• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    ...if Total Recall doesn't blow you away, you have a hearing disorder wink

And if it does, I will probably get one lick
  1. BobdH wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    ...if Total Recall doesn't blow you away, you have a hearing disorder wink

And if it does, I will probably get one lick

cheesy wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    You've discovered PayPal? Whole vistas have opened out before you!!

Tell me about it! I never thought buying CD's overseas would save me to much, I figured I would only pay more because of the added shipping! But not only would I have saved 40,- euro's (!) compared to what I would've payed when buying it at bol.com, our Dutch internetshop, but I could even buy Poltergeist I instead of II (bol.com only has that latter one). The original is of course more expensive, but I still saved 20,- euro's!

I have heard Poltergeist and Total Recall within the film. I do not really remember TR (long time ago) but Im very familiair with Carol-Anne's Theme. Very haunting, just like the film. One of those genuinely creepy films...

Whenever I get the chance I use paypal (ebay, US shops). It's fast, very secure and I've never had fraudulent e-mails of any sort since I became a member.

And Bob, if you're not very familiar with anything else than Carol Anne's Theme, I wish you the listening experience of a lifetime. I'm not joking when I say it's my absolute favourite from the composer. And there are many by him that come close, very close. The movie's a wonderful creepfest too. They just don't make em like that anymore, now it's all gory, slasher-style horror, very little left to the imagination, unlike Poltergeist.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited
    Absolutely! If I recall correctly, SPOILERnobodyevendiesSPOILER, which you won't easily see in a modern day horror film. Now, there is that small matter of the guy peeling off his own face, though...

And thanks, I'm really looking forward to it! I already love his Omen trilogy! (yes, even part 2!).
  3. Spoilers ! Oh noez !!!! shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    Battle of Britain dvd (2 disc) - You can see two versions of the film; one with the score of Ron Goodwin and one with the full score of Sir William Walton. A smashing release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great film. The aerial scenes remain unsurpassed to this very day.

I believe the film was an influence on George Lucas.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Unfortgettable air battles, but too many characters and many uninteresting scenes. I am going to rewatch it with Walton's score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, the film is a bit 'spot the star' and a lot of chracters aren't fleshed out enough but I can still watch this film over and over.

I've only watched it once with the Walton score which gives the film a different feel, I'd have to watch it again to give a better view. Let me know what you think?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Southall wrote

What's wrong with it being 38 minutes? You either enjoy the album, or not. Give me 38 minutes of Star Trek V over 80 minutes of any score written in the twenty years since, thank you very much.

I am sorry to say this, Southall, but i don't think this is one of the best Goldsmith score. Honestly speaking, i should haven't talked about the length. For instance, First Knight, The Omen are very short, but i simply adore that, why even Star Trek: The Motion picture is also shorter one. The point here is Star Trek V doesn't have quality. I don't find any variations in each and every track. Ok! there are some tracks which are good but i don't think this album is worth buying. First track The Mountain and the ninth track which contains same theme music and track no.3,5 and 7 good action cues, but remaining, nothing is there! Of course, i do respect your admiration towards this score, but to me this is not great score by Goldsmith.

Have a nice day! smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Umm... shouldn't the above post be in the I Need Help thread?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    confused
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  4. I'm beginning to get a bit concerned about a couple of packets from SAE that are taking a bit longer than normal to arrive:

Cain's Hundred - Jerry Goldsmith
    Lonely Are The Brave - Jerry Goldsmith
    None But The Brave - John Williams
    Star Trek II - James Horner

It's not bad enough to give up hope just yet - a couple of weeks before that scenario kicks in.

I'm hoping that this post will mean that the 2 packages will suddenly materialise in my inbox.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I haven't received my Varese Club CDs yet, despite everyone else in the world (apart from Alan, obviously) having now received them. Unfortunately this has become standard! Given that I always order them within 20 seconds of them being announced, I suspect they must send them out in reverse order or something.
  5. Wasn't there a 3-day strike by postal workers in London the other day?

I'm hoping that my packages have been caught up the backlog.

Where are those straws!?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Indubitably!
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm beginning to get a bit concerned about a couple of packets from SAE that are taking a bit longer than normal to arrive:

Cain's Hundred - Jerry Goldsmith
    Lonely Are The Brave - Jerry Goldsmith
    None But The Brave - John Williams
    Star Trek II - James Horner

It's not bad enough to give up hope just yet - a couple of weeks before that scenario kicks in.

I'm hoping that this post will mean that the 2 packages will suddenly materialise in my inbox.

Don't worry. I once had to wait a month and a half for a package to arrive. I'm sure they're a little behind, now with ST II out, half the world has put in an order. Mine hasn't shipped either, but it's only a bit over a week now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    Just bought Powell's X-Men: The Last Stand. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You have chosen wisely beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Indeed I have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009
    Got 3 cds today-

Basil Poledouris - Big Wednesday
    James Horner - Star Trek II- The Wrath of Khan
    Bruno Nicolai - 99 Donne (99 Women)

Which one am I most excited about that I'm going to play first?

Yep, the Nicolai punk
  8. BhelPuri wrote
    Got 3 cds today-

Basil Poledouris - Big Wednesday
    James Horner - Star Trek II- The Wrath of Khan
    Bruno Nicolai - 99 Donne (99 Women)

Which one am I most excited about that I'm going to play first?

Yep, the Nicolai punk

shocked
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited
    Vlatko Stefnaovski - Kino Kultura: Music selections from following scores: Günese yolculuk, Nebeska udica, Gypsy Music, Tri letnja dana and Samounistuvanje. Stefnanovski was born in the part of Yuguslavia that is now called Maceodonia.

And last but not least: Dirk Brosse - Sophia (second copy)

The title refers to a children hospital in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. He recorded this classical work in Rotterdam. I haven't decided yet who deserves to get this cd; a proud Dutchmen or a crazy Flemish individual.
  9. Joep wrote
    Vlatko Stefnaovski - Kino Kultura: Music selections from following scores: Günese yolculuk, Nebeska udica, Gypsy Music, Tri letnja dana and Samounistuvanje. Stefnanovski was born in the part of Yuguslavia that is now called Maceodonia.

And last but not least: Dirk Brosse - Sophia (second copy)

The title refers to a children hospital in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. He recorded this classical work in Rotterdam. I haven't decided yet who deserves to get this cd; a proud Dutchmen or a crazy Flemish individual.

I'm glad one of those was a second or third copy, if not I thought you were sick Joep wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2651/masada.jpg punk

That one only took six years or so to hunt down...
  10. I hope you stay here, Christian? It's a great community.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. At last!!

Everything's turned up fine and well!!

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner
    It is such a revelation to hear this complete score! The GNP Crescendo release itself is a brilliant CD to listen to but the added tracks add so much depth to the listening experience. The addition of the tracks that feature the extra Khan material give the whole score an added dimension that was only available through watching the film.

The Star Trek CD was the definite highlight of the 4 discs that I received over the past few days. Goldsmith's Cain's Hundred and Lonely Are The Brave are two scores that was completely unaware of - and of the two, it's the TV scores for Cain's Hundred (with additional music from Morton Stevens) that I'm enjoying more.

I also got Williams' None But The Brave because I'm always drawn to Asian-tinged scores (Japanese in particular) and though the score is not overtly Japanese as, say, Goldsmith's Tora! Tora! Tora! it is interesting to see how an early John Williams handles this aspect of the score. It's not as enjoyable as I had hoped but it's certainly a curiosity CD.

I did get a couple of other CDs - and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but they may have been the most enjoyable discs to arrive. A bit of a Holy Grail for me, I came across 2 CDs with "The Beau Hunks Play The Original Laurel and Hardy Music".

shame

The incidental music for the old Laurel and Hardy films is another example of film/TV music that I was constantly hearing when I was growing up. Hence, it was music I got quite familiar with. And as it was always being tracked into numerous movies familiarity grew quite quickly. This CD is a faithful (as faithful as possible) recreation of songs and tracks from Laurel and Hardy films (and Hal Roach films in general.)

There's a lot of music that I am not familiar with but all the recognizable favourites are all there:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunks-Original-La … amp;sr=8-8

Ah the memories: "On To The Show", "Bells", "Rockin' Chair", "The Moon and You", "Dash and Dot", "Look At Him Now", "Give Us A Hand", "Cops", "Nothing At All", "Beautiful Lady" and (especially) "Antics".
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009
    That's cool Alan. I was never very familiar with the films/tv movies, and only know the theme. But it sounds like a good listen, though perhaps not an easy listen with all these short tracks?

I bought these from Thor:

O'Horten - Kaada
    I liked the score a lot in this charming little Norwegian movie (the guy who says he can drive with his eyes closed is hilarious). It's an odd affair actually, but it reminded me of Amiina (the female quartet that travels with Sigur Ros). Two or thee good melodies, some fine tracks like Hardangervidda and Finse, all performed by about 20 people, focusing on strings and all its tricks and a couple of weird instruments/sounds.

The Watcher - Marco Beltrami
    What a damn fine opening track this has! As with other horror scores of Beltrami, the rest of the cd isn't always that easy to listen to, and I wanted to hear the theme of the opening track a bit more, because when it is presented, it's a bit vague. Still, quite a good score and listen overall! Thanks for including this one Thor!

Minoes - Peter Vermeersch
    Performed by Flat Earth Society, a Belgian jazz/big band group, it is composed by Peter Vermeersch, who's born in my city apparently. Have to listen to it, but according to Thor and Joep it's a very good score.

Nostradamus - Barrington Pheloung
    Haven't heard this one yet.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    Nostradamus - Barrington Pheloung
    Haven't heard this one yet.

Good purchase! Fine score!

Just ordered...

Guy Farley - Cashback
    Bill Conti - The Right Stuff
    Jerry Goldsmith - Under Fire (a JG purchase after a loooong time)
    Various (arr. Gregg Nestor) - You Must Remember This Too (couldn't resist after seeing all the fine reviews here)