• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    I will play : Spirit: stallion of Cimarron (Zimmer)

Great tunes. too synthetic and simplistic.

I know Zimmer tried to be original, and how he said " He looked for a weird sound because this Horse is like an Alien in a new world" but in my opinion he failed.

Where did he say that? (Just curious)

As I said before I don't think less synthetic and more complex score would fit in the film because of those simple Bryan Adams songs. (But if they could arrange BA songs more orchestral then score could have been more orchestral...)

NP: 2 tracks from Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey - Bruce Broughton

BOLT's story reminds me of this film.... dogcatdog Great theme anyway.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    (it was the times of Mediva Ventures Golden Age).

Ah, those halcyon days.

Do you prefer Media Ventures guys, or Remote Control Guys?
    wink

The only composer who's ever written anything good while at either studio is Zimmer, so neither. A couple of others have done it after they left (most notably Powell of course).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ah, those halcyon days.

wink

The only composer who's ever written anything good while at either studio is Zimmer, so neither. A couple of others have done it after they left (most notably Powell of course).

What about Chicken Run? Or Twister?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ah, those halcyon days.

wink

What about Chicken Run? Or Twister?

Some of the animation scores are OK (certainly including Chicken Run). I forgot about those. Twister isn't very good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    A View to a Kill - John Barry

Not one of his finest Bond hours, but it's got some good action music in there and the title theme makes a surprisingly nice love theme.

I've always loved AVTAK, particularly the moody stuff, however you do get the feeling Barry is getting tired of the franchise until Dalton took over and Barry did his brilliant swansong for The Living Daylights.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Twister isn't very good.

Disagree completely. It's one Mancina's finest works. Excellent main theme, great low chorus for the tornado's themselves and driving action music! Really well done!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

I've always loved AVTAK, particularly the moody stuff, however you do get the feeling Barry is getting tired of the franchise until Dalton took over and Barry did his brilliant swansong for The Living Daylights.

Me, I'm not so mad about Stoke City.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Miya wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I will play : Spirit: stallion of Cimarron (Zimmer)

Great tunes. too synthetic and simplistic.

I know Zimmer tried to be original, and how he said " He looked for a weird sound because this Horse is like an Alien in a new world" but in my opinion he failed.

Where did he say that? (Just curious)

As I said before I don't think less synthetic and more complex score wouldn't fit in the film because of those simple Bryan Adams songs. (But if they could arrange BA songs more orchestral then score could have been more orchestral...)

Wow, A lot of interviews about this score at his time....I don't know where. But I think in the DVD or ir Cannes interviews.

NP:Spirited Away

The movie is a masterpiece.

And this score is perfect for a sunny day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Twister isn't very good.

Disagree completely. It's one Mancina's finest works. Excellent main theme, great low chorus for the tornado's themselves and driving action music! Really well done!

-Erik-

Love it too;

Older MV days are indeed far better than the impersonal electronic junk we get nowadays from the Djawadis of the world. And Badelt with Harry Gregson Williams seem to be going the down-way since long now.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jordi,

i am not familiar with lots of Hisaishi's action material. I was under the impression he didn't much of those scores you're seeking? I might be wrong, but i always go to Hisaishi for melody and orchestral elegance. For what you're looking for, Giacchino and the older Beltrami should do it wink

I recall some good action writing in Princess Mononoke and Castle in the sky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi,

i am not familiar with lots of Hisaishi's action material. I was under the impression he didn't much of those scores you're seeking? I might be wrong, but i always go to Hisaishi for melody and orchestral elegance. For what you're looking for, Giacchino and the older Beltrami should do it wink

I recall some good action writing in Princess Mononoke and Castle in the sky.

I know D, that's why I'm asking to you, because you know wich kind of mind blowing orchestral sound I can love wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap smile Not too much of this in Hisaishi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Twister isn't very good.

Disagree completely. It's one Mancina's finest works.

I agree with that completely, but still don't think it's very good. It's OK. It's just not "very good".
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Outlander (zanelli)

It's not even funny. (well, I laugh with "leave no man behind" moment thought)

It's mediocre, bland, uninspired.... Boring.

The Batman Begins moments are just annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Twister isn't very good.

I agree with that completely, but still don't think it's very good. It's OK. It's just not "very good".

Well, I think it's great! A great play on CD and it really enhances the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

(well, I laugh with "leave no man behind" moment thought)

Really? I didn´t notice that. Track?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

(well, I laugh with "leave no man behind" moment thought)

Really? I didn´t notice that. Track?

At the end of "Gunna'rs raid" . The same distorsioned version of Leave no man behind from Syncrothone.

NP:Episode I: Panthom Menace Complete (Williams)

I have never heard this score in his complete form!!!! Amazing how many superb cues was missed from the realeased Album.

It has nothing to envy to Return of the Jedi!

WOW! punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Lesbian Vampire Killers (Debbie Wiseman)

This one would be great if it wasn´t a shameless copy / paste of a 2002 korean score: 2009 Lost Memories by Lee Dong-Jung. Debbie, Debbie, Debbie......I gotcha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote

This one would be great if it wasn´t a shameless copy / paste of a 2002 korean score: 2009 Lost Memories by Lee Dong-Jung. Debbie, Debbie, Debbie......I gotcha!

Any examples from that Korean score that you can share with us?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Twister isn't very good.

Having played it while I was driving a red pick-up truck during a storm at high speeds (no, really), I can assure you I think Twister is much better than "OK". biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:star Trek Insurrection (Goldsmith)

It seems I'm in a terrible mood for this score.

Why Goldsmith uses more the "us marshals" motif instead the splendid "drones attack?

Why Goldsmith underuses Baku's theme instead the secondary love theme ( Sweet and lovely , thought) ?

anyway, a very entertaining album and bootleg. Mixing very well the 2 sides of Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Marselus wrote

I like whatever few Lee Dong Jun scores that I have. What do you think is a good price for 2009 Lost Memories?
  1. NP: Dragonball: Evolution (Brian Tyler)

So far it sounds fun, but man, this is every Tyler score revisited
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

Any examples from that Korean score that you can share with us?

-Erik-

The choir work seems extracted from Lost Memories (actually I had to check what score I was listening to), there are brass lines that are exactly the same and the action tracks are curiously similar.
  2. Played earlier: Titus (Elliot Goldenthal)

Some noteworthy stuff, especially at the beginning an end, with some weird and wacky music stuck in the middle. I appreciate its diversity though, with Goldenthal essentially using every trick in his book and still sounding fresh enough. But the more melodic cues are great. An overall fine album, just not equalling his Final Fantasy music.

Playing now: Hellbound: Hellraiser II (Christopher Young)

This essentially sounds like it was co-written by Horner, because the eerie strings and some of the Horner trademarks make an appearance here, much to my delight. However Young manages to create an unsettling musical atmosphere with the incredibly insane 'Hall of Mirrors', which sounds nothing like the massive and stunningly gorgeous choral cues. In short this is how terror should be scored, not like the uninspired crap that passes for music these days.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BhelPuri wrote
    Marselus wrote

I like whatever few Lee Dong Jun scores that I have. What do you think is a good price for 2009 Lost Memories?

I paid 13$ back in 2003 when I bought it from yesasia.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Played earlier: Titus (Elliot Goldenthal)

Some noteworthy stuff, especially at the beginning an end, with some weird and wacky music stuck in the middle. I appreciate its diversity though, with Goldenthal essentially using every trick in his book and still sounding fresh enough. But the more melodic cues are great. An overall fine album, just not equalling his Final Fantasy music.

Playing now: Hellbound: Hellraiser II (Christopher Young)

This essentially sounds like it was co-written by Horner, because the eerie strings and some of the Horner trademarks make an appearance here, much to my delight. However Young manages to create an unsettling musical atmosphere with the incredibly insane 'Hall of Mirrors', which sounds nothing like the massive and stunningly gorgeous choral cues. In short this is how terror should be scored, not like the uninspired crap that passes for music these days.

More like co-written by Goldsmith. Check out Second Sight Seance with Rebirth from Poltergeist.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Strange but I never made the connection until you mentioned it. Young, Horner and Goldsmith then biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ah, those halcyon days.

wink

MV easily. When's the next John Powell coming?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ah, those halcyon days.

wink

MV easily. When's the next John Powell coming?

Never again, I´m afraid.