• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote

Forget about ROAR, which was a great exception. The average score that goes straight to and only into iTunes is usually better left unreleased.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by Horner is also a great exception. I'm still angry it didn't get an official CD release. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Spee Racer (Giacchino)

You have to be in the right mood but...it's a kick ass!!!

"Casa Cristo" punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009 edited
    NP:Star Trek the Final Frontier

Kinglon's theme is for Goldsmith what Imperial March is for Williams (IMHO).

I play this score, because i think it's the closest thing (leaving Horner scores aside) to the anicipated Giacchino's one. It's acton packed and with the same lenght.

dammed! How I wait fo a&d and Star Trek!

PS:The 4 notes motif used later in Goldsmith posterior ST scores, (the barrie?) is associated to what?
  1. Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star Trek the Final Frontier

dammed! How I wait fo a&d and Star Trek!

PS:The 4 notes motif used later in Goldsmith posterior ST scores, (the barrie?) is associated to what?

I believe by the end of the series it became a theme for William Riker and Jean-Luc Picard's mostly unseen friendship.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Airplane - Elmer Bernstein

Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up listening to bootlegs.

biggrin

Very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - John Debney

I really enjoyed the first half of this movie. IMHO, it was far more inventive and fun than the 4th Indy movie. I also have to point out Debney's superb action set piece "Chariot Chase" which would have worked wonders for the Jungle Chase in Crystal Skull. Anyway, thank God Debney came along to replace Edelman's uninspired and dull action material. For so little time, Debney managed to give the score a much needed energy boost! Lots of fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLACK ROBE - Georges Delerue

Lovely, lovely score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

This score is on super steroids, FANTASTIC! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Valkyrie John Ottman

The choral theme absolutely floors me. This is by far the best piece of music I've heard from Ottman, and definitely one of my top tracks from last year. The rest of the score ain't bad either, some very good action pieces and tense thriller-type writing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HANOVER STREET - John Barry

Really good score, much better than I thought it would be ( due to not being impressed upon hearing it within the film many years ago ), I seriously underestimated it.

James, has your parcel turned up yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Really good score, much better than I thought it would be ( due to not being impressed upon hearing it within the film many years ago ), I seriously underestimated it.

Have a guess. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - John Debney
    -Erik-

Is there a separate release of the Debney score? Or did he do some of the tracks in the regular release?
  2. I think there's a promo.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Forget about ROAR, which was a great exception. The average score that goes straight to and only into iTunes is usually better left unreleased.

I think that that's bit unfair and maybe a bit narrow-minded.

The opportunity for composers to have their music being made available for people to listen to surely is a good thing? And it's for us to judge whether or not we like what we hear. If it doesn't sell then it's not too much of a bummer for the people who do the digital release. But hopefully they'll try again - and have more success.

I'm finding myself more and more now searching through places like Amazon or eMusic looking for what soundtracks are being released as digital-only downloads, listening to clips in the hope of discovering something that's fresh or different from what's "mainstream".

Yes 75% or more isn't worth a second listen (even the clips) - and I sometimes wonder if they ever sell any copies - but there are things that are worth listening to (IMO).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Valkyrie John Ottman

The choral theme absolutely floors me. This is by far the best piece of music I've heard from Ottman, and definitely one of my top tracks from last year. The rest of the score ain't bad either, some very good action pieces and tense thriller-type writing.

Agree. Especially on the choral piece; i didn't believe me ears at first.....are we sure he actually wrote it? wink tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The opportunity for composers to have their music being made available for people to listen to surely is a good thing? And it's for us to judge whether or not we like what we hear. If it doesn't sell then it's not too much of a bummer for the people who do the digital release. But hopefully they'll try again - and have more success.

I'm finding myself more and more now searching through places like Amazon or eMusic looking for what soundtracks are being released as digital-only downloads, listening to clips in the hope of discovering something that's fresh or different from what's "mainstream".

Yes 75% or more isn't worth a second listen (even the clips) - and I sometimes wonder if they ever sell any copies - but there are things that are worth listening to (IMO).

It's mostly labels in this thing and has very little, to nothing to do with composers themselves; it's mostly money-making. And i hate to have all that stuff released in medium sound quality whilst they could easily save some money and release the better / good ones on CD, properly. It's all about that talk on the plethora of excessive information...
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree. It's important to remember that very of Mikael's MMS released scores end up in the form of released cds. Most people buy them online.

Other iTunes only things that come to mind - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Trevor Jones - released overseas on cd), The Upside of Anger, Lair (which I think is quite good), Medal of Honor Airborne, ...

I often use iTunes as well if I have an emergency need for a track and don't have a digitised copy at hand. Often in spotting meetings with composers, a quick trip to iTunes has given me the reference cue I'm after for $1.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009 edited
    Mikael's MMS is a wholly different thing that iTunes and in general, straight-to-iTunes ONLY releases.
  5. But that's where it began. If it has grown, it was the success of selling on that platform that helped it do so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think the digital-only route has provided us with the opportunity to hear music which we never otherwise would have done, some of which is fantastic. Mikael was the pioneer, too.

But I do object when more "major" scores only get iTunes releases. Someone's already mentioned The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. And then there are those Disney titles (Eight Below, for instance). Not sure I see the logic there - those are things which would have made money if they'd been released as physical CDs.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    And i hate to have all that stuff released in medium sound quality...

At the risk of starting another "debate" on digital releases and sound quality I sometimes feel sorry for people who have such acute hearing that differences can be spotted between the various sampling rates (not considering the silly numbered low rates) in everyday life.

I've just downloaded Kitaro's The Soong Sisters and MediaMonkey's telling me that it's mp3s at ~190kbps and I have to say that with my Technics headphones I still can't really hear anything that's making me regret having this score in this format. So, for me at least, the argument against digital releases as a result of crappy sound just doesn't work.

Maybe it's just another sign of me getting old. sad

BTW, The Soong Sisters is a truly beautiful score. Low-key with some lovely solo instrument passages, it's a heady mixture of romance, Eastern influences and dramatic orchestral splendour.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Have a guess. sad

Oh!? sad slant
  7. NP: The Man In The Iron Mask - Nick Glennie-Smith

I forget how wonderful and beautiful this score is. A great job by Nick Glennie-Smith. It definitely has the same sounds as his collaboration with Zimmer in The Rock. He was a student of Zimmer's right?
    For some reason I don't pick it out as often to listen to. I think because I unconsciously associate it with the movie that I remember being pretty bad. Anyway, a great score that I really should pull out more often. smile
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I LOATHE download-only releases, especially iTunes. No matter what anyone says, the quality is horrid and it sounds even worse on a CD player. Lossless or perhaps 320 kbps download options are OK but even then nothing beats a real physical CD release. I'm OK with lossless releases though (especially for video game scores), that's fair enough. wink

I can't tell you how pissed I am they released Jeff Rona's great Olympics music as download only!

perhaps that's true, but think about it. How many scores would have been lost IF downloadable options weren't available?

For instance ROAR, it would have surfaced on a compilation (such as the amazing end credits of The Mummy Returns on the Fantasy Album of Silva Screen), but how long would it take to surface on it? We filmmusic fans haven't got patience you know wink

Think about it, I'm damn lucky we still have this option, because not everything is released. And this is an option so we can still hear it.

But you said it, nothing beats a CD smile

Then we never would have heard Les Deux Mondes by Richard Harvey
    Trust me, a knock out score

The same for Eight Below by Mark Isham
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Peter Gunn - Henry Mancini

A great way to start the weekend. The main title is the coolest piece of music EVER!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009 edited
    WP: THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS - Hans Zimmer
    Just like Beyond Rangoon, another hidden gem by Zimmer in which he shows his delicate side. A good main theme and good use of synths that seamlessly blends with the orchestra and solo instruments, which prevents it from sounding dated. I've been wanting to hear this for quite some time, so I'm glad I finally do; it was one of those last 'classics' of him I hadn't heard yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Just like Beyond Rangoon, another hidden gem by Zimmer in which he shows his delicate side. A good main theme and good use of synths that seamlessly blends with the orchestra and solo instruments, which prevents it from sounding dated. I've been wanting to hear this for quite some time, so I'm glad I finally do; it was one of those last 'classics' of him I hadn't heard yet.

IMO, one of his better (if not the best) early (1988 - 1994) efforts.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    BobdH wrote

IMO, one of his better (if not the best) early (1988 - 1994) efforts.

Absolutely love it! A very sensitive, emotional score.
  9. Southall wrote
    Peter Gunn - Henry Mancini

A great way to start the weekend. The main title is the coolest piece of music EVER!

Funny you should mention Peter Gunn. I was looking through emusic.com last night and I came across what appears to be 4-5 30-minute LPs featuring various takes from most of the tracks available on CD.

Now that's what should be available for people to pick-and-choose from. Sometimes it's really interesting to hear how takes are subtly different (sometimes too subtle for me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Empire Strikes Back John Williams

Cures extreme boredom. Why? Because there's clear and distinct musical narrative. John Williams really is one of the greatest story tellers of the 20th century.