• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The orchestra is fairly standard...

The score reminds me a bit of Herrmann at times... it has that mischievous sense of activity. Melodically-anchored... the melodies that do run through are quite enchanting, which surprised me, as I expected a more abrasive work. Has less Bartok than Amenebar's The Others.

Today in the post finally came for me:
    There Will Be Blood (Greenwood) - yay! like a breath of fresh air (part. 'Future markets')
    Sea of Dreams (Bacalov) - haven't heard it yet
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008 edited
    Thanks Michael! Looking forward to your views on SEA OF DREAMS. Depending on how many listens and your kind of mood, i think there's a slight danger of finding it too Morricone-ish and cheesy or quite beautiful on the contrary; i don't think there's a middle-ground way to view this and i am interested to see where you'll be standing at! Needless to say i am on the latter case wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Goodness, you know I was afraid to get King Arthur at first, because I had heard some negative things - like it was dull or something. But I've been really enjoying it. I had no idea others were too. So that's great! It's nice to know that one out of your two new scores isn't a total dud. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008
    It is, KING ARTHUR is one of Zimmer's most solid efforts and while certainly not the greatest of musical achievements, it's still FUN, loud, grand and ballsy like very few others. I really enjoy every spin of that CD!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    ... it's still FUN, loud, grand and ballsy like very few others.

Indeed, some would even call it...

RARE!!!! shocked shocked shocked

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't do that.....yet wink Kidding aside, i personally miss the days Zimmer scored those films like that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I didn't do that.....yet wink Kidding aside, i personally miss the days Zimmer scored those films like that.

I.....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Went into tha city of Amsterdam today, and came home with:

George Fenton - Planet Earth
    Alan Silvestri - Contact
    Philip Glass - Dracula (Michael Riesmans piano version)

Coming home, I discovered the lovely folks at Sony sent me a reviewpackage containing:

August Rush
    I'm Not There
    Antonio Pinto - Love in the Time of Cholera

That last one was a real surprise, I did not even know it was released on CD yet and thought it was still only an iTunes exclusive!
  4. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Arrived today:

The Orphanage - Fernando Velázquez

Looking forward to listening to this after reading an upcoming review of Velázquez score.

Who?

You're turning into Joep wink

excuse me but The Orphanage is a very good score, think of Sixth Sense but then in my impression better. Anyhoo a link is standing ready, hopefully Alan it can amuse and interest you like it did it for me wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Arrived today:

The Orphanage - Fernando Velázquez

Looking forward to listening to this after reading an upcoming review of Velázquez score.

Who?

excuse me but The Orphanage is a very good score, think of Sixth Sense but then in my impression better. Anyhoo a link is standing ready, hopefully Alan it can amuse and interest you like it did it for me wink

You've picqued my interest there!?

I'll try and check it out sometime.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Who?

Nice Tommy_Boy, nice.. Sounds like you're accusing me of listening to bad scores rolleyes
  5. Joep wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Who?

Nice Tommy_Boy, nice.. Sounds like you're accusing me of listening to bad scores rolleyes

its Timmer who's attacking your choice of scores, not me bud tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Joep wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Who?

Attacking?.....Moi?! wink

I would call it 'having a gentle dig'. Just because I haven't a clue about the scores Joep often buys doesn't mean they're not worthy, considering how much generic trash comes out of Hollywood maybe I should seek out some newer, fresher listening too?
  6. Timmer wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Joep wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Who?

Attacking?.....Moi?! wink

I would call it 'having a gentle dig'. Just because I haven't a clue about the scores Joep often buys doesn't mean they're not worthy, considering how much generic trash comes out of Hollywood maybe I should seek out some newer, fresher listening too?

yeah, that's true, sometimes the best scores are those we don't know off
    that doesn't take away Joep comes with the most obscure scores available wink
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Ok, enough of this crap.

New today, something Franz should listen to:

Rolf de Heer & Graham Tardif - The Tracker (second copy btw)
  7. Joep wrote
    New today, something Franz should listen to:

Rolf de Heer & Graham Tardif - The Tracker (second copy btw)

Too bloody right copper! biggrin

I think I'll take a listen while I throw some shrimp on the barbie...

My memory from the (very good) film was that music would make an interesting companion piece to THE PROPOSITION.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    Rolf de Heer was born in The Netherlands, in case you didn't know. He moved to down under at the age of 8. I also like The Tracker. Ten Canoes though.... Have you seen it? The voice-over is horrible!
  8. Rolf may have come from afar, but we'll forgive him of that. We claim all tourists - long term or short - as our own products. biggrin

I haven't seen TEN CANOES, but most who have fallen into one of two categories: (i) those who find it awkward; (ii) those who take it as a comedy. If you take it too seriously, it might add to the awkwardness.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    I knew it was meant to be funny. I enjoyed seeing the trailer. Then you find out that the fun bits are all ruined by the ungoing voice-over; ''this story is about, we continue our story, now the story''... I wanted to shove his story up his... nose!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    Willem Breuker - De Illusionist

I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with my Dutch score collection, containing almost 70 cd's lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, I started to feel comfortable with my Dutch score collection a year ago! When I bought Zwartboek by Anne Dudley spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008 edited
    Joep wrote
    Willem Breuker - De Illusionist

This is your version of buying a 'mainstream' score? Someone recommended The Illusionist, and this is what you bought? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Oh, I started to feel comfortable with my Dutch score collection a year ago! When I bought Zwartboek by Anne Dudley spin

Is that "black book"? Oh man that gave me the "zzzzzzz's" !
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Is that "black book"? Oh man that gave me the "zzzzzzz's" !

Me too. That's why I was comfortable with having just one Dutch score cool
  9. Arrived yesterday:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Leonard Rosenman
    Rambo - Brian Tyler
    Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Craig Armstrong & A.R. Rahman
    "The Devil Rides Out" - James Bernard (re-recording from several scores)
    Surf's Up - Mychael Danna
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    So Bob, how many Dutch scores do you actually from separate listening experiences or inside the film (vaguely or very clearly)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Arrived yesterday:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Leonard Rosenman
    Rambo - Brian Tyler
    Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Craig Armstrong & A.R. Rahman
    "The Devil Rides Out" - James Bernard (re-recording from several scores)
    Surf's Up - Mychael Danna

Awaiting your views on all of them Alan, especially Rambo and Elizabeth smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How does the surfing penguins score fare?
  10. I had the Star Trek on LP way back and this was me just now replacing this with a CD - it took me ages to find a relatively cheap CD.

Rambo and Elizabeth - The Golden Age I really like. Yes, Tyler's score is nothing new, but like I said elsewhere, what he does do I think he does very well and there are many excellent cues that highlight this for me. AND there's fresh recordings of Goldsmith's themes. Some of the longer atmospheric cues are a bit of low point in Rambo - a style that Goldsmith did a lot better.

I first heard Elizabeth in one of the recent clip competitions and, although I had the impression that this score was meant to be poor, it's really a top-quality listen (in the most part). From the style and instrumentation I'm not sure how the music would sit with the visuals. But as I have no intention of actually seeing the movie I'll just enjoy the creativeness of Armstrong & Rahman.

Surf's Up is a peculiar beast!! I'd say about one-third of the cues will make the transfer to my mp3 player but there's a lot of variable styles on show; some of them a bit too wacky for my liking. The CD itself amounts to a shade under 30 minutes and I'm not sure that the price is justified.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008 edited
    Joep wrote
    So Bob, how many Dutch scores do you actually from separate listening experiences or inside the film (vaguely or very clearly)?

I have never been impressed by Dutch scoring, but I have heard a fair share. Turkish Delight, for example, or Flodder and Abeltje. Several others, as well. Lepel, y'know. All within the film. My favorite remains The Discovery of Heaven, now that is a good one! I also know Soldaat van Oranje is a good one, and I like the theme. But I won't seek out anything on CD, I just think the general quality is subpar.