• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Thanks to Demetris sending me a file I decided to buy the official release of AVPR

Nothing original but it's a fun ride.

Play it loud several times mate and you'll see...you'll love it wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. A couple of unknowns:

The Great Water - Kiril Dzajkovski
    http://musicishere.com/artists/Kiril_Dz … reat_Water

Coronado - Ralf Wienrich
    http://musicishere.com/artists/Original … k/CORONADO

The clips sound encouraging!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Hit another used CD store today and came away with these:

1)Caveman's Valentine (Blanchard)-not too excited about, but it was only .95 cents
    2) Arthur and the Invisibles (Serra)-I have high hopes for this one
    3) Farewell My Concubine-Silva Comp
    4) Endurance (Powell)
    5) The Mighty (Jones)
    6) How to Make An American Quilt (T-Newman)
    7) Don Quixote (Hartley)
    8) Best Laid Plans (Armstrong)-Not expecting much
    9) Field of Dreams (Horner)
    10) Don Juan DeMarco (Kamen)
    11) Muppet Treasure Island (Zimmer)
    12) Blade (Isham)-not too excited about, but it was .95 cents as well

The embarrassing part was I had to get a basket to hold all the CDs because I bought so many. Most were only $1-3 for some reason. The Silva compilation is amazing so far. I can't believe what I'm hearing. shocked I'm also glad I finally found Muppet Treasure Island. My Zimmer collection is almost complete now. I pretty much just need Regarding Henry, Paper House, the Holiday, Thunderbirds, and Batman Begins.

I have a lot of towel folding to do.

-Nate

WHAT used CD store??? Endurance and Muppet Treasure Island are both mildly valuable collector's items!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    The Serra cues were a great listen in small doses but didn't work for me as a full cd listening experience.

I heard some of the cues on Directv/Cinemagic last year and thought it sounded like a typical animation score so I was interested being Serra usually writes really weird stuff that does nothing for me. Haven't had time to listen to it yet.

I just bought the Silva compilation thanks to you (it was just $2 on Amazon).

I haven't been too impressed with the Silva Prague Phil compilations in the past, but the Essential Bernstein, Kameo, and now this sound excellent. I don't know if they have new players that are better musicians now or what, but the older ones I have, like the Essential Horner, aren't very good. The Rocketeer track on that compilation is especially painful to listen too (really slow, etc.). So, if you like Chinese music with a lot of western influence and really great sound and playing you'll like it. It has a lot of good themes on it so far that I think I'll be humming later on.

The Newman title theme is simply gorgeous (or as a friend put it-- like two oboes making love to each other)

Haven't listened to it yet, but that sounds.....interesting. biggrin

Really the only one in the list I've listen to is Blade and it is just what I expected (thought I'd listen to the worst first to get it out of the way). Boring atmospheric stuff that goes in one ear and out the other. I was hoping Isham would've written some good action music for it like Rules of Engagement or Miracle, but nope. crazy

Also, I'm mildly excited to listen to Caveman's Valentine after the comments you guys made.
  3. Scribe wrote
    WHAT used CD store??? Endurance and Muppet Treasure Island are both mildly valuable collector's items!

Cheapo. I think it may just be a chain in Minnesota. They mostly sell used CDs with some new stuff mixed in. I've gotten Water World, Power of One, A World Apart, etc., etc. there in the last year. They also have a sister store called Applause that only sells classical/opera/new age/soundtracks that is literally across the street. I got JNH's Restoration, Indochine, Russia House, Fateless, etc. there in the last year. These two stores aren't even their main headquarters. The biggest, and supposedly best, is in downtown Minneapolis but I've never been there being it's just too dangerous to go there.

-Nate
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thanks to Demetris sending me a file I decided to buy the official release of AVPR

Nothing original but it's a fun ride.

Play it loud several times mate and you'll see...you'll love it wink

Ah but I do D, like I said, nothing original but it's great fun, very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to giving it another listen which is always a good sign cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2008 edited
    Gabriele Ducros - Panama Zucchero

I don't have a clue who Ducros is, but Bregt will first explore this composers's career and scores, reveil his findings to me and then I'll take a chance with this cd. He's promised and I'll take him under heavy fire till the very end of his discovery!
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2008
    The Water Horse (James Newton Howard)
    The Spiderwick Chronicles (James Horner)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008
    Just got my hands on :

ES Posthumus - Unearthed
    Batman Begins
    The Water Horse

and the collectors edition of Battle for Middle Earth 2, which I hear comes with a soundtrack.

Joy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2008 edited
    Recent arrivals:

Final Analysis - George Fenton
    Four Gods - Joe Hisaishi
    George and The Dragon - Gast Waltzing
    Accidental Hero - George Fenton
    L'Écart - Vincent Gillioz
    The Killing Floor - Michael Wandmacher
    Treasured Island - Nicholas Dodd

Four Gods, George and The Dragon and Treasured Island are all excellent releases featuring some very enjoyable music. L'Écart and The Killing Floor are more "challenging" listens and will require more listenings. As for the Fenton CDs: Final Analysis is okay but Accidental Hero is a bit of a frisbee (hence the sub-£2 price tag).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008
    msia2k75 wrote
    The Water Horse (James Newton Howard)
    The Spiderwick Chronicles (James Horner)

Add:

I am Legend (James Newton Howard)
  4. Finally purchased myself

- Signs James Newton Howard (my brother had the copy wink )
    - Sahara Clint Mansell (it was time to buy it since I only have a copy of it smile )

Now these are 2 excellent scores if I have to say, no I must say
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008
    Henny Vrienten's Pietje Bell. The fun fact is that I really think this score is horrible.
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    I don't have them yet, but only 15 minutes ago I just ordered:

Fargo / Barton Fink by Carter Burwell
    Miller's Crossing by Carter Burwell
    and Signs by JNH, which is one of the scores that first got me into this type of music, but I hadn't gotten around to buying it till now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fargo / Barton Fink is an excellent album, i am sure you'll love it. SIGNS is a no comments masterpiece of course and i have no idea how the other one in your list is wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Demetris, did you ever post your review of AVPR?! confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No mate, i've been through my last (hopefully) exams at the uni and generally speaking it's been one of the busiest periods in my life so far; i think (again, hopefully) it will be calmer for about 10 days from 15/2 to 26/2 in which i plan to publish lots of stuff.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Piero Piccioni - Cronaca Di Una Morte Annunciata
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I had a stroll through the city today in this lovely weather, where I finally picked up something classical, after much hesitation:

Karl Jenkins - The Armed Man: A Mass For Peace
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bob, how do you like thaT? It's one of my all-time favorites along with his REQUIEM and RIVER QUEEN o.s.t
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited
    Don't know yet, but I'm probably going to listen to it tonight. Will post something in the NP thread smile
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Fargo / Barton Fink is an excellent album, i am sure you'll love it. SIGNS is a no comments masterpiece of course and i have no idea how the other one in your list is wink
    Thanks, Demetris, that makes me even more confident about my choices; I didn't know the Signs score got that much praise. The other one (Miller's Crossing) is from another Coen brothers film (who also did Fargo and Barton Fink, just in case you don't know who they are wink, don't mean to insult anyone's film knowledge). What I can remember from the film is big orchestral stuff that almost reminded me of Lord of the Rings. The film is also about the Irish mob, so that has some influence on the motifs and instruments.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008 edited
    Finally found someone who was selling De Lift score by Dick Maas for a very decent price. This is the Milan release. I've sometimes wondered why no Dutch label ever released certain popular scores and only foreigners wanted to bring them on the market. Milan released a lot of Loek Dikker's scores such as De Vierde Man (The 4th Man) and Het Bittere Kruid (Bitter Herbs), so we owe most of his discography to the Frenchies rolleyes Another great example is Paul Verhoeven's Soldaat van Oranje (Soldier of Orange), which was released on dvd in Great Britain years before we finally got one.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    Yoko Kanno - Arjuna
    Yuki Kajiura - Nowaru (vol 1)
  5. Arrived today:

The Orphanage - Fernando Velázquez

Looking forward to listening to this after reading an upcoming review of Velázquez score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Arrived today:

The Orphanage - Fernando Velázquez

Looking forward to listening to this after reading an upcoming review of Velázquez score.

Who?

You're turning into Joep wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. ORPHANAGE is a very good score!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've seen you people talking about it indeed but i haven't had the chance to listen to it yet. How would you describe it? Instrumentation, style, mood? Michael ? smile
  7. The instrumentation is pretty good. The style is interesting. The mood isn't bad at all.

wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ##$(*#@*~!!!!!