• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    Oh! Ravi, you could be the 11th Avatar, because you are RAVI KRISHNA. biggrin biggrin biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    Oh no sir, that's embarassing, I am a mere little mortal in surrender to the Almighty. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    The Avatars are incarnations of God himself, not like His Son or anything. The Lord himself assumes the form of something else and arrives on Earth to do the tasks. And often He did them without using more special powers than necessary - for example Lord Parshurama, Rama and Buddha lived extraordinarily like ordinary human beings, yet managed to do extraordinary things! It is a very good message of self confidence for everyone. smile

Indeed. I'm guessing that's why so many Bollywood films have drawn their inspiration and "plot points" (broadly speaking) from stuff like Ramayana and Mahabharata.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Those two are regarded as the most great epic literary works of India of all time. smile The Bhagwad Gita is actually an offshoot of an incident in Mahabharata.

Frankly, I want some good Hollywood director to get together an Indian cast (like Gandhi, Slumdog...) and adapt these works to make great, proper VFX-supported movies. If done well it'd be wonderful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Those two are regarded as the most great epic literary works of India of all time. smile

I know. There are many components of the Ramayana, for example, that you'll find as recurring themes or features in Bollywood films. Both in terms of narrative (stories within stories etc.) and content (the arch nemesis/Ravana etc.). But of course, you know that. It's not that dissimilar, I guess, from how many Western films take their point-of-departure in Christianity and, say, Norse mythology (the LORD OF THE RINGS films being the prime example of something that combines the two).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Interestingly you'll see how these themes often reoccur in different religions too. For example, the story of Matsya (the fish) is very similar to the story of Noah's Ark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't you think it's time for a new thread? Also, Thor is probably into a new hot Indian babe wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin

Ok, move this into the religion thread. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't you think it's time for a new thread? Also, Thor is probably into a new hot Indian babe wink

I am.

Unfortunately, she's taken by Bachchan jr.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I'm guessing that's why so many Bollywood films have drawn their inspiration and "plot points" (broadly speaking) from stuff like Ramayana and Mahabharata.

Thor,

If Bollywood filmmakers have properly drawn the inspiration from these two epics, most of the films would have been international hit. Unfortunately, our filmmakers failed to adapt great great stories told in these two epics of our country. Really shame on them. If Peter Jackson could adapt J.R.R.Tolkien' LOTR in proper, then why not our filmmakers adapt Mahabharata. Because somewhat i find some similarities between Lord of the Rings and Mahabharata, especially character wise, in LOTR there is a character called Legolas, who is expert in archery and same thing here, Arjuna, who is also expert in archery. I think in this modern days, i expect that filmmakers can give new look to Mahabharata with help of advanced technology in sound and visual effects and take this wonderful epic to whole world. How is that? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ok, move this into the religion thread.

Where is it, Ravi? cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was once on a bus travelling to Kashmir when it was stopped along with hundreds of other vehicles by an entire town who were protesting. The Mahabharata was being shown on TV and the towns electricity had shut down, the people wouldn't let any vehicle through until the electricity was working again.

That's what I call people power cool punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote
    Where is it, Ravi? cheesy

Here - http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ia-beware/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    I was once on a bus travelling to Kashmir when it was stopped along with hundreds of other vehicles by an entire town who were protesting. The Mahabharata was being shown on TV and the towns electricity had shut down, the people wouldn't let any vehicle through until the electricity was working again.

That's what I call people power cool punk

Oh yes, Ramanand Sagar's and B.R Chopra's TV series' for Ramayana and Mahabharata respectively brought the whole country to a standstill! Especially the former.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Considering how many hundreds of people were protesting it was all very civilised, I talked with a few of them and totally agreed with them.

I watched the entire series when it was shown on Brit TV, it's a fantastic series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Even with minimal SFX, it was done very well. The background music in Ramayana, though simple, actually got quite dramatic and scary sometimes! freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    DemonStar wrote
    If you notice carefully, these avatars actually represent the evolution of life on Earth! smile

I didn't realize that until you pointed it out now. Cool!

DemonStar wrote
    Frankly, I want some good Hollywood director to get together an Indian cast (like Gandhi, Slumdog...) and adapt these works to make great, proper VFX-supported movies. If done well it'd be wonderful!

Indeed! There's so much they could do with the epics. But they're content to deal with the same old hero/gangster/romance stories.

For what it is worth, there's a cool animation film on Sita titled 'Sita Sings The Blues' by Nina Paley. It's done entirely by her (took 5 years). I've been following bits and pieces of it right though its early stages when clips were posted online. I'm yet to watch the full film (it's free to download) but I love what I've seen so far. It's a different treatment with the jazz music of Annette Hanshaw. What's utterly cool about it is that some parts feature narrators who're introducing the characters based on how they learnt it from their parents and elders, and correcting things on the go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

What? you realized now? hmmm.... I feel pity for you. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sun-il Jim laying on the charm eh!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sunil wrote

What? you realized now? hmmm.... I feel pity for you. shocked

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    Five Minutes to Watch 100 Years of Visual Effects
    Compilation of some incredible moments in the history of visual effects, from silent films to recent blockbusters.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=18f_1251462790
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Compilation of some incredible moments in the history of visual effects, from silent films to recent blockbusters.

Nice, but I'm surprised there were no clips from what is generally considered the FIRST FX fiction fillm of all time, Georges Meliés' TRIP TO THE MOON from 1902.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No Metropolis?

There'll always be one disgruntled fan wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    No Metropolis?

There'll always be one disgruntled fan wink

True, it has some special...uhm, special effects, but it's really a milestone because of SET DESIGN, first and foremost.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Nice, but I'm surprised there were no clips from what is generally considered the FIRST FX fiction fillm of all time, Georges Meliés' TRIP TO THE MOON from 1902.

How was that? What was the fsx about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

How was that? What was the fsx about?

Mostly special effects that were inherited from the theatre world (this being, after all, the very first fiction film), such as a "zoom" effect by having the moon (with a smiley face, mind you!) drive towards the camera as they approach it. Or the "stagey" set designs for the moon scenes. Meliés was very much into optical illusions and "magic" trickery on stage, and imported this to film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/26/ulti … -on-video/

Waaant.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp