• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star Trek What of Khan (Horner)

Aliens was a less thematic version of this score tongue

This score is impressive, but more impressive is watch the movie and see how fits with the battleship scenes!!!

PS:Today in Catalonia (spain) is the day of Saint Jordi. Men gives roses to Women,and Women gives books to Men. It's a kind of festivity day.

Does anyone give me Angels and Demons or Star trek in honor oh my name???

You mean Star Trek - What of Khan?

It's St. George's day here, that famous saint of Portugal and Austria wink

So....

NP : WHERE EAGLES DARE - Ron Goodwin

Truly muscular film music cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. keky wrote
    Played:

Mission to Mars - Ennio Morricone
    I'm one of the few who actually loves this score. OK, I haven't seen the movie so I don't know whether the music fits it or not but it is definitely great on CD.

Oh I'm an admirer too. I put this on whenever I'm in the mood for such a strange but wondrous soundscape. The track 'Where' is just brilliant in its build-up.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: SEASON 1 -- Bear McCreary

Considering I've finally seen Season One completely, it is time to get the feeling back through the music, the ending I'm particulary looking forward at

Well you won't have any downtime in between Season 1 and 2, that's for sure. Enjoy the rest of the show brudda...

NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Hans Zimmer)

This score start and ends on a high note, a VERY enjoyable score from Hans. It's the only one in the Pirates series I actually like listening to outside of the movie, but that could be due to the fact I don't own the other two... and I don't need to.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I hope complete boots of the PoTC scores appear someday. They may not be the best by Hans and co. but the action stuff is real fun and entertaining! Not to mention a LOT is missing on the OSTs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009 edited
    keky wrote
    Played:

Mission to Mars - Ennio Morricone
    I'm one of the few who actually loves this score. OK, I haven't seen the movie so I don't know whether the music fits it or not but it is definitely great on CD.

punk One of my most played Ennio scores! The movie's chock full of inanities but I still like it. Yep, I'm a De Palma fan too.

Listened to last night...

Marco Frisina - Puccini
    From the Italian school of passion and romanticism comes this melodic stunner by Marco Frisina. There are lush, gorgeous themes for romance, grand themes for the period and subject, and playful ones for polkas and dances. This is perhaps my most played and favorite score of 2009 to date.
    I don't think there are much fans of Italian TV scores here (non-Morricone) but you folks should check this out if you get a chance. SAE has some clips here.
    Keky, you will like it! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What is this? A movie about Puccini?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    What is this? A movie about Puccini?

Yep, a biopic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You've seen it? sounds very interesting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    No man. It's almost impossible to see those Italian TV flicks unless you're in Italy, I guess. Even if the DVDs are released they're not subtitled in English or are unplayable in the US. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    BhelPuri wrote

Marco Frisina - Puccini
    From the Italian school of passion and romanticism comes this melodic stunner by Marco Frisina. There are lush, gorgeous themes for romance, grand themes for the period and subject, and playful ones for polkas and dances. This is perhaps my most played and favorite score of 2009 to date.
    I don't think there are much fans of Italian TV scores here (non-Morricone) but you folks should check this out if you get a chance. SAE has some clips here.
    Keky, you will like it! wave

It's on my wishlist so hopefully I'll be able to comment on this too in the near future smile
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: SEASON 1 -- Bear McCreary

Considering I've finally seen Season One completely, it is time to get the feeling back through the music, the ending I'm particulary looking forward at

I must say, The Shape of Things to Come is an absolute stunner, what a way to nearly end the series with wink

That ending of Battlestar is arghhhhhhhhh so unbelievably climatic, never saw it coming
    What a whopper shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    PS:Today in Catalonia (spain) is the day of Saint Jordi. Men gives roses to Women,and Women gives books to Men. It's a kind of festivity day.

Catalonia is not Spain!

But yes, it is St. Jordi today.

Catalona is Spain. Perhaps your feeling is not the same, but politicaly is spain.

Anyway, this kind of things make me angry. Because we have to destroy frontiers, not create them.

Screw you. Go and listen some Horner.

biggrin
    Come come. No fighting now, boys.
    Surely it should create a bond that you're all backward southern misfits together in dire need of northern guidance and aid. kiss
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: August Rush - Mark Mancina

My first time listening through a score I've been anxious to hear for quite some time. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

On which note...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ0oCmDXrVk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

On which note...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ0oCmDXrVk

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    NP: Peter Pan - James Newton Howard
    A great, fun and vibrant score!
    Jai ho! smile

wow..a filmscore girl....

From where are you, honey?

kiss

You're an idiot.

biggrin applause

Jordi, a quick profile check would also have shown you that Cailin is married.

Haha, just saw the posts where you were talking about me last month, lol. smile You guys are funny.

Anyway, just popped by to say The Land Before Time is a total gem. I'm listening to it now. But whenever it plays on my album shuffle, I get taken aback. It really is so lovely. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner

Interesting, from the discussion in the other thread about what a Star Trek score "should" sound like, that this one is completely different in every respect from Goldsmith's first one. Well, every respect apart from one - they're both brilliant. But it just goes to show, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
  4. NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Listening to "The Asteroid Field" at the moment - I haven't heard this in a long time but I'm immediately reminded now of sitting in front of the record player pouring over the LP cover and being swept away by this track in particular.

Those feelings don't happen much any more. sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Listening to "The Asteroid Field" at the moment - I haven't heard this in a long time but I'm immediately reminded now of sitting in front of the record player pouring over the LP cover and being swept away by this track in particular.

Indeed, it's very rare.
  5. Having all this music at our fingertips doesn't help. It's so easy to flit between tracks, even scores. Back when we had to change LPs around it would take so long to line the record up that you had to think carefully about whether you actually wanted to listen to the particular score you had chosen.

Flicking through your collection, carefully extracting the vinyl from the cover and sleeve, getting the player ready, lovingly wiping the surface of the record with whatever implement you had for the job (cloth or velvety cushion-thing) before you even got to the music...

Today it's just a case of selecting something from your player - and if it's not to your current taste it's just a case of clicking onto the next track.

Am I sounding like an old git?

NP: Hanover Street - John Barry

I hadn't heard this at all before hearing the recent Varese CD - and it's lovely.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Oh I do so know what you mean... there was a time when such tracks, or such scores for that matter were released on a monthly basis. Those times they are tucked away in our memories and will remain there forever. sad But they're such sweet memories...

And I would have loved to have discovered this on an LP back in 1980 instead of the 1997 special editions releases, which are unmistakably stellar in their recordings and completeness (1997 was the earliest I got any Star Wars scores in soundtrack form, regular or complete). To be that young and in complete awe of something when such music wasn't popular at all by the mainstream public, and without the accessibility of the WWW would have been a truly great experience. lick
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. NP: Naqoyqatsi (Philip Glass)

Perhaps the greatest Philip Glass film score? I have a sentimental attachment to Kundun, but this is probably the film where he has done the most to bring the images to life.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Having all this music at our fingertips doesn't help. It's so easy to flit between tracks, even scores. Back when we had to change LPs around it would take so long to line the record up that you had to think carefully about whether you actually wanted to listen to the particular score you had chosen.

Flicking through your collection, carefully extracting the vinyl from the cover and sleeve, getting the player ready, lovingly wiping the surface of the record with whatever implement you had for the job (cloth or velvety cushion-thing) before you even got to the music...

Today it's just a case of selecting something from your player - and if it's not to your current taste it's just a case of clicking onto the next track.

Oh absolutely. But I'm very much inclined to agree. Digital music (i.e. downloading), although its brought many advantages for music fans such as ourselves, has meant the 'magic' has been lost.

It's not necessarily a complaint on my part, I could never complain about having endless selections of music at my fingertips. But that doesn't mean I miss the 'magic'. (Which I used to get by buying CDs when I first started getting into film music and rarely downloaded anything.)
  8. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Having all this music at our fingertips doesn't help. It's so easy to flit between tracks, even scores. Back when we had to change LPs around it would take so long to line the record up that you had to think carefully about whether you actually wanted to listen to the particular score you had chosen.

Oh absolutely. But I'm very much inclined to agree. Digital music (i.e. downloading), although its brought many advantages for music fans such as ourselves, has meant the 'magic' has been lost.

It's not necessarily a complaint on my part, I could never complain about having endless selections of music at my fingertips. But that doesn't mean I miss the 'magic'. (Which I used to get by buying CDs when I first started getting into film music and rarely downloaded anything.)

Yeah, there's definitely something special about (I remember saving up my allowance) buying a shrink wrapped CD, like opening a delicate present. For the longest time (before digital downloading) I'd always seek out soundtracks at used CD stores, and the joy of finding one that I had been searching for, or a composer I adored, was priceless. I miss those days. smile Now most used CD stores seem to have gone out of business, because people download instead and no one is buying CDs anymore. sad There's something about having it in your hand, the colorful booklet, the directors/composers notes inside, the orchestra credits, that makes it that much more magical when experiencing the score. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I LOATHE download-only releases, especially iTunes. No matter what anyone says, the quality is horrid and it sounds even worse on a CD player. Lossless or perhaps 320 kbps download options are OK but even then nothing beats a real physical CD release. I'm OK with lossless releases though (especially for video game scores), that's fair enough. wink

I can't tell you how pissed I am they released Jeff Rona's great Olympics music as download only!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Batman, the new Silva compilation, which I really enjoy.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Airplane - Elmer Bernstein

Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up listening to bootlegs.
  9. DemonStar wrote
    I LOATHE download-only releases, especially iTunes. No matter what anyone says, the quality is horrid and it sounds even worse on a CD player. Lossless or perhaps 320 kbps download options are OK but even then nothing beats a real physical CD release. I'm OK with lossless releases though (especially for video game scores), that's fair enough. wink

I can't tell you how pissed I am they released Jeff Rona's great Olympics music as download only!

perhaps that's true, but think about it. How many scores would have been lost IF downloadable options weren't available?

For instance ROAR, it would have surfaced on a compilation (such as the amazing end credits of The Mummy Returns on the Fantasy Album of Silva Screen), but how long would it take to surface on it? We filmmusic fans haven't got patience you know wink

Think about it, I'm damn lucky we still have this option, because not everything is released. And this is an option so we can still hear it.

But you said it, nothing beats a CD smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Indeed. That's why I do embrace "Better Than Nothing" for most scores wink

I'm in the minority but I wish they allow a lossless download option alongside...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Naqoyqatsi (Philip Glass)

Perhaps the greatest Philip Glass film score?

That would be Koyaanisqatsi. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote

perhaps that's true, but think about it. How many scores would have been lost IF downloadable options weren't available?

For instance ROAR, it would have surfaced on a compilation (such as the amazing end credits of The Mummy Returns on the Fantasy Album of Silva Screen), but how long would it take to surface on it? We filmmusic fans haven't got patience you know wink

Think about it, I'm damn lucky we still have this option, because not everything is released. And this is an option so we can still hear it.

But you said it, nothing beats a CD smile

Forget about ROAR, which was a great exception. The average score that goes straight to and only into iTunes is usually better left unreleased.