• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Waiting for Sudden Impact and The Nightcomers. I'm always giving Jerry Fielding a chance!!

Don't you like him? I haven't ordered Nightcomers yet - I will when there's something else I want to order along with it - but I'm never disappointed by Fielding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    RO: Cherry 2000/No Man's Land - Basil Poledouris

Hey I have Cherry 2000, it isn't bad at all smile

Not
    bad
    at
    all?
    shocked

Oh man, contrary to Steven, you ARE going to hell!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. This YouTube video (http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJx5y5t97k) made me buy this score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008 edited
    See? Now YOU get a free pass to Heaven.
    Pass Purgatory, collect halo and wings.
    angelic
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Antineutrino wrote
    This YouTube video (http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJx5y5t97k) made me buy this score. cool

Great score and I love that theme. Recently discovered it and I found the other theme had a very Barry sound over it.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    This YouTube video (http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJx5y5t97k) made me buy this score. cool

Great score and I love that theme. Recently discovered it and I found the other theme had a very Barry sound over it.

I like it a lot too, some moments point towards his 'Hunt For Red October'. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008 edited
    Niki Reiser - Meshugge
    Pino Donaggio - Meridian
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    - Lost Season 3 needs no introduction wink
    - Wargames by Arthur Rubinstein. Haven't seen the film but good things have been said of the score, so I am curious about this one.

I'm waiting on these too, Thomas. And I've not seen the film nor heard any clips but the good comments (especially Erik's enthusiasm) have got me wondering about this one.

WarGames is a fantastic 80's score that worked it's magic in the movie. Another film that you wouldn't have expected this type of quality score to be associated with. Not that the film is bad but when you see our heroes for the first time don't expect that sizes of score you are going to hear later on down the road. Kinda reminds me of Back To The Future. Did anyone is 1985 expect to hear such a gigantic score with that film?

Anyway, WarGames is just a pleasure to listen to featuring some tight orchestrations and wonderful rhythms that keep the action music pumping. And there is a gigantic brass section in this score and they really shine during the upbeat moments of the score. Rubenstien really did a brilliant job to add tension to the film that with any other music might have been laughable... especially during the final sequence of the movie.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Waiting for Sudden Impact and The Nightcomers. I'm always giving Jerry Fielding a chance!!

Don't you like him? I haven't ordered Nightcomers yet - I will when there's something else I want to order along with it - but I'm never disappointed by Fielding.

My meaning didn't come across very well!!

I do like his work - although I don't have much. But when there is another score of his available I'll always have a good listen to clips when they are available. You are always certain of a challenging listen - quite unusual in today's environment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very good point on Back To The Future Erik, I'm old enough to remember an announcement in Soundtrack Quaterly that Silvestri was doing the score, I immediately dismissed it because at that time Silvestri meant "bad synth music" to me at that time wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    - Lost Season 3 needs no introduction wink
    - Wargames by Arthur Rubinstein. Haven't seen the film but good things have been said of the score, so I am curious about this one.

I'm waiting on these too, Thomas. And I've not seen the film nor heard any clips but the good comments (especially Erik's enthusiasm) have got me wondering about this one.

WarGames is a fantastic 80's score that worked it's magic in the movie. Another film that you wouldn't have expected this type of quality score to be associated with. Not that the film is bad but when you see our heroes for the first time don't expect that sizes of score you are going to hear later on down the road. Kinda reminds me of Back To The Future. Did anyone is 1985 expect to hear such a gigantic score with that film?

Anyway, WarGames is just a pleasure to listen to featuring some tight orchestrations and wonderful rhythms that keep the action music pumping. And there is a gigantic brass section in this score and they really shine during the upbeat moments of the score. Rubenstien really did a brilliant job to add tension to the film that with any other music might have been laughable... especially during the final sequence of the movie.

-Erik-

oh, considering I'm a brass nut I'm really looking forward now to this score, thanks Erik wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote

oh, considering I'm a brass nut I'm really looking forward now to this score, thanks Erik wink

I never knew brass nuts were into scores!? shocked
  4. Steven wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

I never knew brass nuts were into scores!? shocked

phew, I thought it was gonna be another lolcat biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I know one score for which they used coffee beans!

Back on topic;

Mogwai - Zidane
  5. Scenes of A Sexual Nature - Dominik Scherrer
    The Dark Hour - Alfons Conde

Sound clips sound interesting; particularly, the use of the pipe organ in the first track of The Dark Hour.

Sudden Impact - Lalo Schifrin

I'm hoping that there's a few interesting tracks over and above the cues from this movie that feature in the "Dirty Harry Anthology" CD from Aleph. Listening to Sudden Impact and comparing it with the original Dirty Harry it's easy to see how music in general changed over the decade or so between these movies!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    phew, I thought it was gonna be another lolcat biggrin

You have a problem with them? Right. No more LOLCats for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Recently Purchased: a SH*Tload of DVDs, following a big sale at Play.com
    Got me a number of classics, which I didn't have in DVD format yet, as well as some personal favourite I only retained on VHS (yeah, I'm old...). Very glad to be shot of those tapes!
    CLASSICS
    Freaks (Tod Browning's 1931 social commentary-cum-horror flick)
    The Big Sleep (Bogey! And Bogey's Baby!)
    The Maltese Falcon (this classic is a classic to put the phrase classic to shame)
    Citizen Kane (like above, but even more so!)
    The Dollars Trilogy - remastered (Wooooo! Brilliant! It's like 29 degrees Celcius outside, and for some reason I ALWAYS associate these films with really high temperatures, so I'm watching those TONIGHT!)
    Jaws (I know this film by heart...but hey, I didn't own it yet!)
    The Wizard Of Oz (one (and best) of the three musicals in the whole of existence I actually love)
    The Longest Day (THE definitive WWII war movie, as far as I'm concerned)
    Romeo And Juliet (The Zirelli version, with the best Nino Rota score in existence. Never seen the film before.)
    Henry V (The Brannagh variant. Man, is that good Shaespeare!)

PERSONAL FAVOURITES
    Kelly's Heroes (one of the finest war-action movies ever, with a killer Schifrin score)
    Hellboy 3DVD edition (always loved Mignola's dark and eerie graphic novels. Apparently this DVD set has an isolated composer commentary track!)
    High Plains Drifter (Clint reprises The Man With No Name. Have seen this film many decades ago...wondering if it still holds up? I have some VERY good memories of it.)
    Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch (two of the finest, wittiest and funniest Brit films of the decade by Mr. Madonna)
    Salem's Lot (one of the best horror mini series ever, even if it does star David Soul (well, to balance out, it's got James Mason as well. SCARY SCARY SCARY stuff! Late night viewing!))
    Batman Returns (There's something about this film that makes it all come together. Not a wrong note in it. Right up there with Batman Begins as excellent visions of the Caped Crusader)
    The Fearless Vampire Killers (I love this dark comedy from Polanski. It's got some genuine chills.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Recently Purchased: a SH*Tload of DVDs, following a big sale at Play.com
    Got me a number of classics, which I didn't have in DVD format yet, as well as some personal favourite I only retained on VHS (yeah, I'm old...). Very glad to be shot of those tapes!
    CLASSICS
    Freaks (Tod Browning's 1931 social commentary-cum-horror flick)
    The Big Sleep (Bogey! And Bogey's Baby!)
    The Maltese Falcon (this classic is a classic to put the phrase classic to shame)
    Citizen Kane (like above, but even more so!)
    The Dollars Trilogy - remastered (Wooooo! Brilliant! It's like 29 degrees Celcius outside, and for some reason I ALWAYS associate these films with really high temperatures, so I'm watching those TONIGHT!)
    Jaws (I know this film by heart...but hey, I didn't own it yet!)
    The Wizard Of Oz (one (and best) of the three musicals in the whole of existence I actually love)
    The Longest Day (THE definitive WWII war movie, as far as I'm concerned)
    Romeo And Juliet (The Zirelli version, with the best Nino Rota score in existence. Never seen the film before.)
    Henry V (The Brannagh variant. Man, is that good Shaespeare!)

PERSONAL FAVOURITES
    Kelly's Heroes (one of the finest war-action movies ever, with a killer Schifrin score)
    Hellboy 3DVD edition (always loved Mignola's dark and eerie graphic novels. Apparently this DVD set has an isolated composer commentary track!)
    High Plains Drifter (Clint reprises The Man With No Name. Have seen this film many decades ago...wondering if it still holds up? I have some VERY good memories of it.)
    Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch (two of the finest, wittiest and funniest Brit films of the decade by Mr. Madonna)
    Salem's Lot (one of the best horror mini series ever, even if it does star David Soul (well, to balance out, it's got James Mason as well. SCARY SCARY SCARY stuff! Late night viewing!))
    Batman Returns (There's something about this film that makes it all come together. Not a wrong note in it. Right up there with Batman Begins as excellent visions of the Caped Crusader)
    The Fearless Vampire Killers (I love this dark comedy from Polanski. It's got some genuine chills.)

I could be negative about a couple you have there ( I won't )

Excellent haul, classic after classic! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    I found a rare gem today at a local thrift store...

The Spirit of St. Louis by Franz Waxman. The Varese release under the "Film Score Classics" banner. Looked on Ebay for it, and found only one for $119.99...and one on Half.com for $89.00 so I think I got a deal at $1.99 at the thrift store.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    I could be negative about a couple you have there

shocked
    But... but... but... but I always pride myself on my impeccable taste! sad

( I won't )

Oh, that's alright then. smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    Vol. 1 Funk From Bollywood Action Thrillers
    Shankar, Loy and Ehsaan - Lakshya
    Florian Appl - One Day in Europe
    Benoît Charest - Les Triplettes de Belleville
  6. Joep wrote

I'd be interested in your opinion of this one. It's a score that I have always considered getting but never got around to buying yet.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008 edited
    Charest score brilliantly score mixes all sort of things. It's a score that easily sounds like typical French cliche music (accordeon), then switching to polka's and ending with old/new jazz. There's a very addictive song called Rendez-vous that's being heard 5 times (also in instrumental version), which once makes a vacuum cleaner sound like some sort of theremin. And many more weird objects were used for the music. What I really like is that the score catches a very specific nostalgic French mood from a certain time period, while creating an interacton between so many other cultures and styles that cannot be placed in say the 1970's or some other period. Very refreshing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That song is awesome. Indeed very addictive, catchy and very enjoyable. The whole score breaths fun, with odd tracks like the Hoover Piece. biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm highly considering buying an LP of Raiders, not to listen to, but to frame and hang on the wall. smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    David A. Stewart - Lily Was Here (third copy)
    David A. Stewart - Hostile Hostages (second copy)
    David A. Stewart - Jute City (first copy wink )
    Eduard Artemyev - Urga (second copy)
    Ryuichi Sakamoto - Tacojes Lejanos (second copy)
    Larry Carlton/Michel Colombier - Against All Odds
    Uwe Bossenz - An Ende Kommen Touristen
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What's with all the copies? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    When they're really cheap, I can't help myself. I had to cough up 1,50 euro for each of them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Joep wrote

Contrary to Bregt, i don't like the song much: it has the promise of an old-time swing song, but goes nowhere: it's actually, when you listen carefully, the melody line of an American drill instruction, set to swing beat. Funny, but honestly, without any chord change it wears out its welcome very quickly, and sadly it's very often repeated in the film. slant

I do like the rest of the score, and the film was one of the most off-beat and funny animation films I've seen in years!

Joep wrote
    David A. Stewart - Hostile Hostages (second copy)
    Eduard Artemyev - Urga (second copy)
    Ryuichi Sakamoto - Tacojes Lejanos (second copy)

shocked shocked

David A. Stewart - Lily Was Here (third copy)

shocked shocked shocked

Why would you get second, adn even third copies?
    I mean, I can see it if they'd be extremely rare and valuable (as an investment project...something I'm not much a fan of, and generally won't make one a millionaire anyway), or when you would desperately need copies at different places but can't work out how Nero works!

Anthony wrote
    I'm highly considering buying an LP of Raiders, not to listen to, but to frame and hang on the wall. smile

Well, you can have mine.
    (No, you actually can't. I'm just showing off the fact that I still have my original album! wink )

To be honest though, I have been tempted from time to time to start and buy vinyl again: many of the scores that are generally considered "grails" are still quite easily and cheaply available on LP.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Just managed to get an LP of Raiders for £3! This isn't getting played, but framed! I love my sneakey eBay tactics of not ''watching'' and item, letting another poor fool bid way before me and then shoving on 50p in the last 10 seconds. Mwahaha! devil

( biggrin )