• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009
    I thought of this so many times in my life. Still, i can't find the answers. From ancient times to present days, so many people feared of ghosts or evil spirit. In fact, we heard so many stories based on that. Its quite natural that in this universe there is an eternal battle between good and evil. Its something like Holiness vs Evil Spirit. I know here so many of my filmtracks friends do believe in GOD, but i don't know how many of you guys believe in ghost or ghost stories?

Let me come to relevant subject. I have seen so many filmmakers in the world would like to make a movie on ghost or devil because people just loves horror stuff. In fact, you all know Legendary filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock known for making suspense and thriller films. His majority of films would be very suspenseful and thriller. I know about another filmmaker/writer, Stephen King known for writing horror novels and making horror movies.

The most important thing is score for this genre would be very interesting. Composing music for the horror score would be certainly difficult for composers. Sometimes, music makes so tense and thrilling even though the plot or scenes are not so horror or scary one. Let me tell you one fine example, the movie called “The Omen”, which had no ghost or devil or least to say they didn’t show us the horrifying ghost. The fact is that the whole was dominated by Goldsmith’s brilliant score. Music made scary sequence than the scenes itself.

There is a another movie comes to my mind that “Evil Dead”, which had so many horrifying moments, to be honest none of the scenes was so scary to me. Despite that I admire the score, even though not great score but appreciable one. And then “Evil Dead 2” and “Evil Dead 3”, which supposed to be “Army of Darkness” made me laugh rather being scared by these movies. But to be honest, I liked the score. To me these movies are not horror, it occurred very funny to me. I know fans of Evil Dead will go against my opinion. Anyhow, I respect individual opinion and the fact is Evil Dead trilogy is quite entertaining one.

I find “Exorcist” so unique because there wasn’t much music used in the movie. Of course, theme was brilliant but in the movie, they hadn’t used music much. Actually, movie was great to watch. This is a really great horror movie of all time.

Now, I can think about Danny Elfman’s score for “Sleepy Hollow” and “The Frighteners”. I say those scores are his best scores in his career. What do you say?

Finally, this topic may sound weird and especially, to place question like your belief in ghost. But I am very eager to know about your views, opinions on ghost concept and also on movies and scores related to this subject. What are your favorite scores for horror movies?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009 edited
    Evil Dead 2 & 3 ( Army Of Darkness ) are my favourites of the three films, totally hilarious and Bruce Campbell is a god. punk cool

Though I loved the Omen films at the time I now find them really silly except for Jerry Goldsmith's brilliant scores.

And my favourite horror score? Probably Hellbound : Hellraiser II by Christopher Young, full on apocolyptic horror with moments of serene beauty. However, the original Hellraiser is the better film by far.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Historically, this is a genre that has inspired some composers to produce their best. An honourable mention for Christopher Young, but I think the king of them was Jerry Goldsmith. Not just The Omen and its sequels (sadly the music is burdened by association with ridiculous films, at least in the case of the sequels) but also the breathtaking brilliance of Poltergeist and one of the most satisfying scores of his later career, The Haunting (again, a score which deserves to be in a better film).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL. Period. And Goldsmith's Omen scores, plus a lot of the choral-driven work of Christopher Young.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What horror movies has Goldenthal done? Pet Semetery? Are there any others?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    IN DREAMS. Massive.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh yes. And it is. (Not in the Goldsmith league though!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009 edited
    Howard Shore knows how to scare you, that's for shore.

Sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Many composers given the opportunity have done a horror piece or two from Waxman and Herrmann to some of the modern day material from Young.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Young isn't given much opportunity to do something else, actually.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    So true of many jobs. A sports photographer isn't given much chance to do wedding work. David Newman doesn't get too many chances to work on films like Atonement.
    listen to more classical music!