• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Just ordered:

The Golden Voyage of Sindbad - Miklos Rozsa, 1974 (Prometheus)

A fine combination of MOVIE MAGIC AND MUSIC punk

...and most apt for this week.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Just ordered:

The Golden Voyage of Sindbad - Miklos Rozsa, 1974 (Prometheus)

A fine combination of MOVIE MAGIC AND MUSIC punk

...and most apt for this week.

Yeah, that's why!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Duck, You Sucker! / A Fistful of Dynamite / Once Upon an Time ... The Revolution - Ennio Morricone

This will complete Leone's "America Trilogy" in my score collection.

I canceled my order for Brian Tylor's Iron Man 3. After listening to the amazon samples once more. I like the main theme but not much more. Not enough to warrant another CD.

Volker

Maybe try watching the film instead? Perhaps because it's film scores we are talking about here, and not pop albums? I mean, maybe trying to see how the score works and gains meaning in the film but also as heard in complete and not under 30-s shitty amazon sample form? maybe?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Duck, You Sucker! / A Fistful of Dynamite / Once Upon an Time ... The Revolution - Ennio Morricone

I canceled my order for Brian Tylor's Iron Man 3. After listening to the amazon samples once more. I like the main theme but not much more. Not enough to warrant another CD.

Volker

Maybe try watching the film instead? Perhaps because it's film scores we are talking about here, and not pop albums? I mean, maybe trying to see how the score works and gains meaning in the film but also as heard in complete and not under 30-s shitty amazon sample form? maybe?

Absolutely! Should I like the score in context I will revise my decision immediately!

V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

Absolutely! Should I like the score in context I will revise my decision immediately!

V.

Really? I've never started enjoying music I didn't previously enjoy just because I now understand how it works in the film.
  3. Didn't a bad in-film score ruin the enjoyment of the album though?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. I love film.
    I love music.

Film music is the overlap of both.

For me film music always remains program music. I perceive it always in relation to its film.

So normaly I become aware of a score by watching a film. (With the exeption of some very few composers I like very much and listen to for their own sake.)

If I like a film I likely will get interested in it's score.
    If I don't like a film I'll have a hard time connecting to the score, without regard to how good it is.

So, it's not an intellectual thing. I don't need to understand how the music works. It's an purely emotional thing. I need to like the film.

For that reason I love some quite mediocre scores: "Ice Pirates" by Bruce Broughton for example.
    For that same reason I have a ton of SciFi scores and very few horror scores. I love the first genre, the latter I don't.

That's why I love CAC score presentations. It allows me to relive the film in a special way.

I hope this rumblings make sense.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Didn't a bad in-film score ruin the enjoyment of the album though?

Occasionally, but not very often really. (There aren't that many scores that I think actively make a film worse, really. Plenty that fail to make it better, but that's different.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    That's why I love CAC score presentations. It allows me to relive the film in a special way.

I hope this rumblings make sense.

Volker

It does make sense, although it's the exact opposite way of listening to soundtracks than my own.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    If I don't like a film I'll have a hard time connecting to the score, without regard to how good it is.

I'm with you on everything except this sentence. You just disregarded about three-quarters of Jerry Goldsmith's scores, for example. First Knight is a laughable film, but Goldsmith scored it for what it should have been, and I have no trouble connecting to that. smile
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I'm with you on everything except this sentence. You just disregarded about three-quarters of Jerry Goldsmith's scores, for example. First Knight is a laughable film, but Goldsmith scored it for what it should have been, and I have no trouble connecting to that. smile

There are exceptions to every rule, of course.
    Besides: Jerry Goldsmith would be one of the composers I listen to without too much regard to the films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

There are exceptions to every rule, of course.
    Besides: Jerry Goldsmith would be one of the composers I listen to without too much regard to the films.

Bad film, great score = i don't care, bring the music on if it's good!
    Good film, bad score = toss the score anyway
    Good film, ok score = the score listening experience on cd might improve tremendously after watching the score work in the film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2013
    Just had a beautiful vintage batch in from Intrada:
    How Green Was My Valley - Alfred Newman
    Those Calloways - Max Steiner
    The Detective/Von Ryan's Express - Jerry Goldsmith
    The Diary Of Anny Frank - Alfred Newman

Was especially happy with the last one, which is one of my favourite Newman scores which so far eluded me on CD...but, as these things invariably happen, when I opened this particular CD it was damaged!
    Well, not just damaged: cracked down the middle! In all my years of soundtrack ordering, I had many dozens of damaged CD cases (to the point of being competely shattered), but I've never had a damaged CD before (leave alone with as major damage as this).
    Bit sad about it. Really wanted to listen to this.

Oh well. Guess it happens.
    I've written to Intrasa to ask if there's anything they can do under the warranty.
    We'll see.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. After tiptoe-ing around this one for a long time a FSM quantitiy alert managed to get me alerted.

I finally ordered The FSM Superman Blue Box.

I know how this things are with me: I decline from a purchase, too much money in one place, not that interested in all the material ... Then suddenly I discover I need this item badly, I also discover it's gone out of print and the price on the secondary marked has skyrocked in lunatic regions.

And then this happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x39-AgyU3Xg

Well, not this time. cheesy

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013 edited
    biggrin

Sounds familiar. VERY familiar!
    Been there, done that, got the ripped T-shirt and the holes in the walls to prove it.

Is the Blue Box going out of print?
    I'm almost tempted...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013
    For me, the only interesting thing about the Blue Box was the new Williams material on SUPERMAN IV (as I already have the perfect Warner release of SUPERMAN and a combo LP-to-CD transfer of 2 and 3), and that was given to me by a friendly fan who had bought the box.

So at this point, I can only sit back and laugh as the hilarity ensues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    confused
    What hilarity?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    confused
    What hilarity?

The hilarity that happens when things go out of print and people go crazy while prices jettison.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oooooh, I see!
    Yes, that does tend to get a tad hysterical....especially in the weeks immediately following.
    Interest does tend to taper off afterwards, though, and especially since the crisis hit, the 'ebay speculators' more often than not have sat on their stocks of unsellable 'collectors items' in vain.

It doesn't belp of course that getting the actual music (if not in a physical state) through rather more illicit means is now a very easy and common alternative.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Just had a beautiful vintage batch in from Intrada:
    How Green Was My Valley - Alfred Newman
    Those Calloways - Max Steiner
    The Detective/Von Ryan's Express - Jerry Goldsmith
    The Diary Of Anny Frank - Alfred Newman

Was especially happy with the last one, which is one of my favourite Newman scores which so far eluded me on CD...but, as these things invariably happen, when I opened this particular CD it was damaged!
    Well, not just damaged: cracked down the middle! In all my years of soundtrack ordering, I had many dozens of damaged CD cases (to the point of being competely shattered), but I've never had a damaged CD before (leave alone with as major damage as this).
    Bit sad about it. Really wanted to listen to this.

Oh well. Guess it happens.
    I've written to Intrasa to ask if there's anything they can do under the warranty.
    We'll see.

How did this turn out? Exactly the same thing happened to me once - I think it was Intrada too, and they sent a replacement immediately when I told them. (From memory it was a limited edition album that had actually sold out in between my order and it actually arriving - so I was happy they had a spare to send out!)
  8. Martijn wrote
    biggrin

Sounds familiar. VERY familiar!
    Been there, done that, got the ripped T-shirt and the holes in the walls to prove it.

Is the Blue Box going out of print?
    I'm almost tempted...

Fewer than 200, as I recall.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Martijn, it now under 100 at SAE!

Well I ordered my copy - which did not arrive today sad - at some other place.

Volker
  10. Rain Man - Hans Zimmer (Preserverance)

From Thor's collection cleanout.

Les than half of what my German vendor would have charged me for a new copy.

I love this board!

cool punk

Volker
  11. Last week when in the cinema for "Ster Trek" they showed a trailer of "Man of Steel" featuring the "Storm" piece from Elizabeth: The Golden Age" (Armstrong). The 2Xth trailer to do so. I found it impressive enaught and finally ordered the CD.

Also ordered: A Beautiful Mind - James Horner and Kon Tiki (physical) - Johan Söderquist

Volker
  12. Varese Sarabande: 35th Anniversary - Various

20€ for 4 CDs, a lot of cues from scores I don't have, so I ordered it.

Volker
  13. Those are great sets. I have the other two. I'll definitely be getting this one.
  14. Les Miserables - Basil Poledouris

A used copy arrived today over the Atlantic. I bought this by Timmer's and Martijn's recommendation. I will lsiten to this sometime tomorrow.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Les Miserables - Basil Poledouris

A used copy arrived today over the Atlantic. I bought this by Timmer's and Martijn's recommendation. I will lsiten to this sometime tomorrow.

Volker

Completely disregard the incorrect track listing and times on the back art. Just put the CD in the player and press play. What a horribly produced CD that one is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2013
    Incorrect track listings or not, the album works wonderfully as a listening experience.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Thor wrote
    Incorrect track listings or not, the album works wonderfully as a listening experience.

I wish they hadn't edited the track into suites, though.