• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Arrived today:

Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) - Edwin Astley

Three CDs worth of music composed by Astley for this late-'60s/early-'70s TV show. It's going to take a while to fully digest this (almost) 3 hour, 200+ track extravaganza or harpsicord-laden delight. And I'm sure that I'll cherry-pick the most interesting tracks down into a more manageable listen.

I'm really looking most to hearing the various forms of the main theme that Astley used throughout the series - as well as more unfamiliar, episode-specific compositions.

I'd read elsewhere of other peoples' disappointment that the opening and closing theme cues seemed to be culled from a source other than the original 1/4-inch monoaural tapes (sounds like they may have been sourced from acetates) but finding better sounding (and expanded) versions from places like YouTube make this a minor quibble.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    EYE OF THE DEVIL - Gary McFarland

This one's sounds quite interesting! I've not put my money down for this one yet, so I'd be interested to hear your opinion, Tim.

Will do! smile

just got confirmation that it's shipped, usually turns up within a couple of days from that point.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    How's that mate?

Mrs Parker and the Vicious Circle (Isham)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    How's that mate?

Oh, I love that one!
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    How's that mate?

When I have it, you shall know. It's a jazz score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    -Se-Hyeon Im's Dae Jang Geum:
    Absolutely one of the best South Korean scores. Piano solo's, asian strings, abnormal woodwind performances, some cues with the best solo tenor for a score ever (if there even were any other good examples), very soft melodies and a women just humming nonsense... It's very relaxing, mystical, emotional music.

-Joe Hisaishi's The Sun Also Rises
  3. Joep wrote
    -Joe Hisaishi's The Sun Also Rises

I quite like this score.

One could say it reminded me of why people call him 'the Japanese John Williams'. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Must neutralize the Franz threat crazy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I just bagged a copy of the score for Transformers for $7! I swear something's going to go wrong though as the second cheapest I could find was over $90. rolleyes

How many copies of this were printed? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    I just bagged a copy of the score for Transformers for $7! I swear something's going to go wrong though as the second cheapest I could find was over $90. rolleyes

You paid money for this? Seriously?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I paid $7. That's about 3 pounds over here! dizzy Assuming the supplier actually has it, who wouldn't want a copy for that price?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote

You paid money for this? Seriously?

LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    I paid $7. That's about 3 pounds over here! dizzy Assuming the supplier actually has it, who wouldn't want a copy for that price?

Me. I would have paid you to take my copy off me (and would have paid you more if you also took The Island, which is probably even worse).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ''We regret to inform you that Transformers [Soundtrack] [Import] [Audio CD] Stev has been listed in error. We are processing a refund. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.''

Why am I not surprised. rolleyes Do you still have a copy you want to get rid of?

4 to 6 weeks until I can get a refund?! F**KERS! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Anthony wrote
    ''We regret to inform you that Transformers [Soundtrack] [Import] [Audio CD] Stev has been listed in error. We are processing a refund. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.''

Why am I not surprised. rolleyes Do you still have a copy you want to get rid of?

Same thing happened to me. And I actually lost $42 in the process.

Gives me another reason to hate Zimmer clones...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008
    elenewton wrote
    Anthony wrote

Same thing happened to me. And I actually lost $42 in the process.

Gives me another reason to hate Zimmer clones...

Man I hate hearing stories like these. Especially when money is lost in the process!

Unexceptable!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Burkhard Dallwitz (and more) - The Truman Show
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

Which shop was that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joep wrote
    Burkhard Dallwitz (and more) - The Truman Show

Absolutely beautiful music, especially track 13 (if i recall correctly), "reunion" which is breathtakingly touching, especially if you've watched the movie before. Have you btw? Or have you heard any of the latest Dallwitz scores from last year or so? I am deeply interested in those but i don't know if they've been released or if anyone heard them whatsoever.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Which shop was that?

It was Caiman (caiman.com)., but it was a listing on Amazon. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Which shop was that?

Yeah, they suck.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Which shop was that?

Yeah, they suck.

&*%$£!!! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008 edited
    Sometimes Caiman is very fast, but occasionally they need weeks to ship an order.

Refunds are always done within a few days. confused
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well I just got my money back which is a good thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Once I found Rat Race in an Amazon listing for only $30 (this was when the cheapest previous buy I'd seen was around $50). I bought it instantly, then about a day later I got an email that said it was out of stock. I was like #$%&! why list it on amazon if you don't actually have it!?

Then, a few days later, I received the score in the mail. confused
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I had an odd experience when I ordered Signs and Legends Of The Fall from Amazon.co.uk when I received an email telling me that my order would not arrive until a further three weeks. Seconds after closing the email, they shot through the letterbox. I was like WTF?
  4. Purchased myself

- Stardust by Ilan Eshkeri
    - The Promise by Klaus Badelt
    - Mathilda by David Newman

I have heard all 3, its time to finally have them for real and not on CDR anymore wink
    Even though I must say several tracks of Mathilda aren't on the bootleg, and my god one of them sounds sublime shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    I had an odd experience when I ordered Signs and Legends Of The Fall from Amazon.co.uk when I received an email telling me that my order would not arrive until a further three weeks. Seconds after closing the email, they shot through the letterbox. I was like WTF?

btw, Lee, now that you mentioned it, what do you think of Legends of the fall?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008
    Went clothes shopping. And since I hate shopping, I also went looking for something nice to buy for myself:

Arvo Pärt - Da Pacem

I also bought a recording which contains:

Giya Kancheli - Styx
    John Tavener - The Myrrh-bearer

Both are works for viola, orchestra and choir lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    btw, Lee, now that you mentioned it, what do you think of Legends of the fall?

I think it's gorgeous! Probably my second favourite Horner score to Apollo 13. Are you looking for a good word about it or have you heard it yourself?

smile