• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Gremlins ??? maybe maybe ???
    Goldsmith Rules!!

1. ah classic punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

ah classic punk

Goonies Forever! Hearing those themes makes me want to shuffle truffle over to my TV and turn on the film while enjoying a Baby Ruth!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited
    GOONIES, SCHMOONIES....I've never understood the big deal. Mediocre film at best with dozens of plot holes, run-of-the-mill (albeit charming) score. Then again, I saw it for the first time only a few years ago, not as a kid like most other fans.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Once again today, I'm with Thor.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010 edited
    ^ You had to be a kid from the 80's and had seen the film when it first came out to get it! When you are 8-9-10 years old you don't give a shit about plot holes. The Goonies was one of those films that sent ordinary kids into outrageous and fantastic adventures that you only wish you could experience. The Goonies, The Explorers, Flight of the Navigator, The Last Starfighter, etc. Imaginative films that connected with kids like no other films have before or after. Sure, there was Star Wars and Indiana Jones but as a 10 year old how could you not instantly connect with a group of BMX riding pals going off on an adventure searching for lost treasure. Or building a spaceship with your buddies and blasting off into the unknown like in The Explorers. Or being recruited, through a videogame, to defend the the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada like in The Last Starfighter. These films captured our 10 year old imaginations and like I said before took us on a ride that we wish we could experience first hand. It's sad that some of you never got a chance to share the experience or even let the 10 year old inside of you right now out and let your imaginations run free. Some of you just don't know how to have simple fun at the movies anymore.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I saw it when it came out. I saw ET when it came out. I saw THE LAST STARFIGHTER when it came out. I saw TRON and THE NEVERENDING STORY when they came out. I didn't like any of them much except STORY at the time.

On the other hand, some twisted relative took me to see EMPIRE OF THE SUN when I was seven, and while I didn't get it, I thought about it for years... it got stuck in my head. And I seemed to be able to identify with that boy for some reason.

We all tread very different paths.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR I DO have a nostalgic relationship to, though. One of my earlier cinemagoing memories. But of course, I haven't seen it since then, and would probably have felt differently if I had seen it for the first time today. I'm not sure I would WANT to revisit it either, as it would ruin some of those nostalgic feelings. It happened when I saw KARATE KID again just a few months ago. One should be careful with those things.

Generally, I think it's crucial to separate between one's nostalgic and forgiving relationship to a given film and at the same time recognize its shortcomings.

NAVIGATOR DID have a fabulous synth score by Silvestri, though, which has given me much pleasure even in adult life.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010
    Thor wrote
    Generally, I think it's crucial to separate between one's nostalgic and forgiving relationship to a given film and at the same time recognize its shortcomings.

Bah! I know the films have short comings but they are still great popcorn films that I can't wait to show my kids and makes my inner child jump for joy!

BTW, The Karate Kid is still as good as it was back in 1984. The sequel is even better!

franz_conrad wrote
    I saw it when it came out. I saw ET when it came out. I saw THE LAST STARFIGHTER when it came out. I saw TRON and THE NEVERENDING STORY when they came out. I didn't like any of them much except STORY at the time.

I feel sorry for you. I truly do. How can one NOT like E.T.?! shocked

franz_conrad wrote
    On the other hand, some twisted relative took me to see EMPIRE OF THE SUN when I was seven, and while I didn't get it, I thought about it for years... it got stuck in my head. And I seemed to be able to identify with that boy for some reason.

Great movie!

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I saw it when it came out. I saw ET when it came out. I saw THE LAST STARFIGHTER when it came out. I saw TRON and THE NEVERENDING STORY when they came out. I didn't like any of them much except STORY at the time.

Ha, I don't need your pity. wink
    It felt so sweet -- somehow as a six or seven year old (this was VHS) I just couldn't muster the interest to watch it all the way through. I think it was probably this film that started me off believing that Americans could be really corny.
    Even to this day, that alone probably accounts for why I don't respond to that Williams score as nearly as much as I respond to RAIDERS and the STAR WARS films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

Now you know how I feel with you and Ratatouille! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I guess. But then again I've only seen it once. Maybe I was in a bad mood or something but when I think of that film I think about how it's the first Pixar film to truly feel like a cliched Disney film. But I hadn't seen Cars at that point and boy does that was suck LARGE! Hummm... I do have Ratatouille on DVD. Maybe I'll revisit it in the near future. Then again, Ratatouille is NO E.T.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    GOONIES, SCHMOONIES....I've never understood the big deal. Mediocre film at best with dozens of plot holes, run-of-the-mill (albeit charming) score. Then again, I saw it for the first time only a few years ago, not as a kid like most other fans.

It makes me want to vomit too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I watched it again last week on tv, that's a fine movie indeed.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I saw it in '82 (7 years old) with mom and dad and I gotta tell you, I was absolutely terrified by it. E.T. was like the creature that came out of John Hurt's chest... I had nightmares for many months. shame Only later I saw the charm, innocence and brilliance of the film. But I confess I don't own the film, and I don't plan to. It's not one I can see over and over.

And for the record, Ratatouille is wonderful, my favourite Pixar. That one I do own, on blu no less.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    Ok. Time to bump this one since the new releases will be out in about 14 hours from now.

I can always dream of some Pino, Ennio and Georges but there's next to no chance of that happening so tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    I just hope it's not something I must buy regardless of my financial situation.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010
    Still holding out for Gremlins, even tho I cant afford it smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    moonie wrote
    Still holding out for Gremlins, even tho I cant afford it smile

In that case wish for it to be something you don't want until money is better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A good batch...

The Goonies - Dave Grusin
    The Spiral Road - Jerry Goldsmith
    The Scout / Dreamer - Bill Conti
    The Manhattan Project - Philippe Sarde
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A lot of people will be glad with The Goonies, I guess?
    Nothing in there for me, though, it seems.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yay
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    A lot of people will be glad with The Goonies, I guess?
    Nothing in there for me, though, it seems.

If I had money to throw I would pick up the Sarde and Goldsmith, but I'm not upset at missing out.

I'm glad for those that have wanted The Goonies for so long.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yay

C'mon D, it's hardly a bad batch and I'll bet you've hardly heard a one of them so no need for the 'yay'
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yay: not judging any subjective quality of the batch; just expressing my interest. Party pooping if you will wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I wouldn't even know whether it's a good or a bad batch. Judging from the stature of the represented composers I would say not, but none of these scores ring a bell with me. confused Well, except for "Grail"(?) The Goonies, of course.

I'm sure this batch will sell well, but I am silently glad there's nothing in there for me, as I'm trying to replete some funds in much need of replenishment after my Rozsa box splash-out... dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay wink
  6. I went for The Spiral Road and The Goonies. I'd only recently bought The Manhattan Project as a download.

I've never heard of the Goldsmith title, but on hearing the clips, it was an immediate purchase. I'm a sucker for Oriental-tinged scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn