• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Nice review James.

It's just an impression I get but it's interesting how poor film music seems to generate more "column inches" than good film music, both in reviews and messageboards.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014
    Complaining is more fun. Though, if drunk, lamenting about your favourite score trumps complaining every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, I love Star Wars. It's the best. More whisky!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Chucks you a whisky! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014 edited
    I've sampled the score on Spotify, and don't get what the big deal is. Sure, a number of the action tracks have a slightly generic RCP sound (more interesting than a lot of its colleagues, I might add), but that is counter-weighed by some absolutely brilliant tracks too -- like the "Winter Soldier" track, which sounds like a hybrid between Elliot Goldenthal and a more industrial-oriented sound. It's brilliantly produced and there's some really interesting textures going on here.

It's a far, far cry from what I consider Jackman's most disappointing score -- ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER -- but not quite as good as the best of his that I've heard so far, i.e. PUSS IN BOOTS. Somewhere inbetween.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014 edited
    Thor vs The World continues...

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    2 mentions of the world brilliant for Captain America 2 score...interesting (btw haven't heard it the whole thing yet)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Thor wrote
    some absolutely brilliant tracks too -- like the "Winter Soldier" track

shockedshockedshockeddizzydizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor, the ultimate film music hipster.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nice review James.

It's just an impression I get but it's interesting how poor film music seems to generate more "column inches" than good film music, both in reviews and messageboards.

It always has and always will. When I did a continuing thread on James Bond scores at our old ScoreReviews board, Dr No generated more conversation than any other Bond score as I remember.

Divisive music creates even more "column inches", Man of Steel being the most recent of a long line.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Thor J Haga This is you man beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    My review of Captain America:

http://www.movie-wave.net/captain-ameri … r-soldier/

Very well written review James.

I can't wait to hear it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I also can't wait for the second coming of Jesus and that huge asteroid that'll wipe Earth off the solar system map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  3. Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

Oustanding! applause biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

He, he...indeed! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And i hear Thor has started a new campaing as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You guys crack me up. Are you insinuating that either I or Jablonsky is a cat?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is Jablo a cat? Fucking hell, if he is, then all is explained!
  4. Thor wrote
    You guys crack me up. Are you insinuating that either I or Jablonsky is a cat?

Well, neither of you can be this awsome:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeoT66v4EHg
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nice review James.

I think I just write more when I'm passionate about something, whether the passion is enthusiastic or despairing.

Since I moved to the Wordpress format (I can only really get reliable stats from that point), my ten most-read reviews in order are:

The Amazing Spider-Man (positive review)
    Skyfall (positive review)
    The Great Miracle (positive review)
    Man of Steel (negative review)
    Rush (positive review)
    The Dark Knight Rises (neutral review)
    The Book Thief (positive review)
    The Tree of Life (positive review)
    Thor: The Dark World (positive review)
    Mirror Mirror (positive review)

I guess people prefer good vibes!

(A couple of surprising entries on that list, too.)
  5. Southall wrote
    The Dark Knight Rises (neutral review)

Remind me never to bother you when you're feeling "neutral". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh, I just re-read it. Perhaps not quite as "neutral" as I had thought.
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I see that Marvel's release of Henry Jackman's score Captain America: The Winter Soldier is on sale as a digital download for £11.50! That's a bit steep.

I am not sure whether Amazon have read your review or not but this album is now listed at the price of £8.50.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. My review of CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/03/20/capta … r-soldier/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014
    Hey Jon, it's got two very decent songs at the end so it wasn't all for nothing. wink

Anyway, good review Jon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014
    I would love to see Jon's and James's reviews get some notoriety from composers and peoples in the 'biz', and perhaps even a reply from Jackman himself (as we're living in age where that seems to happen now). Perhaps someone should point Robert Folk to your reviews. wink
  8. I'm finding it hard to believe this could really be so bad. (Mind you, I haven't heard it, which could be the cure for my unbelief.) Is there any chance the two of you (James and Jon)... I don't know how to say it... could you be... judging this by a different era of scoring? [Many would have found 70s Goldsmith lacked the romanticism and presence (ie. sheer amount of score per inch of film) than the Korngold/Steiner scores of their youth, but next to nobody making films (George Lucas really) saw it otherwise in the 70s. But as we know, Goldsmith was onto something. I'm not suggesting Jackman is in the same boat, mind you...]
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. There is definitely truth to what you said, Michael. I haven't heard the Jackman score yet, but I don't deny it can be bad.

While this is very understandable, I don't think a bias towards a certain way of scoring would help the genre. It's pretty hard to assess what is happening to film music, but, without pointing to any reviewer in particular... I think that the changes in the cinematic language (especially editing) is discussed often enough in that context.

For example Joe Kraemer's great throwback to the 1970s thrillers that Jack Reacher was couldn't be possible musically if the movie didn't stylistically harken at that era, etc. I think it's a relevant discussion subject.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. Steven wrote
    I would love to see Jon's and James's reviews get some notoriety from composers and peoples in the 'biz', and perhaps even a reply from Jackman himself (as we're living in age where that seems to happen now). Perhaps someone should point Robert Folk to your reviews. wink

Composers' reactions may not be favorable to negative reviews.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website