• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    Incorrect track listings or not, the album works wonderfully as a listening experience.

I wish they hadn't edited the track into suites, though.

yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2013
    I absolutely LOVE the suite approach to soundtracks, and wish more did it. Especially if they reconceptualize the music AS suites (in this case, however, I believe they've merely merged a number of tracks).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. If I went to SAE and all I found were 30 minute, non busy, electronic scores in suite form only, I'd shoot myself.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. justin boggan wrote
    If I went to SAE and all I found were 30 minute, non busy, electronic scores in suite form only, I'd shoot myself.

And that's why it's a good thing we don't live in Thor's world. wink
  4. Ordered, not sent:

The Missouri Breaks - John Williams
    Tinker Bell - Joe McNeely
    Star Trek Insurrection (expanded) - Jerry Goldsmith
    Caprica (series) - Bear McCreary

What are you waiting for? cheesy

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013 edited
    RP: The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe - Robert Mellin & Gian-Piero Reverberi

I bought this CD on the basis of its main theme, which is, as Timmer might put it, a corker!
    Interestingly the CD booklet speaks of 'nostalgia value'...I have never seen the series: it was broadcast in 1964, and as far as I was able to ascertain, never aired in The Netherlands. There is a second-hand nostalgia element as the eighties/nineties electronics group Art Of Noise brought out an updated version in 1989 which went right up the charts....but here's the really weird thing: I recognised the theme even back then, with a real strong emotional connection too. Not "Oh yeah. Nice.", but more like "Oh my god! Yes! That's...that's ...what the hell IS that again???"!
    I have no idea where or how I could have possibly been exposed to it before. spin

Anyway, Mellin and Reverberi are clearly steeped in the early sixties pop tradition: there's loads of 'twang' guitar, 'surf sound' and harpsichord throughout the overall extremely catchy and enjoyable tracks. It's all quite light and lovely, with the two main themes making welcome appearances throughout.

The CD is in mono. Heck, it's 1964 French TV scoring. What'd you expect?
    But the sound is beautifully cleaned up and crystal clear. In fact, were it not for being monaural, technically it could have been recorded yesterday. Kudos to sound engineer Mark Ayres on this one!

The CD is rounded off in stereo by a 7 minute suite rendition of all the major themes, by Nic Raine and the City Of Prague Philharmonic. This has been available before on several compilation CDs, but it's still a fine addition and a very rewarding performance.

The CD is only 7 quid at the SIlva Screen store (a pound cheaper than the MP3 download...go figure! dizzy ), and I recommend it wholeheartedly to those who enjoy the lighter (sixties) side of scoring in the Barbarella vein...or to those who simply can't get enough of that magnificent theme.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013 edited
    ^
    WHAT. A. THEME. punk

I love that whole album, just brilliant TV scoring, inspired and BRILLIANT!

I love how this track, ADRIFT, keeps you in it's percussive clutches until releasing you into thematic joy at the 1.50'ish mark. love

Martijn, you've given this album the BIG-UP it is so worthy of. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013
    I don't have any connection to that, but I love the series JACK HOLBORN, which aired in the early 80's. Similar 'vibe'. Great music too.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    I don't have any connection to that, but I love the series JACK HOLBORN, which aired in the early 80's. Similar 'vibe'. Great music too.

You have the theme? No? Do you want it? Let me know!

Given, that the German score was used in Norway, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8u8l9p5qQw

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013
    No, I don't have the theme, but I've listened to it (and other suite bits) on Youtube in later years. Strangely, it didn't ignite immediate nostalgia when I did. Guess it's one of those rare cases where you remember the series well, but not the music. Which is strange, because the music is very bold and thematic.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Twin Peaks Music - Season Two Music and More - Angelo Badalamenti

Screenplaying - Mark Knopfler

Volker
  7. Princess Mononoke by Joe Hisaishi
    arrived this morning.

This marks the 800th entry in my score collection excel chart. Matrix Reloaded (LLL) will be Nr. 801 when it arrives one of these days. And then Hobbit II if nothing else comes my way.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013
    Behind can't begin to describe how many I've yet to listen to. I just listened to "The Pleasure of His Company"/Alfred Newman. While not one I'll remember it was pleasant. Very very Hollywood.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013
    Hmmmm, that's a shame. I was hoping for something more memorable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Captain Future wrote

Volker

Can you describe how this one sounds?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013
    SCREENPLAYING is probably one of the first soundtracks -- and probably also CD's -- that I ever got back in the early 90's. I remember that with the exception of a few cues, I didn't like it that much at the time. It sounded a bit "tinny" and basically just Knopfler substituting the studio album recording with a film music album recording (little sense of proper drama).

But that was then. I wonder how I would have felt today. I sold the CD some time in the early 2000s.

You asked about the sound. It's mostly in a quite gaelic idiom. Irish-flavoured with Knopfler's trademark guitars.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. justin boggan wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

Can you describe how this one sounds?

Sorry, but I can't. I hope I come round to listen to it during this weekend. Today though I go campaining with our local "Team Merkel". You know, the general election is due here tomorrow.

smile Volker
  10. Captain Future wrote
    Sorry, but I can't. I hope I come round to listen to it during this weekend. Today though I go campaining with our local "Team Merkel". You know, the general election is due here tomorrow.

shocked rolleyes
  11. I've been with them since I joined the "Junge Union" (the conservative paty's youth organization) as a high school student. Such is live, Edmund. Truth, justice and humanitas are not reserved to the political left. wink
  12. Captain Future wrote
    I've been with them since I joined the "Junge Union" (the conservative paty's youth organization) as a high school student. Such is live, Edmund. Truth, justice and humanitas are not reserved to the political left. wink

War ja nur'n Spass. Ich geh ja morgen das erste Mal waehlen...die CDU wirds definitiv nicht sein. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013 edited
    I think you'll be outnumbered, Edmund.
    ...which wouldn't be very bad news for the rest of Europe (well...not for The Netherlands at any rate wink )
  13. Martijn wrote
    I think you'll be outnumbered, Edmund.
    ...which wouldn't be very bad news for the rest of Europe (well...not for The Netherlands at any rate wink )

Yeah, but I've been pretty much resigned to that fact since the election began. Peer Steinbrueck isn't exactly the most inspiring of candidates - he's not a bad politician, but he isn't at all capable of seriously challenging Merkel. Then again, I won't vote SPD either. And the good thing about the German political system (unlike the other country I voted for recently) is that voting for the smaller parties actually makes a difference!

The other good thing, of course, is that even the more conservative German parties are nothing compared to the Republicans. freezing
  14. The Matrix Reloaded (2003) - Don Davis

Remastered and expanded on LLL. Arrived with the mail this morning.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013
    These just came in:
    - For Those I Loved (Au Nom De Tous Les Miens) - Maurice Jare
    Have owned it on vinyl for decades.
    - The White Dawn - Henry Mancini
    Hope the full score lives up to the AWESOME suite! (I could have sworn it was just 'White Dawn' though, without the 'the').
    - The Pleasure Of His Company - Alfred Newman
    It's Newman. smile

...and the vinyl re-issue of Murray Gold's Doctor Who!
    I had the CD since forever, but the idea of having this on vinyl as well was simply too awesome to resist!
  15. I just ordered the Spartacus (Alex North) box from Varese directly.

That way it seemed considerably cheaper than from German vendors.
    Does anyone here have that box?

knight Volker
  16. And now Spartacus arrived at my parent's place where I use to have parcels delivered. I think I'll leave it there till Friday. I'll enjoy this set over christmas.

Volker
  17. Ben Hur (Rozsa) - FSM box ... finally
    Contact - Alan Silvestry

and of course

The Book Thief - John Williams
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore
  18. Captain Future wrote
    And now Spartacus arrived at my parent's place where I use to have parcels delivered. I think I'll leave it there till Friday. I'll enjoy this set over christmas.

Volker

Upon opening the package I found the jewel cases destroyed and falling apart. crazy Luckily the CDs themselves were not damaged. As I found out you can buy quad jewel cases, too. I have never bought such a one before. So this will be easily mended. It's still annoying.
  19. Yeah, that's too bad.
  20. Today in the mail:

The Hobbit II - Howard Shore (Standard Edition)
    The Hobbit II - Howard Shore (Special Edition)

High Noon - Dimitri Tiomkin (SAE)
    The release of "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" reminded me of the fact, that this icon of western film music was still missing from my collection. I long had Tex Ritter's London Recording of the theme song. Now I have the film version, too.

Crossed Swords - Maurice Jarre
    Timmer made me aware of this one. How could I resist?

Fantastic Voyage - Lauerence Rosenman (FSM)
    I got this collector's icon used in mint condition for 38 €. A reasonable price methinks.

Volker