• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    I guess that fair share could be interpeted as not that much? I can clearly see why people aren't immediately impressed by Dutch scores, but mostly on the basis of such a small number of filmscores. If you dive deeper into it, you'll definitely find some you like. Try Paul M. van Brugge and Loek Dikker if you'll ever feel like it. I think you'll like their scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    Joep wrote
    I guess that fair share could be interpeted as not that much? I can clearly see why people aren't immediately impressed by Dutch scores, but mostly on the basis of such a small number of filmscores. If you dive deeper into it, you'll definitely find some you like. Try Paul M. van Brugge and Loek Dikker if you'll ever feel like it. I think you'll like their scores.

Of course, those weren't all the scores I've heard, I just didn't feel like making a list of everything I know slant And when I've heard a dozen scores within a certain category and am not particularly captivated by it in any way, I just won't investigate more. There are tons of classic scores I haven't heard yet.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    I understand. By the way, Loek Dikker's The Fourth Man and Rogier van Otterloo's Soldier of Orange are considered classics, even globally.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    Joep wrote
    I understand. By the way, Loek Dikker's The Fourth Man and Rogier van Otterloo's Soldier of Orange are considered classics, even globally.

Pushing it!

I've heard of both but haven't seen or heard either.

Like to though. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008
    Bought yesterday right before seeing the movie:

Jonny Greenwood - There Will Be Blood

I already had a bit of an idea what the music was like, but after watching the movie, I was really glad I had the soundtrack!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've gone off purchasing soundtracks for a bit: now that I *finally* got my iPod (and what a little marvel it is) working, I found I still have about two thousand albums to (re)listen to (while I have my mp3 music collection nicely sorted, I very seldom actually *did* anything with it, except listen when I was behind the PC and the opportunity presented itself, which when working on a thesis or trying to steer a projct away from the abyss, isn't as often as I'd have liked).

Now I've loaded a huge chunk of what I have onto my little Magic Machine, adn I'm pretty much sorted for new music for a couple of years to come by the look of things! shocked
    Which won't harm my wallet. smile

However, I *did* of course put an order in for MM's last offering (love it's Poledouris, innit! love ) and, film-music related, Delerue's guitar concerto, which I hold out high hopes for. I love the acoustic, classical guitar and I love Delerue.
    Can't wait for both of them to come in!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atonement - Dario Marianelli

Seventh Tree - Goldfrapp

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Martijn,

I can understand why you are not posting so much at the moment - loading up your "little Magic Machine"!!

Won a few items on eBay and looking forward to listening to them:

El Arte de Morir - Bingen Mendizabal
    Food of Love - Carles Cases
    El Viaje de Carol - Bingen Mendizabal

Also awaiting the arrival of:

The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat
    There Will Be Blood - Jonny Greenwood
    The Astronaut Farmer - Stuart Matthewman
    lick
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    Yes, it's excessive, but I just bought the Half Life 2 soundtrack CD from Ebay, winning with a 65 pound bid. I know, I know, but it's very rare and good music too. I guess I can consider myself an official soundtrack collector now wink Also got my hands on the original Baldur's Gate soundtrack for a cheaper 15 pounds, also rare.

On another note, what is the general opinion of the Water Horse soundtrack? Personally I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008
    John wrote
    Yes, it's excessive, but I just bought the Half Life 2 soundtrack CD from Ebay, winning with a 65 pound bid. I know, I know, but it's very rare and good music too. I guess I can consider myself an official soundtrack collector now wink Also got my hands on the original Baldur's Gate soundtrack for a cheaper 15 pounds, also rare.

On another note, what is the general opinion of the Water Horse soundtrack? Personally I love it.

I think the general opinion solid and enjoyable score, but not one of the composer's very best. Personally, after a lot of listens I think it IS one of Howard's best.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    Add the new Cartographer list to that too. I'll try my best to avoid Disk 1 wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i wouldn't say CD 1st of the new E.S.POSTHUMUS is actually bad; i've been putting all the pieces from both CDs in random playing order and i've been enjoying the overall listening experience the utmost!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I went back to Cheapo today and bought these used:

1) Supergirl (Goldsmith)-I like how one track is credited 75% Goldsmith, 25% Williams. A bit silly.
    2) Dangerous Liaisons (Fenton)
    3) Last Sin Eater (McKenzie)
    4) Grass Harp (P-Williams)-main theme kinda sounds like if Bernstein's "Dana" theme from Ghostbusters had sex with Goldsmith's main theme from Air Force One. A little dissappointing so far.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2008
    The Bourne Ultimatum (John Powell)
    Murder in the First (Christopher Young)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    msia2k75 wrote

Murder in the First (Christopher Young)

First listen? if yes, MAN you're in for such a treat!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Paul Kelly's Lantana
  3. Felt the need for some more 'old-time' film music, so just purchased the following online:

SYMPHONIC IMPRESSIONS OF OMAN (Schifrin)
    KLIMT (Arriagada)
    ILLUSTRATED MAN (Goldsmith)
    MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (Herrmann)
    JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (Herrmann)
    GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD (Rozsa)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited
    The M.A.S.H. soundtrack.

It's the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time. Why the producers of the album thought that people would be interested in - seemingly randomly placed - bits of dialogue on top of the music, I don't know. I'm not even sure if the music even accompanies those particular bits of dialogue. crazy
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Karim Sebastian Elias - Siegfried
    Marcel Barsotti - Kebab Connection

I've seen those two albums on ebay sometime back and didn't know what to make of it. I'm eager to know how they are.

Siegfried is quite o'right. Big orchestra and not very different from serious adventure scores, with some comical music. I've had quite enough of these these ''epic adventurous'' scores, but maybe you haven't wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008
    The Saint Of Fort Washington - James Newton Howard
    Mumford - James Newton Howard

Heard them both before - just got them for completeness. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008
    Just bought The March of the Penguins soundtrack, and Shipping News. Right. That's it for a while. My bank balance is running low!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008 edited
    THE LEGEND OF BUTCH AND SUNDANCE - Basil Poledouris

ALIEN - Jerry Goldsmith
    ( yeah, a bit late I know, but I got there in the end smile )

BILL AND TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY - David Newman

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008
    djdave wrote
    The M.A.S.H. soundtrack.

It's the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time. Why the producers of the album thought that people would be interested in - seemingly randomly placed - bits of dialogue on top of the music, I don't know. I'm not even sure if the music even accompanies those particular bits of dialogue. crazy

Lovely song though?! cool

Used as a great instrumental in the TV series. I've never seen the film or heard the rest of the score?
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    Timmer wrote

Lovely song though?! cool

Used as a great instrumental in the TV series. I've never seen the film or heard the rest of the score?

Absolutely...which is why I wanted the soundtrack. But the producers have seen fit NOT to put either the song - or the instrumental of it - on in its entireity. That's what I meant when I said "crap": the way the CD was put together. And the dialogue...I don't have a problem with dialogue on soundtracks so long as they're separate tracks. Not only is this dialgue over the music, it's appears to have been put on delibereately i.e. isn't like that in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008 edited
    New reviewcopies!

- Paul Englishby - Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
    - Randy Edelman - 27 Dresses
    - Atli Orvarsson - Vantage Point
    - Paul Cantelon - The Other Boleyn Girl
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bob, is the Atli one for a review? 'Cause if you bought it, my condolences!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hehe, yeah, I received all of them for free, to review it indeed wink Heard a bit of Vantage Point this evening, and I can't really say it grabbed my attention tongue
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    Eduard Artemyev - The Inner Circle
  4. Touch of Evil - Mancini
    Mosca Addio - Morricone
    Frank and Jesse - McKenzie
    The Third Man - Karas
    Dressed to Kill - Donaggio
    The Exorcist - Schifrin and others
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    New reviewcopies!

- Paul Englishby - Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
    - Randy Edelman - 27 Dresses
    - Atli Orvarsson - Vantage Point
    - Paul Cantelon - The Other Boleyn Girl

Hmm, I got the same!

27 Dresses, I'm not kidding, is the first film score album I've listened to in years where after it finished I walked around whistling the main theme for hours. I never would have thought it would be Randy Edelman who produced that reaction, which used to happen a lot a decade ago but never happens any more.