• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Arrived today:

Hack! - Scott Glasgow
    Like Minds - Carlo Giacco
    Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino
    Babylon 5: In The Beginning - Christopher Franke
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007
    I bought Pirates Of Caribbean Soundtrack Treasures.

50 euros.

shame beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    I bought Pirates Of Caribbean Soundtrack Treasures.

50 euros.

shame beer

49 euros too much! spin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007
    sdtom wrote
    I special ordered and just picked up a (22) CD set of the works of Stravinsky from Borders for $24.50+ tax.

Bargain! shocked

Who's conducting Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Arrived today:

Hack! - Scott Glasgow
    Like Minds - Carlo Giacco
    Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

Oh, Babylon 5 is absolute rubbish
    Would like to know if Hack is any good wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Arrived today:

I really hope you like it since this is somehow my fault I guess... biggrin

No, honestly, if you like the music from the series, this is not different and has some nice atmospheric touches to it slightly different from anything heard before in the series. I love the more quiet moments that accompany every scene Peter "Londo" Jurasik is in. He was so much fun to watch, but could also break your heart if he wanted to. B5 had some of the worst, and, more important, some of the best scenes ever shot for TV. And the music always managed to keep up.
  3. Babylon 5: In The Beginning: Ralph, unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy the music from the series as a stand-alone listen (though I thought that it worked very well in the show). I've had a quick listen to the CD and I'd put it above the music for the series. It just seems that there's more production values placed with this than the episodic material.

By far the most interesting piece I've heard in the Babylon 5 universe (apart from the main theme) is "The War" from the beginning of track 6. Sounds like Uillean pipes(?) and it's a great 3-4 minutes.

BTW, I've not really warmed to Franke's liking for arranging suites of cues for these Babylon 5 scores - they probably sound a bit too bity as individual cues.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Glad you thought it was an improvement.

Yes, that would be Uillean pipes, I guess, and I think that´s the best track, too.

They are not really suites, but just everything from one act (between commercial breaks) backed together. But I don´t like it either.

His second B5 album, "Messages from Earth", has suites, and they are a lot better than his episodic scores, but "In The Beginning" is certainly one of the best B5 stand-alone CDs.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007
    Krzesimir Debski - W Pustyni I W Puszczy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Blind purchases. I hope they're not bad.

Die Hohle des gelben Hundes - Dagvan Ganpurev
    Colditz- Richard Harvey
    Rhodes- Alan Parker
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    The Ganpurev score is really good! Hope you enjoy it.

My latest:

Ozark Henry - Kruistocht in Spijkerbroek
    Tan Dun - Ye Yan
    Jay Chou - Bu neng shuo de mi mi
    Andy Lau Rene Liu - Tian xia wu zei
    Nicolás Uribe - Te Voy A Ensenar A Querer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Some random scores I bought

Toekjev Jantus - X Harl Tu Quoja
    Ghun Hjin - Kapoet Ka tuup Ku
    Ciil De Biul - Zion Pompomperompom
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BREGT! biggrin biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007 edited
    Indeed, Bregt! That is so unlike you! shocked biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

WOW! Somehow you bought 3 of the most LEGENDARY scores of all time in the most random way shocked ......you are genius Bregt! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote

biggrin

.... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Yeah. really. And how lucky you were to find them. Kapoet is so hard to come by these days. I especially enjoyed "Tach, mach´ Gach!" (klingoneese for "Hello, My Dear, would you please prepare some food for your beloved husband?") from the Complete Recordings.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Is this becoming a running gag? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Seriously, man, what did you expect...? wink

This community is open to everyone and every composer, of course, but you can´t write about buying stuff from your part of the world or your special interests without us mainstream folks feeling a bit too mainstreamy. dizzy

This is NOT about the quality of those composers, and certainly not about your taste either. But give us some space to acknowlege that there are things out there people like Jor- ehm... ME never heard of.

Would I have the money, I would spend a lot more on CDs, even from guys I never heard about, just to find more great stuff, but since my resources are terribly limited, there are borders to where I would go blindly. I prefer to buy scores from movies I´ve seen, and to get my hands on CDs from composers I know. It may be ignorant, but it´s the way it is for me and a lot of other guys here.

You did nothing wrong. We´re just having some fun.

Cheers. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote

biggrin

.... biggrin

"Pompomperompom" HAHHHAHA this is the funniest thing i've read this year! biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Stop making up films and composers, the moment's passed Timmer... jeez. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Stop making up films and composers, the moment's passed Timmer... jeez. rolleyes

LOL biggrin

y' made me laugh aloud cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Just tried to preorder at amazon:

The Hobbit - Howard Shore

Can´t imagine why they don´t have it made available for preorder yet. Why, oh why...? They are so slow sometimes....

2010 can´t come soon enough...

*buries himself in his hobbit hole and waits more or less patiently*
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Just tried to preorder at amazon:

The Hobbit - Howard Shore

Can´t imagine why they don´t have it made available for preorder yet. Why, oh why...? They are so slow sometimes....

After they found out Howard Shore is very likely to be replaced by James Newton Howard, I guess they don't want the same hassle again as they had with King Kong. Therefore, I'm sure they'll wait till after his rejection this time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    beer THAT one I would buy even sooner than a Shore Score.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    Just ordered:

Lawnmower Man 2 (Robert Folk)

Hopefully it'll be good.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    Also ordered Mercenaries (Tilton and Giacchino) from La La Land Records... only $5 (plus shipping) for the CD! I'm shocked the price is that low... either it was an error on LLL's part or it was a big holiday sale I missed. biggrin
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Babylon 5: In The Beginning: Ralph, unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy the music from the series as a stand-alone listen

I'm so sorry to hear that (especially as I sang its praises so many times). sad
    I still dearly love Franke's work, but I have to say I'm sticking with the two compilation CDs which are way more accessible and enjoyable than the übershort episode CDs which are a very challenging (read: 'boring') standalone listen. I know it's weird for me, theme freak, to get into Franke's "Mood und Drang" style... but I do. As far as I'm concerned not a lowlight on either CD, from the magnificent theme to the action music to the more etheral stuff. Possibly it's because it so very powerfully echoes the mood of the series that it works so well for me (pivotal TV for me. Really!).

Joep wrote
    Is this becoming a running gag? rolleyes

As long as you keep on buying stuff no one is sure of what exactly the film title and what the name of the composer is, absolutely!! biggrin

Matt C wrote
    Also ordered Mercenaries (Tilton and Giacchino) from La La Land Records... only $5 (plus shipping) for the CD! I'm shocked the price is that low... either it was an error on LLL's part or it was a big holiday sale I missed. biggrin

Actually that's been priced down for quite some time now (yeah, I was surprised as well!).
    Swooped this up a month or two or three back, and was very pleasantly surprised! It's a very good score that deserved more attention, I would think. No hesitation whatever in recommending it!

Recently purchased (all second-hand, and some through venerable posters on this very board smile ):
    Fantastic Journey - Erich Kunzel & The Concinnati Pops Orchestra
    Had my eyes on this for ages, only still having a cassette tape copy. It's I think Kunzel's best compilation album, with some outstanding renditions of sci-fi/fantasy classics.
    Broken Arrow - Hans Zimmer
    Early Zimmer. Lots of fun, and several Franke echoes! shocked
    Fight Club - The Dust Brothers
    Matchstick Men - Hans Zimmer
    All About Eve - Alfred Newman
    Hart's War - Rachel Portman
    Shrek - Harry Gregson-Williams / John Powell
    Finally getting rid of the old CDR!
    The Bourne Identity - John Powell
    David Copperfield / The Roots Of Heaven - Malcolm Arnold (Stromberg rerecording)
    24 - Sean Callery
    Mad Max - Brian May
    The Player - Thomas Newman
    A friend of mine who works in film and TV editing keeps asking me whether I have this one, and I have the feeling that somehow he would never take me seriously as a collector until I did. And now I do. biggrin
    They Died With Their Boots On - Max Steiner (Stromberg rerecording)
    Millennium (Tribal Wisdom And The Modern World) - Hans Zimmer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007 edited
    Martijn wrote
    (Babylon 5) Possibly it's because it so very powerfully echoes the mood of the series that it works so well for me (pivotal TV for me. Really!).

It was so much ahead of Star Trek that Berman never knew what hit him until it was too late. It was so funny to watch Deep Space Nine trying to copy each and every storyline season after season... I remember how they laughed at B5´s "soulless" computer effects, until they saw the first massive battle sequences and panicked. biggrin B5 kicked Trek´s ass those days. They had better stories, better actors, better effects, and, most certainly, a very special soundtrack which is so much connected to B5 now it´s impossible to imagine anything else scored in this style and fashion. Yes, B5 was pivotal in many ways... Its worst episodes were hard to watch, but their good ones were nothing but breathtaking.

And those Londo/G´Kar-dialogues were some of the best ever aired on TV. Remember the episode where G´Kar buys Londo a drink because he thinks a peace between their people has been settled, and Londo is totally speechless and shocked because he knows that his people are brutally bombing one of G´Kar´s people´s outposts right at that moment? Absolutely thrilling stuff that made my heart stop beating.