• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Today arrived:

The Beastmaster - Lee Holdrige
    A Passage to Inidia - Maurice Jarre
    The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes - Mikloz Rozsa

All by Quartet Records.

The Lord of the Rings Symphony - Howard Shore

I was able to buy a special pirced new copy with broken plastic trays. The damage doesen't really matter though.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Today my copy of Blown Away (Silvestri) arrived. I'm looking forward to playing it very very loudy (seeing as I also received a letter that seriously pissed me off). Come on Alan, let's do this!
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2014
    John Wayne at Fox, a new release from kritzerland. Haven't listened to it yet.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014 edited
    Bit of a haul over the last few weeks:

* Bandolero - Jerry Goldsmith. A classic. Long overdue in my collection
    * The List Of Adrian Messenger - Jerry Goldsmith. Timmer says it's good. He better be right...
    * The Adventurer (The Curse Of The Midas Box) - Fernando Velázquez. Loved the samples!
    * Knights Of Badassdom - Bear McCreary. Absolutely awful, asinine title, but what a score! Uillean pipes, electric guitars and huge themes abound!
    * The Warriors - Barry DeVorzon. Apparently an eighties' electronics pioneer? I appear to like these more than I used to think, so let's see...
    * À Vous De Jouer, Milord - François de Roubaix. Again: the samples over at musicboxrecords.com sounded fantastic.
    * Hold-up / Dernier Été À Tanger - Serge Franklin. You know, the French Music Box Records (together with Spanish Quartet Records, Russian KeepMoving Records and Canadian Disques Cinemusiques) are becoming my favourite haven of The Great and Undiscovered in soundtracks!
    * The Pit And The Pendulum - Richard Band. His most lavish horror score to date. Love it!
    * The AVA Collection - Elmer Bernstein. Collection of six albums, all previously released, but containing two of my all time favourites (Walk On The Wild Side and Movie And TV themes), from pristine sources rather than vinyl copies!

Got me some listening to do! lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2014
    Martijn wrote
    * The List Of Adrian Messenger - Jerry Goldsmith. Timmer says it's good. He better be right...

freezing

My copy took ages to come through ( arrived Friday ), I was on the verge of enquiring Varese. I never got the confirmations by e-mail either.

Oh well, it's here now. Let me know what you think of it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. RoboCop - Basil Poledouris (Intrada)
    A new copy with a reasonable prise tag compared to what prises I see this album is offered for.

The Portrait of a Lady - Wojciech Kilar
    A used copy in mint condition.

Volker
  4. Young Sherlock Holmes - Bruce Broughton (Intrada)

Mac and Me - Alan Silvestri (Quartet)

Not in the mood for listening to music right now. In the course of the weekend I hope, I will be again.

Volker
  5. My list of scores received in the mail over the past week:

- A Time of Destiny - Ennio Morricone (Quartet Records)
    - The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of Unicorn - John Williams
    - Godzilla - David Arnold (BSX)
    - Godzilla - Alexandre Desplat
    - Rush - Hans Zimmer
  6. Picked up this oddity today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dollars-More-Co … mp;sr=1-74

Listed as the "Complete Original Score" to Morricone's For A Few Dollars More, this release runs to 70 minutes and seems like just a recreation of the film running order, i.e., there are lots of repeats and passages that are slightly varied.

It sounds as though this is a synth recreation of the score and they have tried very hard to recreate the whole feel of the score. Looking at other releases from this label (Recording Arts) it may be played by the "Solisti e Orchestre del Cinema Italiano" - which sounds to me like one of these cheap-and-cheerful synth orchestras so common in digital releases.

Another interesting release is the digital release of the original tracks of Dimitri Tiomkin's It's A Wonderful Life on the Red Bitch Music label. It's interesting in that the track listing is exactly the same as Kritzerland's recent release of Tiomkin's score. Bruce Kimmel was pretty annoyed when I asked him about another recent release of this score (on the Marmot Music label) which turned out to be just a release of the well-known live re-recording of the score. I'm not sure how he'd react to the Red Bitch Music label release. It does sound though that Kritzerland's release has cleaned up the audio somewhat compared to the Red Bitch Music version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderful-Life- … erful+life
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I once bought the expanded edition of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and found that I prefer the album edit. Brilliant as it is, there is too much repitition and variation of the same. So, I'II pass on that ^ one.

Volker
  8. I roamed the city of Munich today. There is a famous store "Ludwig Beck" in the very center (Marienplatz) of the city. They have one of the finest music departments in Germany. No pop, but classical music, jazz and other genres, film music among them. As always I left a small fortune there:

Film Music:

Psycho - Bernhard Herrmann / Varese Sarabande: Joel McNeely
    King Kong - Max Steiner / Sony: Oirginal Recording. In addition to the Naxxos re-recording I already own.
    The Cotton Club - Duke Ellington / John Barry
    The Avengers et al - Laurie Johnson / Varese Sarabande

Classical:

Alan Hovhaness: Symphonies 4, 20, 53
    Alan Hovhaness: Symphonies 1, 50 / Both on Naxos

Electronica:

Jean Michel Jarre: Cities in Concert Houston Lyon
    (That one I bought in another place.)

Now I shall talk to my landlord back home regarding the rent for August. cheesy wink

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014
    What a fine haul.

The Cotton Club is a great album ( you do know it's jazz don't you Captain? wink ), a shame there's only two score tracks from John Barry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Timmer wrote
    What a fine haul.

The Cotton Club is a great album ( you do know it's jazz don't you Captain? wink )

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014
    Jean Michel Jarre: Cities in Concert Houston Lyon
    (That one I bought in another place.)

I can talk about that album forever. It's the one that made me interested in electronic music, Jean Michel Jarre and ultimately film music, in many ways. a HUGE cornerstone in my music listening history.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014
    I may have gone a bit overboard in Intrada's recent blow-out...

* Back To The Future - Alan Silvestri
    The 2-CD version. I already know it's WAY too long for my liking, but I kinda like the archival quality of the release.
    * First Blood (extended) - Jerry Goldsmith
    Love this score, but it's a bit of a gamble: an extended release often isn't nearly as good a listening experience as the original album. But we'll see. There are notable exceptions.
    * The Spy Who Came In From The Cold - Sol Kaplan
    I only know Kaplan from his work on STar Trek, but I loved the clips!
    * Judith - Sol Kaplan
    Ditto
    * Once Is Not Enough - Henry Mancini
    Beautiful, beautiful theme. I hope the rest of the score is as good.
    * Rio Conchos - Jerry Goldsmith
    About time I filled this void in my collection
    * Transformers: The Movie - Vince DiCola
    ...OK. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I got caught up in the moment and wild bouts of nostalgia.
    * The Twelve Choruses - Miklos Rozsa
    I actually already own this recording, on Prometheus...and to be honest: it wasn't very good. But I think it was the Captain who suggested the sound quality and mixing was much improved. So here's hoping...
    * The Miracle - Elmer Bernstein
    Yeah, it's in mono..but the clips were VERY good, witha lot of massive "religious sound", which I love.
    * Solar Crisis - Maurice Jarre
    I really liked the excerpt on Tadlow's Maurice Jarre rerecordings set.
    * The Mountain Men - Michel Legrand
    The clips sounded nice. We'll see.
    * Lost In Space - Bruce Broughton
    Steven sung the praises of this one. So it had better be good.
    * Night Crossing - Jerry Goldsmith
    Not read very much about this release, but again: the clips sounded really good!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

And you better like it! angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

And you better like it! angry

I like it a lot too. Very complex orchestrations, I wouldn't bet loads of dosh on you loving it though. We'll see?
  10. Martijn wrote

* The Twelve Choruses - Miklos Rozsa
    I actually already own this recording, on Prometheus...and to be honest: it wasn't very good. But I think it was the Captain who suggested the sound quality and mixing was much improved. So here's hoping...

So I did. It's a brand new recording though, are you aware of that?

Someone stated that he thought the chorus on the Prometheus Recording was somewhat off. (Whatever that means.) I have no problem with the performance of the Prometheus chorus.

The overall sound quality of the Intrada release is much better. That does not come as a surprise, given that the Prometheus recording was made about 30 years ago.

Apart from that both recordings are different. Just as no two recordings of Beethoven's Ninth sound exactely the same. These twelve pieces are so great that it is nice to have two distinct recordings of them.

I big bonus on the Intrada album is a concert piece, a scoring of Psalm 23.

I'd very much like to learn your opinion about the Intrada release.

wink Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great haul, Martijn. My favourite of those may actually be the one you're skeptical about -- the TRANSFORMERS disc.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Picked up this oddity today:

Listed as the "Complete Original Score" to Morricone's For A Few Dollars More, this release runs to 70 minutes and seems like just a recreation of the film running order, i.e., there are lots of repeats and passages that are slightly varied.

It sounds as though this is a synth recreation of the score and they have tried very hard to recreate the whole feel of the score. Looking at other releases from this label (Recording Arts) it may be played by the "Solisti e Orchestre del Cinema Italiano" - which sounds to me like one of these cheap-and-cheerful synth orchestras so common in digital releases.

On the back of the "Complete Original Score" release of For A Few Dollars More, the same treatment has been done for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ennio-Morricone … mp;sr=1-95

As with the previous score, it's released on the Recording Arts label and is an attempt to recreate the complete original score as heard in the film. Some of it works very well and some not so. Both "The Ecstasy of Gold" and "The Trio" tracks do lack a certain amount of presence compared with the originals, but there are some nice little touches included - e.g., the solo percussion of the final sequence when Eastwood is riding off from Wallach. From start to finish the score runs to just over 75 minutes and a few alternates pad out the release to a generous 95 minutes worth of music.

On balance I'd say that it's worth a listen - and that's coming from someone who usually steers clear of non-OST versions of scores!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. Not for me. I already prefer the LP master to the 2004 expanded remaster.
  13. FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Picked up this oddity today:

On the back of the "Complete Original Score" release of For A Few Dollars More, the same treatment has been done for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ennio-Morricone … mp;sr=1-95

As with the previous score, it's released on the Recording Arts label and is an attempt to recreate the complete original score as heard in the film. Some of it works very well and some not so. Both "The Ecstasy of Gold" and "The Trio" tracks do lack a certain amount of presence compared with the originals, but there are some nice little touches included - e.g., the solo percussion of the final sequence when Eastwood is riding off from Wallach. From start to finish the score runs to just over 75 minutes and a few alternates pad out the release to a generous 95 minutes worth of music.

On balance I'd say that it's worth a listen - and that's coming from someone who usually steers clear of non-OST versions of scores!

And now - for completeness' sake - Recording Arts have just released their third album featuring "extended and complete" versions of Morricone's Dollars trilogy.

This final album is a re-recording of the first film, A Fistful of Dollars:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ennio-Morricone … mp;sr=1-81

As with the previous two releases, there's parts where they succeed and other areas where they don't do so well at re-creating Morricone's original. The titles is done reasonably well, and there are several highlights throughout the album - particularly when it comes to making previously unreleased material available. But the relatively poor quality of the strings, woodwind and brass samples lets the listening experience down (sometimes quite badly). And for these aspects of the re-recording of a Morricone Spaghetti Western score to be sub-par is a major drawback.

Perhaps the weakest of the 3 releases, it's perhaps worth it to finish the set and to support an admirable project.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2014
    KATMANDU - Pascal Gaigne

LA REVOLUTION FRANCAISE - Georges Delerue
  14. Those CDs found their way into my collection today:

Son of Batman (2014) - Frederik Wiedmann
    Field of Lost Shoes (2014)- Frederik Wiedmann
    The Beyondness of Things (1998) - John Barry

I hope to comment on them in the course of the weekend.

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2014
    Captain Future wrote

The Beyondness of Things (1998) - John Barry

Sublime album! cool beer
  15. You sure also own Eternal Echoes. What do you think?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2014
    I really love Eternal Echoes too though it is a lesser effort than TBOT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014
    Whoah! A great many orders came in all at once!

* Predator 2 - Alan Silverstri
    I caved when I heard the sound quality was much better than the original release
    * The Wild Side - Elmer Bernstein
    A rerecording with the big band of the canaries of some of Bernstein's jazz themes. Greattttt!!!
    * The Adventurers - Antonio Carlos Jobim, arranged by Quincy Jones, played by the Ray Brown Orchestra. Yeah, we remain steadfast in jazz mode!
    * Fringe - Michael Giacchino (& Chris Tilton & Chad Seiter)
    Great show, pretty darn good early Giacchino score!
    * Alias - Michael Giacchino
    So-so show, but some of the finest work Giacchino ever did! Exceiting, precussive and creative!
    * A Prayer For The Dying - Bill Conti
    Conti is very hit or miss with me, but I REALLY liked the sound clip previews: Irish goings-on with bodhrans and fiddles, begorrah to be sure!
    * Sahara - Ennio Morricone
    Thematic, non-avant garde Morricone. Like.
    * The Pink Panther Strikes Again - Henry Mancini
    My favourite Pink Panther movie. So yeah, I'm buying this mostly for nostalgic reasons. It's not the best Mancini ever did for the series...but it's still pretty damn good!
    * Shaft - David Arnold
    One word: FINALLY!!!!!!
    * One The Waterfront - Leonard Bernstein
    Some one word as above. Bloody iconic!
    * Les Onze Mille Verges - Michel Colombier
    I think it was Thor who sung the praises of this? Anyway, bit of a gamble.

And then there's a SLEW of CDs came in from Kronos, as I greedily went through their sales page.
    Almost none of these films or scores I ever even heard of before, but the clips were most promising!
    * Welcome To The Jungle - Karl Preusser [Jean-Claude van Damme in a reality show going badly wrong]
    * My Nikifor - Bartek Gliniak [biopic of a strange, recluse Polish painter]
    * The Little Wizard - Marc Timón Barceló [an animation film. I liked Barceló's Pompei a lot!]
    * The Ungodly - Carles Cases [some of his great work for Lovecraft-inspired films]
    * Four Assassins - Andre Matthias [no idea, but the sound clips were great!]
    * Africa To-day - Piero Umiliani [an old documentary, with some great funky and folk work]
    * Lethe/Days Like Years - Christoph Zirngibl [everything about this CD oozes melancholy. So naturally I want it.]
    * The Light Thief - Andre Matthias [I KNOW Thor was enthusiastic about THIS one. And I find when our tastes match, they REALLY match!]
    * Anita - Marco Werba [no clue, but once again I really liked the clips]

Kronos' Godwin was even kind enough to throw in a bonus CD: Giallo - Marco Werba. What a lovely gesture! (I have to say that from our communications, Godwin comes across as one of the nicest guys in the soundtrack community. That makes ordering at Kronos always a pleasure.)

So, yeah, too bad I don't have proper holidays (I do have the Christmas days off, of course!), as I got me some listening to do! shocked
  16. Martijn wrote
    * Fringe - Michael Giacchino (& Chris Tilton & Chad Seiter)
    Great show, pretty darn good early Giacchino score!

a) Giacchino only contributed maybe two cues to that score, the two names in brackets did the lion's share.

b) First season of Fringe came out in 2008 - post-Incredibles, Ratatouille, M:I 3, up to season 4 of Lost - not what I'd call "early Giacchino".

Those have been my nitpicks of the day. If you feel the sudden urge to squash me like an irritating bug, I understand completely.
  17. Martijn wrote

* Sahara - Ennio Morricone
    Thematic, non-avant garde Morricone. Like.

When I listened to that score today I thought that some of the action cues have a nice touch of avant-garde.

smile Volker