• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. BhelPuri wrote
    I'm going to watch the movie tonight so I'll know what to expect.

Let me know what you think of the movie - I'm tempted to get the DVD on the basis of the score.

Recent scores:

Wanted - Danny Elfman
    WALL•E - Thomas Newman
    J-ok'el - George Shaw
    Héctor - Ángel Illarramendi
    Opal Dream - Dario Marianelli
    L'Amore Non Basta/Una Piccola Storia - Piernicola Di Muro*

(*Thanks Piernicola for sending me the CD of this.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. My recent MAJOR purchase from SAE:

(Intrada)
    Alien - Jerry Goldsmith
    Silverado - Bruce Broughton
    Tombstone - Bruce Broughton
    The Wind and the Lion - Jerry Goldsmith
    (Prometheus)
    Cutthroat Island - John Debney
    (Tadlow)
    True Grit - Elmer Bernstein
    The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes - Miklos Rozsa
    (GDM)
    A Fistful of Dollars - Ennio Morricone
    Once Upon a Time in the West - Ennio Morricone
    (Rai Trade)
    Marco Polo - Ennio Morricone
    (La La Land)
    The Big Country - Jerome Moross
    Godzilla - Akira Ifukube
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Rachel Portman - Hart's War
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    My recent MAJOR purchase from SAE:

(Intrada)
    Alien - Jerry Goldsmith
    Silverado - Bruce Broughton
    Tombstone - Bruce Broughton
    The Wind and the Lion - Jerry Goldsmith
    (Prometheus)
    Cutthroat Island - John Debney
    (Tadlow)
    True Grit - Elmer Bernstein
    The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes - Miklos Rozsa
    (GDM)
    A Fistful of Dollars - Ennio Morricone
    Once Upon a Time in the West - Ennio Morricone
    (Rai Trade)
    Marco Polo - Ennio Morricone
    (La La Land)
    The Big Country - Jerome Moross
    Godzilla - Akira Ifukube

Now that IS a fantastic haul! punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Holy Jebus, you're not wrong! shocked
  3. RO: Il Mercenario (The Mercenary) - Ennio Morricone
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008 edited
    Just got The NFL On CBS (Posthumus Zone) off iTunes. Only fifty-five seconds long, but a good buy, nevertheless. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    Not necessarily purchases, but Chris Lennertz/the SonicFuel guys are sending me some more CDs... kiss beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I just paid £16 for a copy of The Lost World by Williams. Let's hope it's as good as the first JP score, and better than the third!

It's Williams' King Kong, that's the best way to think of it. Quite a different beast to the first score.

The first one was just trying to be "epic" all the time, repeating the main theme over and over again.

You say that as though it's a bad thing?

Yup. As good as the main theme was, there was hardly any bombastic action music on the CD - just that theme over and over again. sad

No it's not!

BTW, there are two distinct MAIN THEMES. One is for the dinosaurs themselves (titled "Theme from Jurassic Park") and one for the Island (titled "End Credits.) Both work together. Excluding the concert versions of the themes... wish they weren't on the album... the slower main theme can be heard in JOURNEY TO THE ISLAND, WELCOME TO JURASSIC PARK (actually the end credits), A TREE FOR MY BED, JURASSIC PARK GATE and T-REX RESCUE and FINALE. That's 5 tracks from the 14 track album (again, excluding the concert suites) The rest contains the AWESOME 4 note Raptor themes, The Brachisaurs theme, The Triceratops Theme, gentle lullaby music, and exciting action and suspense cues.

There are FOUR great action cues on the album starting with "Incident at Isla Nublar" The other three are "The Raptor Attack," "High Wire Stunts," a friggin' incredible one minute blast of orchestral glory in "Eye To Eye" and the EPIC "T-Rex Rescue and Finale" which is one of John Williams finest action cues. Too bad The T-Rex/Jeep Chase isn't on the album. So, I don't know where you get this idea that there are NO epic bombastic action cues on the album.

Jurassic Park is a very diverse score with a vaiety of up tempo action cues to please the appetite of any film music fan. And these comments about the first score trying to be epic and repeating the main theme over and over and over again are nonsense.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    RO: Il Mercenario (The Mercenary) - Ennio Morricone

You forget it was co-composed by Bruno Nicolai.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

Jurassic Park is a very diverse score with a vaiety of up tempo action cues to please the appetite of any film music fan. And these comments about the first score trying to be epic and repeating the main theme over and over and over again are nonsense.

-Erik-

Well it doesn't matter now anyway, as The Lost World has come and I highly prefer it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well it doesn't matter now anyway, as The Lost World has come and I highly prefer it. wink

I think it does matter.

The Lost World is a bigger monster than the original for sure but I still think both are excellent and Jurassic Park is easily one of Williams' all time best. A thematic delight.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Joep wrote

True. Is it known who composed what?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I haven't been able to find out, but would certainly be interesting in knowing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    Joep wrote

Doesn't surprise me but I didn't know that?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Joep wrote

Doesn't surprise me but I didn't know that?

Surprisingly only Morricone's name is on the cd cover. The credits in the film's main title is "Music by Ennio Morriocone and Bruno Nicolai" (http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=UaF-s7Ag6TQ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think it does matter.

The Lost World is a bigger monster than the original for sure but I still think both are excellent and Jurassic Park is easily one of Williams' all time best. A thematic delight.

-Erik-

Agreed! I wish they release completes of both JP and LW!!
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    I ordered these soundtracks from the net:

The Bone Collector - Craig Armstrong
    The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Edward Shearmur
    Suden Vuosi (The Year of the Wolf) - Tuomas Kantelinen

They all were used, so they were quite cheap.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Antineutrino wroteSurprisingly only Morricone's name is on the cd cover. The credits in the film's main title is "Music by Ennio Morriocone and Bruno Nicolai" (http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=UaF-s7Ag6TQ).

Yups. Sometimes credits can be a b****. Nicolai has been conducting for a lot of Morricone scores and it's often argued he did more than working on it as a conductor. Perhaps this was one of those scores he got the credit, even though he deserved it for more films.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    JuPe wrote
    I ordered these soundtracks from the net:

The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Edward Shearmur

They all were used, so they were quite cheap.

I've only got these two, both excellent purchases!!
  6. As well as Hellboy 2 and The Dark Knight I bought one of Intrada's new releases:

Who'll Stop The Rain - Laurence Rosenthal

If you can get past the fact that this is not one of the "mainstream" composers, the score is in mono and it lasts only 35+ minutes take a listen to the clips at Intrada's site:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl;jsessioni … mp;id=5844

shocked

Sounds great!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think it does matter.

-Erik-

Don't, I'm starting to drool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think it does matter.

-Erik-

wink biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think it does matter.

-Erik-

I haven't seen JP for a long time so can't remember how much good music is missing but LW definitely could do with expansion.

But what would make me drool more than those is Star Trek II & III, remastered expa.....ahhhhh shit, let's not go there slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Is there really much unreleased music in the two JP scores? The first one already has a long album; and I remember the score really being butchered in the second, to the extent that there's already probably more music on the album than in the film. I stand to be corrected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd be much more excited about an expanded Lost World than Jurassic Park to be honest. The Lost World has always been the better album IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So why expand it? wink

I think Lost World presents the music in the better way. I do think JP would make a better album if produced better though (just getting rid of the curious placement of the end titles in the middle of the album would be a great start)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    I'm only concerned about the T-Rex Jeep Chase cue and the "Storm Clouds" cue from the first film but LW had quite some nice moments missing as far as I remember, including some great action stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    So why expand it? wink

Because it would make an even better album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Naaaah. You can have too much of a good thing...