gorgeous score with subtle touches of ethnic instruments that's definitely more John Barry than Hans Zimmer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Why would Poledouris be Hans Zimmer?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Why would Poledouris be Hans Zimmer?

He's not. I meant that his etchnic approach ( and themes too actually ) was more like Barry's than Zimmer's, more subtle.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Band Of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation guys! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE RUSSIA HOUSE - Jerry Goldsmith

This lovely jazz tinged score is something I would normally play in the evening / night but then, there's no law says I can't play it loud on a lovely sunny afternoon cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote

This lovely jazz tinged score is something I would normally play in the evening / night but then, there's no law says I can't play it loud on a lovely sunny afternoon cool

There is. It's called Steven's Law.
    Deal with it.
  2. lol

It's an amazing score indeed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

There is. It's called Steven's Law.
    Deal with it.

I always thought that it was fine to play loud music on a Sunday under Steven's Law especially if one were playing Goldsmith!??

YOUR a right killjoy aintcha slant
    ^
    tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009
    Timmer wrote

I consider myself a Goldsmith nut. But I've never really gotten into this score.
    I'm not big on jazz tinged music.
    Maybe I need to mature my musical palette.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

He's not. I meant that his etchnic approach ( and themes too actually ) was more like Barry's than Zimmer's, more subtle.

I love when Zimmer goes non subtle punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I'd say that's a foregone requirement for any Zimmer fan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DRACULA - John Williams

Great old fashioned style romantic horror score cool
  3. Listened to most of "The Sandlot" bootleg (35 tracks). Found it's not only not the complete score, but it's also missing cues from the Varese Club fucked-up release. It almost seems like two different scores. I wouldn't be surprised if Newman was asked to re-write some of his score.

Anyway, it's not as good as I remembered. :-(
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NIGHTWING - Henry Mancini

I just had to play it again cool

Where's my bloody CDs!? confused

My haul of Varese Club CDs arrived from SAE this morning!

Lure of The Wilderness - Franz Waxman
    Hanover Street - John Barry
    Nightwing - Henry Mancini
    tongue
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    IMHO, Batman Returns is right up there with the original. It's one of those rare scores that I would love to hear from beginning to end preformed live by a symphony orchestra. It's a score brimming with themes that flow effortlessly from one to another. It's one of Elfman's very best works!

-Erik-

Completely agree.
    It's one of those scores that plays almost like an opera, with such a clear progression of story and sound that one track really can't do without the other.

I never realize dit but this score never features in any of my home-brewn compilations: it's indeed all or nothing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

I consider myself a Goldsmith nut. But I've never really gotten into this score.
    I'm not big on jazz tinged music.
    Maybe I need to mature my musical palette.

Me neither. It's a score I had no desire to hear again because of the jazz, and I'm just as big a nut as you claim to be...

You can't please all people all the time.

NP: Star Wars / Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Charles Gerhardt & National Philharmonic)

First listen ever. I've heard many varying performances of Star Wars Main Theme before, but not like this where the most important cues of the first score are played out by a different orchestra & conductor. I like it a lot, even though the tempo is slower than the regular version, which takes some getting used to. At least the tremendous energy of the original is present, so the music presented here is every bit as awesome.

Also included is a 21 minute suite from the finale music from CE3K (that other timeless Williams classic and a top three favourite of mine), which isn't always faithful, so I think a little of the emotion and power is lost in the translation. It's still brilliant to hear this wonderful music played out by such a fine orchestra, but I prefer the original recording.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009 edited
    I was playing Timeline (Goldsmith)

if only he didn't used this synth motif so much....

anyway, the 11 minuts final action track is pure Goldsmith. with the life and synthetic percusion.
    punk

NP:the 13th warrior (goldsmith)

Goldsmith's King Artur cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Isn't First Knight Goldsmith's King Arthur?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Isn't First Knight Goldsmith's King Arthur?

You know it biggrin cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The River Wild - Goldsmith

After watching the Goldsmith doco which features the recording of this score I had to dig it out and have a listen again. There are some very nice moments to be heard here.

Love Goldsmith!
    Can't wait for the expanded Twilight Zone: The Movie score to arrive! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I'd say that's a foregone requirement for any Zimmer fan.

But I also love when he goes subtle love

NP: Spanglish - Hans Zimmer

I already talked about this score a lot here, but am I allowed to say again? wink Themes and arrangements are so beautiful and emotional. Every cue captured subtle emotions of the characters... I love the way how music works in this film.

Another thing I really like about this score is its lively performances. Heitor Pereira's guitar is like speaking. The violin & cellos by Toriology (hope I spelled their name correctly) are also energetic and beautiful. Even Zimmer's (supposedly) piano plays an important role in many emotional scenes.

As described in the director's liner notes, when I listen to this score I can see those people playing around their instruments, discussing, chatting, laughing and drinking wines! beer
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    NP: The River Wild - Goldsmith

After watching the Goldsmith doco which features the recording of this score I had to dig it out and have a listen again. There are some very nice moments to be heard here.

Love Goldsmith!
    Can't wait for the expanded Twilight Zone: The Movie score to arrive! lick

You n' me both beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Also included is a 21 minute suite from the finale music from CE3K (that other timeless Williams classic and a top three favourite of mine), which isn't always faithful, so I think a little of the emotion and power is lost in the translation. It's still brilliant to hear this wonderful music played out by such a fine orchestra, but I prefer the original recording.

Think the piece is flawless. There is more emotion and power in this recording then the original soundtrack recording. IMHO, it is the single greatest re-recording of all time! Gerhardt and the NPO nailed it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Hotel for Dogs (John Debney) - In the film

Charming, beautiful work from Debney for the typical feel good american movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  6. Humanoids From The Deep (James Horner)

Being one of Horner's first everyone needs to start somewhere. So it isn't as good as Battle Beyond the Stars, but it sure shows the foundations we would later get in his superior work during the eighties. That's about all I can say really, as I find it really hard to enjoy it. The upside is it's very short.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

My favourite score to play before going to bed.
  7. NP: Dedicated to the Aegean Sea --- (Ennio Morricone)

Typical charming stuff by the maestro, orgasm vocals, soft melodies, lots of lala vocals, it works
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

My favourite score to play before going to bed.

Yeah...Specially the string crescendo in the first track tongue moon

NP:The Last Samurai (Zimmer)

"To Know my enemy" is my favourite track. I must be the only one in the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Black Rain Bootleg (Zimmer)

A really good ,yes I said good, score.

Coherent in orchesrtations and themes. And deliciously oriental flavour.

A great, great influence for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight scores.