• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014
    Great haul, Martijn!

You're right that I enjoy LES ONZES MILLES VERGES and THE LIGHT THIEF.

Other gems here too, like THE LITTLE WIZARD and ANITA. And of course the 'big titles' that everyone enjoys.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Five hours of Barry Gray's music for Thunderbirds, courtesy of Fanderson Records, has just arrived. Looking forward to dipping into these 4 CDs!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. It's amazing how much you take a living composers work for granted. So many scores that you consider middling by their standards become coveted once they're gone. With James Horner's passing, I've realized there are a number of his scores that are out of print and not available on itunes that I've been meaning to buy for a long time, but just haven't. There were all easily available on Amazon as used CDs for now, but I'm afraid they won't be for much longer. So today I bought:

SNEAKERS
    THE PELICAN BRIEF
    AN AMERICAN TAIL
    DAD
    THE PAGEMASTER
    COURAGE UNDER FIRE
    THE MAN WITHOUT A FACE

The first three I'm already pretty familiar with. I'm not so familiar with the last four.
  3. Dad : one of his loveliest themes
    The Pagemaster : an excellent swashbuckler, fun all the way
    Courage under fire : the 10 minute track is a precursor to Titanic's action music
    The Man without a Face : simply gorgeous, enough said

You won't be disappointed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015
    An American Tail - James Horner

The score was on iTunes a few days ago for $5.99 before it was withdrawn and made again available today for $9.99.
    Oh well...
    I've seen the animation a number of times when I was very little but I don't recall much about it. Looking forward to listening to this tonight!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015 edited
    Humaid wrote
    An American Tail - James Horner

The score was on iTunes a few days ago for $5.99 before it was withdrawn and made again available today for $9.99.
    Oh well...
    I've seen the animation a number of times when I was very little but I don't recall much about it. Looking forward to listening to this tonight!

That's one of the scores I bought on iTunes a few days ago! I have fond memories of the film -- one of the few remaining cinema experiences I remember from my childhood (although I keep confusing it with THE RESCUERS) -- but the music is the draw.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015
    Very nostalgic listen so far. What a main theme. I guess this is what I'm gonna miss the most about Horner.

My grievance with some score releases on iTunes is that there are no linear notes or at least full score credits.
    For instance, I had to go to imdb.com to check who the orchestrator was on this score.
  5. I just got ordered a used copy of that score and it arrive today. I've still got to get the sequel, though. I think the melody of that song from the sequel is just gorgeous.
  6. I think Fievel Goes West is the better of the two, lovely as the first one is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. All physical purchases:

Chain Reaction (Deluxe Ed.) (Jerry)
    Braveheart (Expanded) (Jimmy)
    The Force Awakens (Johnny)
    The Hateful 8 (Ennio-y) smile

To be delivered january 2016 (ordered at Chris' Soundtrack Corner):
    Total Recall (new release) (Jerry)
    Home Alone (25th Ann. Ed.) (Johnny W.)
    Dances With Wolves (25th Ann. Ed.) (Johnny B.)

punk
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    All physical purchases:

Chain Reaction (Deluxe Ed.) (Jerry)
    Braveheart (Expanded) (Jimmy)
    The Force Awakens (Johnny)
    The Hateful 8 (Ennio-y) smile

To be delivered january 2016 (ordered at Chris' Soundtrack Corner):
    Total Recall (new release) (Jerry)
    Home Alone (25th Ann. Ed.) (Johnny W.)
    Dances With Wolves (25th Ann. Ed.) (Johnny B.)

punk

you sir just ordered your own Christmas present for under the tree smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. confused
  10. I spent way too much money on scores lately:

- JAWS
    - JAWS II
    - Braveheart
    - Dances With Wolves
    - The Monkey King
    - Back to the Future
    - Back to the Future II
    - Hateful Eight
    - The Force Awakens

OK, no scores in January I guess, since insurance companies will plunder my bank account for their annual share. slant

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. No Marty and Doc travel to the Far West?

It's a great release, but the source cues... never again... not even if you give me a thousand bucks to listen to them again!!!! dizzy
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    confused

you just ordered yourself a Christmas present that would be perfect for under the Christmas tree
  13. But ... but ... christmas is one week in the past ... !!!!! Or 51 weeks in the future. tongue
  14. These two Tadlow releases:

THE BLUE MAX 2-CD SET

EPIC HOLLYWOOD: THE MUSIC OF MIKLOS ROZSA 2-CD SET

Hell yes baby ! beer
  15. DreamTheater wrote
    These two Tadlow releases:

THE BLUE MAX 2-CD SET

Hell yes baby ! beer

Yeah, keep going for the good old classics wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016
    Miklos Rozsa - conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    Miklos Rozsa conducts his Great Film Music
    Rozsa conducts Rozsa

love

The Deutsche Grammophon/Polydor album series.
    I have waited forever for these to be released on CD, and now my patience is exhausted.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  16. Have those been released on CD or did you buy the LPs?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016
    I bought the LPs.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    These two Tadlow releases:

THE BLUE MAX 2-CD SET

Hell yes baby ! beer

I've listened to the new Rozsa release 3 times and in my opinion I prefer the older Telarc Three Choral Suites. This has always been one of my favorites in my collection. The orchestra seems to be more alive. The sound is good but the tempo seems to be slow for my taste.
    listen to more classical music!
  17. Slow is good. Slow saves lives.

Slowly the world turns. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    1600 km/hr is SLOW to you? shocked
  18. Think cosmically. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oooookay.... so 30 km per second is slow to you? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016 edited
    Compared to solar winds, we appear to be standing still.

From wikipedia:

"The solar winds flow outward supersonically at varying speeds depending on their origin reaching up to around one million miles per hour"
  19. DreamTheater wrote
    Think cosmically. tongue

Oh, cosmically? Like light throughout the universe, which is moving at the speed of light? Or the solar system's speed of an estimated 420,000 MPH? Or giant clouds of hot gas expelled from some galaxies, calculated to be moving at 99.9% of the speed of light?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  20. You lost me at unvierse.

Science is awesome, but way over my head. wink