• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011
    Don't like this one then James?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I didn't hear anything particularly interesting in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think it's a boat load of fun featuring a RC composer breaking away from the tired old RC cliched sound and showcasing his genuine musical talent.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Don't like this one then James?

It's fine... just sounded like generic RC stuff to me. Nothing wrong with it if you like their Dreamworks animation music but I didn't think it went beyond that. Lots of other people seem to like it a lot so clearly they are hearing something I'm not.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    I'm with Southall. It didn't sound like RC but it certainly didn't sound like something new or different.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    dizzy I think I'll tread carefully.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011 edited
    Where do you listen generic RC Stuff? The whole latter part and the finale is a full-blown John Williams-esque ride..! Are we listening to the same score? I am certainly with Erik on this one. He shows impressive potential and huge credit goes out from me for not writing the usual Djawadi/Zanelli etc crap.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Where do you listen generic RC Stuff? The whole latter part and the finale is a full-blown John Williams-esque ride..! Are we listening to the same score? I am certainly with Erik on this one. He shows impressive potential and huge credit goes out from me for not writing the usual Djawadi/Zanelli etc crap.

I agree. I love the choral bits in the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011
    New interview with Jackman

http://scorenotes.com/interviews.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011
    Trailer for X-Men: First Class

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30140
  2. First X-Men: First Class clip, with Henry Jackman's music. Nice to hear a orchestral sound, not like in Wolverine.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30954
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011
    Exclusive First Listen of Henry Jackman's "X-Men: First Class" over at CinemaMusica.de.

http://www.cinemamusica.de/1649/first-l … irst-class

Enjoy!
  3. Nice samples! Sounds like X-Men: The Last Stand but with electric guitars. Way better than Wolverine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wolverine? I don't think it's a point on which we should compare and judge and score, ever. It's utter rubbish, anything's better than that. I have faith in Jackman, i loved what he did so far. We'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Watch the behind the scenes clip and listen to the score.

HERE
  4. The voice of reason says that there are a couple of tracks on Wolverine that are listenable in isolation.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The voice of reason says that there are a couple of tracks on Wolverine that are listenable in isolation.

Yes, I am the voice of reason. I actually like the thematic materials that HGW came up with for Logan. For people who thinks that superhero movies doesn't have catchy themes anymore, Wolverine offers a few.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011
    Catchy... maybe.... good... no!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Catchy... maybe.... good... no!

-Erik-

what don't you like about the themes in wolverine erik? i think wolverine has the best and memorable themes of the whole x-men series. ok, they sound a little bit too rcp the the wolverine theme is very heroic and has nice string parts and the lyla theme ist just beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    X-Men: First Class is better than the score it has, sadly. Considering Jackman's pedigree and Vaughn's needs, I expected a really knock-out score like Powell did with X-Men 3. To be sure, the music fits the tone of the movie (barring the electric guitars) but it just isn't noteworthy. Very disappointed.

Vaughn should've gone back to Ilan Eshkeri for this. Or David Arnold, considering the 1960s vibe and some Bond-esque scenes. A very enjoyable movie, mediocre score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011
    View this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a21inAO41XI and during the first half, listen carefully to understand the simple problem with hollywood today regarding film music.
  5. What problem? Vaughn is right. Magneto didn't need a full fledged theme. The theme he has on the film represent perfectly his anger. Besides, the original theme sounded like Get Smart theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah yeah. Complete lack of melody, just hold the bass line and the guitar riffs, sounding like any other score out there.
  6. So what if it sounded like other score? It was perfect for the character. A composer doesn't care if something sounds like before or not, he's going to serve the film. Besides, the theme he originally made wouldn't have been as memorable as this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011 edited
    The general trend to take out any glimpse of a theme or melodies in the higher instruments (wind or brass) is worrying, it's all i am saying. Makes scores without character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Jackman in his On The Score interview was very emphatic that he doesn't like scores that are not based around themes and melodies. He also suggested that he was told to write X-Men this way. I hope he finds some projects where he can better utilize his obvious melodic gifts. If there was a bit less mickey-mousing in "Winnie the Pooh" it would be an absolutely fantastic score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jackman is hugely talented, and even though he has an orchestral background and education, he often prefers to work with trip hop and other electronica. Zimmer said in an interview recently that they really had to convince him to do some string arrangement stuff for, I believe, KUNG FU PANDA 2, which he did brilliantly.

I just saw X-MEN FIRST CLASS a couple of days ago, and thought it was ok. The score seemed to be parts anonymous RC stuff and part in-your-face melodic elegance reminiscent of what Powell did for the franchise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    View this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a21inAO41XI and during the first half, listen carefully to understand the simple problem with hollywood today regarding film music.

I agree with you one billion percent, Demetirs. This on going trend of film scores without any sort of hook or melody is down right disgusting! Soulless, empty scores! sleep It's amazing to see Jackman's frustration in that video... and you know what... almost every single composer in Hollywood these days are just as flabbergasted with modern day directors as Jackman is in that video.

Thanks for sharing and thanks to Jackman for sharing the frustration of the creative process!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree with you one billion percent, Demetirs. This on going trend of film scores without any sort of hook or melody is down right disgusting! Soulless, empty scores! sleep It's amazing to see Jackman's frustration in that video... and you know what... almost every single composer in Hollywood these days are just as flabbergasted with modern day directors as Jackman is in that video.

Thanks for sharing and thanks to Jackman for sharing the frustration of the creative process!

-Erik-

Indeed, great insight look; you know what, i think we should really lay off some of the composers a bit, at least the ones that showed what they can do in the past, not the ones responsible for these poor trends these days. If previously-fanboys turned-directors who suddenly got it and have no clue about the essence of cinema or film music's function and history but are just after big and quick cash, what can the composers really do? They need creative freedom and they don't have it....listen to the first version of the piece, how different it is and then listen to the 2nd final crappy generic stuff he put in the film; it's very sad, he laughs but he's clearly frustrated as you put it very correctly, Erik. They have to pay the bills, if the directors want constant crap i'd imagine there's little to do, if you DO want to keep your job. Look what he did with WINNIE THE POOH once they let him work!

Then again there's people like the moony above and obviously those directors who don't think there's anything wrong with this music-less approach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011
    The only villain ever to be able to get away with a bassline for a memorable theme was Jaws.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn