• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Still, the original theme which it sounds in the video doesn't screams bad guy as the bassline. This isn't Ian McKellen's Magneto. In the complete video, Jackman says that because the film is on the 60', he wanted a score to be contemporary, but still like something from the 60.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011
    Why is it not NOT Ian McKellen's Magneto? Why does every new director have to add their own "interpretation" to the series rather than remaining true to the source?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Because this is beginning of the story, when Charles and Erik we're young. In the special features they talk about this. Also, it follows a bit the continuity of the X-Men films not the comics.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    View this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a21inAO41XI and during the first half, listen carefully to understand the simple problem with hollywood today regarding film music.

Very enlightening.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011 edited
    There's a (thin red?) line going from Zimmer's and JNH's BATMAN scores to INCEPTION to TRON: LEGACY to PRIEST to this, I guess. That is, the throbbing bassline and the ominous, staccato brass/sample outbursts. I think that can be pretty cool and effective in itself, but is obviously becoming a popular gimmick these days, just like the wailing woman did after GLADIATOR. Especially in sci fi/action material.

I love going back in history to find the traces of such trends, and in this case, I think it really comes down to Powell's BOURNE scores. These groundbreaking scores often utilized only a 4/4 beat and then slight harmonic variations on top. They weren't the dark and brooding material in the aforementioned films, but I think the recipe was there. Of course, there are precursors to this as well, but the "Bourne riff" really became so popular and copied so often that it revolutionzed the whole musical approach to action films, in my estimation.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Michel Chion needs to write an article about it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Michel Chion needs to write an article about it.

He will always fall down on the side of sound effects, anyway (but I assume that's what you meant).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Ah, but isn't that what it is? wink
    I suspect for him it would be a case where sound effects & music have finally become integrated in their aesthetic intent within the narrative. He once wrote that BLADE RUNNER was a rare case where sound effects and music were as one in Dolby age... perhaps it has started happening a bit more generally since then.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011
    Him, Rodrigo and Gabriella (who have previously collaborated with Hans on POTC4 among other titles) return with

PUSS IN BOOTS

Which is a very good score btw.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VW … B005VW4Q70
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011
    Puss in Boots sounds completely awesome! Hope the whole score is that good! Is it strange that the score samples remind me of Beverly Hills Chihuahua? tongue

And finally, a score where it completely makes sense to use G&R's talents. A lot more sense than POTC4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is at their field so it is pretty good. They should have never been on potc4 in the first place. But let's wait and see if there's actual talent there cause there might be limited. See: heitor pereira or I'm fact many cases in the rc.

Henry jackman seems like a possible exception of the rule though.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    This is what Zorro would have sounded like if written by John Powell. Very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    This is what Zorro would have sounded like if written by John Powell. Very good.

Ha! Good description! applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Christodoulides wrote
    But let's wait and see if there's actual talent there cause there might be limited. See: heitor pereira or I'm fact many cases in the rc.

Henry jackman seems like a possible exception of the rule though.

He's the only (current) RC composer I'm watching with a lot of interest right now. I've been impressed by him so far. He's capable of breaking from the RC chord progressions. He proved he can do a very non-RC style with Winnie and that he has a good command of the orchestra. So I like his style, but he has yet to write a really catchy theme, at least for me. Hopefully that'll change with this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Also I just realized those 2 Rodrigo y Gabriela tracks are the first 2 tracks from their first album. So they didn't actually write any new music for this film like they did for Pirates?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    I think the theme from Winnie the Pooh is very catchy. And he wrote the main "heroic" theme of Kick-Ass which is quite fantastic, if underrepresented in the final product.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    Feliz wrote
    Also I just realized those 2 Rodrigo y Gabriela tracks are the first 2 tracks from their first album. So they didn't actually write any new music for this film like they did for Pirates?

Seems so.
    But honestly, the work they did for Pirates was pretty much a minor variation on existing material as well (although I'd have to look up the name).

Not that I mind. I absolutely adore their work! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    Scribe wrote
    I think the theme from Winnie the Pooh is very catchy. And he wrote the main "heroic" theme of Kick-Ass which is quite fantastic, if underrepresented in the final product.
    I remembered about KA right after I posted that. One of my favorite recent scores, and Jackman's theme was definitely a major highlight in the score. There were so many names on in though that I guess it slipped my mind he was in on it for a second. I'll have to listen to Winnie again.

Martijn wrote
    But honestly, the work they did for Pirates was pretty much a minor variation on existing material as well (although I'd have to look up the name).

Not that I mind. I absolutely adore their work! smile
    I noticed that. Kind of sounded to me like bonus tracks from 11:11 or something. And I do too! Even though their inclusion in POTC4 kind of confused things for a messy release, I guess in the long run I'm glad they were in on the project. It meant I got to discover both of their fantastic albums! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011
    New interview with Henry Jackman, very promising composer imo http://www.filmmusicsite.com/news.cgi?g … mp;lang=en
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012 edited
    Listening to clips for Man On A Ledge at the moment. It's very electronic/rhythms/percussion oriented (with a bit of strings thrown in) but it seems to have a feel to it that takes it above the generic, run-of-the-mill scores of this type. May be worth investigating further?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to clips for Man On A Ledge at the moment. It's very electronic/rhythms/percussion oriented (with a bit of strings thrown in) but it seems to have a feel to it that takes it above the generic, run-of-the-mill scores of this type. May be worth investigating further?

In a word, no. But that's just my opinion, of course.

I think everything I've heard by Jackman for live action films is utterly dreadful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

In a word, no. But that's just my opinion, of course.

I think everything I've heard by Jackman for live action films is utterly dreadful.

Even Gulliver's Travel? and X-Men - First Class? and Henri 4?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    Yes, especially Henri 4!

I think your definition of dreadful would change once you've heard the wonderful works of Paul Haslinger and Tyler Bates. Jackman's scores are far from dreadful, IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'd put him in their league - based solely on his stuff for live action. I really like some of his stuff for animations though. Weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    I'd put him in their league - based solely on his stuff for live action. I really like some of his stuff for animations though. Weird.

Wow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2012
    The soundtrack for ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER will be released on June 19th courtesy of Sony Masterworks. Amazon has the cover art up.

http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-V … pd_sim_m_9

Hopefully he'll deliver some kind of rousing, Gothic rollercoaster of a score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012
    Amazon now has the track listing up for ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER.

1. Childhood Tragedy
    2. Vampires
    3. What Do You Hate?
    4. Power Comes from Truth
    5. You Are Full of Surprises
    6. Mary Todd
    7. The Horse Stampede
    8. Henry Sturgess
    9. Adam
    10. Rescue Mission
    11. Inauguration
    12. All Slave to Something
    13. Emancipation
    14. Haunted by the Past
    15. Battle at Gettysburg
    16. Forging Silver
    17. 80 Miles
    18. The Burning Bridge
    19. Not the Only Railroad
    20. The Gettysburg Address
    21. Late to the Theater
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012
    Although I'd seen it before, the title alone makes me cringe.
    This was a one-joke concept (starting with, I think, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which was, I should admit, at least an interesting way of re-visiting and re-examining a classic of literature). But then all and sundry (of course rolleyes ) jumped on the bandwagon, and now we are inundated with shit like this.
    Honestly, I don't even think it's funny.
    Just boring. And slightly annoying.

No idea what the score will be like.
    Don't care very much either. But that, as the above may suggest, has more to do with the source material than mr. Jackman's compository capabilities!
  5. Here's my review of ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER by Henry Jackman, if anyone's interested!

http://moviemusicuk.us/2012/07/17/abrah … y-jackman/

Jon