• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    AVPR - Tyler

It's not what I ordered. But thats what I was sent instead of North By Northwest. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    Joep wrote
    Pino Donaggio - Die komponisten-portret serie fur film, fernsehen und operette No.03

As a Donaggio fan I'm baffled about this cd-- have never heard of it. You mention that it has a lot of material common to the Cinefonia (Pino Donaggio et le Cinéma Italien) compilation.
    There's another compilation which is similar to the Cinefonia one and also has 7 cues from Carniere. Are you sure it's not this one that you're referring to-- Music from the Cinema (Musica dal cinema) Vol 2. Pino Donaggio?

What's the operette No 03?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    Atham wrote
    AVPR - Tyler

It's not what I ordered. But thats what I was sent instead of North By Northwest. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Better tongue wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    cd-- have never heard of it. You mention that it has a lot of material common to the Cinefonia (Pino Donaggio et le Cinéma Italien) compilation.
    There's another compilation which is similar to the Cinefonia one and also has 7 cues from Carniere. Are you sure it's not this one that you're referring to-- Music from the Cinema (Musica dal cinema) Vol 2. Pino Donaggio?

What's the operette No 03?

It's the same cd. Perhaps a German re-issue? But it's most certainly a bit different from Cinefonia's Pino Donaggio Et Le Cinéma Italien wink

Also new;
    Nicola Piovani's Intervista
    Paul Rabiger's Am Tag als Bobby Ewing starb
  1. Arrived today:

War and Peace (Guerra e Pace) - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
    The Winds of War - Robert Cobert

I always remember the theme from The Winds of War and liking it. And I've just watched the opening credits of the mini-series on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxYy3RyhQPA) and I'm quite looking forward to listening to this 40-minute CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    Tell us how you'll like WAR AND PEACE Alan. I certainly am hugely disappointed by it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    Aww, I didn't think War & Peace was disappointing, but that might be because of my low expectations (I can't really get into this composer anyway). It's an elegant, stylish score, but not amazing for sure.
  2. I don't really get what's so bad about WAR AND PEACE either, but it's just a soundtrack I suppose. Nothing worth arguing about.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008 edited
    It's the less-Kaczmarek score he's ever pull out. Maybe i expected way more 'cause i am a bit of a Kaczmarek looney indeed but when compared to gorgeous stuff like EVENING, TOTAL ECLIPSE, UNFAITHFUL or even QUO VADIS and BLISS it HUGELY pales in comparison, coming along as a very weak, standard and impersonal effort. I am wondering, are you familiar with these works i mention here?
  3. All of them. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008 edited
    I am not. To be honost, I only heard the full score of Finding Neverland, only liked the piano pieces, and found myself irritated by all the rest. I have heard parts of his other scores, but never the full experience, and I wasn't overly impressed.
  4. War and Peace didn't really meet my expectations as there was some very good clip selections from passages that didn't really give a representative idea of the CD as a whole. What the clips did highlight though was this score wasn't going to be like Total Eclipse, Bliss or Unfaithful. So, in that sense it did meet expectations.

As far as the score itself goes, it's an okay score. I'm glad I have it: a composer of Kaczmarek's calibre is unlikely to give us a "bad" score. And I like how it is another example of his more extroverted composing?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Arrived today:

I always remember the theme from The Winds of War and liking it...I'm quite looking forward to listening to this 40-minute CD.

The CD as a whole was a bit of a disappointment, with the real highlight only being the main theme. The relatively poor sound quality on the CD doesn't help either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008 edited
    A package made in heaven arrived today:

Brian Tyler - AVP:R
    James Newton Howard - I Am Legend
    James Newton Howard - Charlie Wilson's War
    James Newton Howard - The Great Debaters
    Mark Isham - The Mist
    Marc Shaiman - The Bucket List

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    Woah! I bought I AM LEGEND as well and waiting for it to be arrived along with SILK and ATONEMENT.

First time listens these are Bob, or have you already previewed them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    A package made in heaven arrived today:

Brian Tyler - AVP:R
    James Newton Howard - I Am Legend
    James Newton Howard - Charlie Wilson's War
    James Newton Howard - The Great Debaters
    Mark Isham - The Mist
    Marc Shaiman - The Bucket List

punk

What was your free gift? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Woah! I bought I AM LEGEND as well and waiting for it to be arrived along with SILK and ATONEMENT.

First time listens these are Bob, or have you already previewed them?

I've heard I Am Legend (beautiful!), The Mist (meh...) and The Great Debaters (just nice) already, heard portions of AVP:R thanks to a certain Greek dude (can't remember his name) but am very anxious to hear the full experience after all these heated debates (had to hear this on full quality!). Haven't heard The Bucket List yet, but I'm not really expecting a lot from that one.

Steven wrote

They were all free gifts, as they're review copies biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet. Let us know full opinions, especially on the AVP:R beast! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sweet. And why did you also buy The Great Debaters (if just nice) and the Mist (if meh)? angelic

see above angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

They were all free gifts, as they're review copies biggrin

soapbox

slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, believe me, I would've bought I Am Legend and AVP:R if I'd seen them in the city somewhere, but being unemployed and all, I just waited a bit till Varese would send me a promo. Sweet people kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Where are your reviews? angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    btw STEVEN: i just saw your signature : "You wanna get high?" - Towelie from South Park lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't forget to bring a towel!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Where are your reviews? angelic

On a dutch filmsite called MoviEmotion (sorry, you won't be able to read them wink). I'm basically chief editor over there, being an editor for over 2 years, and I've established my own network of soundtracklabels smile

You can find my articles over here:
    http://www.moviemotion.nl/content/a/red … artog.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's very neat-looking (all i can say since i can't read a thing!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's very neat-looking (all i can say since i can't read a thing!)

biggrin

Thanks! And we also have the added advantage of being able to put soundclips beneath the reviews! We didn't really do the design ourselves, though, we're cooperating with YourMedia B.V., who did the website in itself (whith the ability to add full archives, with files of the films and such). Sorry it's not in english, though wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Arrived today:

I always remember the theme from The Winds of War and liking it...I'm quite looking forward to listening to this 40-minute CD.

The CD as a whole was a bit of a disappointment, with the real highlight only being the main theme. The relatively poor sound quality on the CD doesn't help either.

Sorry to hear that? The theme IS fantastic though. I'd really like to see the mini-series again and it's follow up War And Remembrance, I don't even know if it's available on DVD?

Anyway, latest purchase....

Mary Queen Of Scots - John Barry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Atham wrote
    AVPR - Tyler

Better tongue wink

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!! biggrin wink

Actually it would be one no matter how good Tyler's score would be.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin Man you got an "automatically search for "BRIAN TYLER" add-on for firefox? I want me one too!